The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Rhodes..Gib Gulibeau and country rock.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 6:57 pm    

Red seems a reasonably hot topic, one of the key figures in West Coast country rock I noticed he appears on a new CD on Beau Town Records http://geocities.com/beautown/

Gib Guilbeau
"Classic Guilbeau (1968-1986)" (Beau Town Records BEA 225001.
A new release of 14 recordings from the late 60's to the mid 80's.
Most noticable to the topic are the tracks:

6. Home of the blues (Johnny Cash) - recorded 1968. Produced by Gib Guilbeau, Gene Parsons and Clarence White, Gib Guilbeau - vocals, guitars Featuring: Clarence White - guitar Gene
Parsons - drums, background vocals
Wayne Moore - bass, background vocals Red Rhodes - steel guitar.
9. Lodi ( John Fogerty) - recorded 1968
* same credits as track 6.
12. Baby lock the door (Guilbeau) - recorded early 70's Produced by Gib Guilbeau. With Gib Guilbeau - vocals, acoustic guitar Featuring: Clarence White - dobro, Red Rhodes - steel guitar. Thad Maxwell - slide dobro Gene Parsons - drums Wayne Moore - bass.

The 1968 tracks are basicall the core of Nashville West, a groundbraeking country rock outfit that folded when Calrence White and Gene Parsons joined the Byrds in 1968.

Red played on a lot of country meets rock experiemtal albums in 1967-1969, these recordings are more evidence to the demand that he was in.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 12:18 am    

Gib by the way,is alive and very well and living in Palmdale,California.I played steel on a session at his studio last week.Albert Lee was also on the session......on piano.While I was there,I ran into Shiloh Records producer Shannon O'Neill and heard some unreleased Sneaky Pete material.Sneak's stuff sounded amazing-as usual. -MJ-

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 6:13 am    

Hiya Michael, I had heard that they've got quite a buzz going on there, Darrell Cotton, Gene Parsons, Sneaky Pete, Wayne Moore and a lot of the old faces have been rumoured to have been there. You too, how cool.

Looking forward to seeing what Gib's going to release next.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 11:50 am    

I'm a die-hard old Byrds fan and I always loved Gene Parson's solo work . He plays some steel himself and Sneaky is also on some stuff as well - and so is Gib....

Still finds a frequent place in my CD rotation.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 3:34 pm    

I think a new solo album is in the works, among the other projects, I think from what Michael and some others have mentioned there will be different projects on Shiloh and Gib's own label.

------------------

Rodney Shuffler

Montgomery, Texas USA (Home of the Bears)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2001 2:54 pm    

My friends Norbert and Thomas Aubrunner put that page together. Thomas is a huge FBB fan and probably knows more about Gib than Gib himself. There's a link to Thomas' page from mine. Thomas has also put together a site for John Beland. There's a lot of bad blood between Gib and John. I don't care much at all for John's personality and I feel he's way too full of himself. My personal opinion. At any rate, there's a lot of info. on Gib, John, Clarence and several other of the country/rock folks on Thomas' page. He loves to trade bootleg stuff and has been a great source for bootleg Clarence White stuff for me. He'll be visiting me in mid-June......I'm looking forward to it, we always enjoy Thomas and his wife Anna.

Funny thing, they are from Vienna, but Norbert (who speaks great English) sounds nearly as Texan as me and plays a mean bluegrass guitar.

------------------

Emmons S-10 P/P

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2001 3:43 pm    

Rodney, I know the website well, and I've interviewed John Beland as well.
John is what I'd call a mysterious character, no doubt there are issues between him and Gib, but I figure they are kind of like loving, fuedal brothers LOL

Actually I noticed that John posted on a similar topic on the Fender Telecaster Forum and he mentioned that he'd love to see a new solo album from Gib.

Regarding Thomas, (I didn't realise that there was a brother helping), I've been meaning to email him and tell him how much I like the site with the Beland, Guilbeau, Dillards etc. Great stuff.

------------------