The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poco- Eagles "farm club"??
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2001 8:05 pm    

Yes, I used to own the Illinois Speed Press album, Duet. It was okay, but not my cuppa tea.

John Macy, I envy you getting to play gigs with Furay. I know he preaches now; does he routinely sing in his church or let others do the music? Regards from Philly,
Jimbeaux

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2001 8:13 pm    

Will: I had two Illinois Speed Press LP's and I enjoyed both.One of these days I'll have to see if I still have 'em.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 4:16 am    

I was kidding about Rusty & the Springfield!
But no matter how many lead guitarists, Rusty could whomp 'em all.
I have wanted to read the Springfield history book, & when it's available again I'll add it to my meager library. I see them for sale at ebay now and then.
I love the Buffalo Springfield anecdotal stuff. I was a 16 year old, die-hard fan in 1967 when they played at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. It took some wheeling & dealing and "political" finessing of my parents to allow me go, since it was 80 miles away and they (rightfully, indeed) didn't trust any of my "gang" to drive on the freeway. Not to worry...we conjured up a good story regarding transportation, but hitch hiked there and halfway back, winding up at a state beach where somebody or other knew somebody who was camping there. It was a real adventure of sorts, but we got to see the Springfield live!

They played there on a Friday and a Saturday night. The Sat. show was loud and spirited, but too short. The real highlight for me was Neil pulling a Twin Reverb off a riser, with a 25' coiled cord stretched out to about 40+ feet.
When it hit the floor, we all experienced a spectacular reverb crash that I'm sure would have left even Dick Dale in envy. The amp was a rental from a local guitar store, and a dude who worked there eventually bought it and still owns & plays out with it. He also has a copy of the rental contract with the band's management people.
I attended a Poco concert at Winterland Arena in San Francisco in 1973, and a lot of their road cases were still marked "Buffalo Springfield".
At a Neil Young & The International Harvesters concert I went to at the Greek Theatre in L.A. in 1984, they played "Flying On The Ground Is Wrong". Neil dedicated it to Richie "and the boys", and said he wished they were there to play. The audience ate it up.
Neil also displayed an expert repair to the back of an orange Gretsch hollowbody guitar, explaining that he & Stills had gotten into a fight in the kitchen of Neil's Topanga Canyon house, and he threw it at Stills. He said that in retrospect, he should have picked some other object to hurl at Steve!

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 3:16 pm    

Hi Jim

Furay's church is in Boulder, has been for a number of years-I have never attended (not the joinin' type) but friends of mine have and say Furay does indeed play and sing some every week. There are rumours around here about every 6 months of a revival of some sort, but that has never panned out, and I began ignoring them years ago as wishful thinking on the part of Boulderite music hangers-on with not enough to do....

An interesting note-Back in New York in about Oh 1972, I was dating Benny Goodman's niece (a hot little blonde who got hip to my act and dumped me pretty quick, but was a fast ride while it lasted) She had lined up some front row seats for Poco at CW Post College (a GREAT Venue back then). We were waiting in line to get in when the word came out that Furay had quit the band, wasn't going on, and the show was postponed a week. We went back a week later (at least I lasted THAT long), and saw an absolutely stunning show, but I don't know who replaced him. I was mesmerized by Rusty Young. This was in the "Good Feelin to Know" time. Just killer. Never did get to see them again like that-saw an incarnation much later with Rusty, and he was great, but the magic seemed to be missing then. Quite an era. Saw the "Untitled" Byrds at Wollman rink in Central Park for 2 bucks at the Shaeffer Music Festival that same summer (absolutely the BEST deal in music you could imagine. I saw the Eagles there for $2 as well right after desperado came out. They brought 18 cellists on for half the show-and the rink only held about 3500 at the most. Sebastian used to do at least 2 shows there every summer as well-that was a time to remember- they don't make venues, OR acts like that anymore.)

This is an easy thread to get carried away on.......

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 4:13 pm    

While not an Eagle's expert, I certainly respect and like their music. Call it "Country Rock", or whatever, on most of their songs, they exemplified class and finesse...two terms which I seldom associate with Country-Rock Music. I think they did the same thing for Country-Rock that artists like the Drifters, and Brenda Lee, did for top-40 Rock in the '60s. That is, to add a level of polish and sophistication seldom heard in "the young crowd's music".

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 1:31 pm    

John, one of those early 70's venues here in N.J. was the Capitol Theater in Passaic..it opened shortly after the Fillmore East closed...it was a crummy neighborhood then, even worse now, but a great small theater...John Scher was the producer on most of the shows..I saw Poco there from about 3 rows back, and Rusty Young was the star..

I was going to school at Montclair when I got out of the Army, and I had an apartment in Clifton, one town over from Passaic...WNEW-FM would announce the show, and I'd be at the box office 10 minutes later..if I recall, seats might have been $7 or $8, or maybe as much as $10...

..saw Stills with Irakiri(sp?) there too, Flo and Eddie (The Turtles) opened for him...
saw lots of good shows there..

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:23 pm    

Pat, I saw one show at the Capital in '79, Jerry Jeff Walker opening for Jorma, during his piunk stage. He playedvwith a guy called Benny Bordom. It stunk, spent ,most of their part of the show in the lobby listening to people say "Do you think he'll do an acoustic set?"
By the way, Jerry Jeff was great, but most people were there for the headliner.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 8:15 pm    

I never go to Kingston without eating at "Chez Piggy". He opened that place up in the late '70's when I was in law school there. Real fine place to eat. And yeah, Kingston is a cool little city. I cut my psg teeth in all the saturday nite dances in the little towns in the area, as well as in a local country bar with the improbable name of the "Shamrock". Bruce Hamilton was there at the time as well - he and I share a mentor in the late Tom Keates, who lived in Kingston and was just as fine a steel player as you would ever want to hear. Lots of good club acts came through because it was a big university town. Would see Zal Y from time to time (just hanging out, not performing) at one local club my friends and I would go to - "Dollar Bill's" - it's gone now. Geez, where have the years gone......

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 8:17 pm    

I've never been a big Poco or Eagles fan, although I do enjoy them both: good songwriters no matter how you slice it.

I do strongly disagree, however, with Jason's contention about Joe Walsh: IMO, when Walsh joined the band, they started to get interesting! stronger & more complicated themes in their songs, and killer rock riffin'! I mean, c'mon--yer gonna compare "Life In The Fast Lane" & "Hotel California" to "Peaceful Easy Feeling" & "Desperado" (as good as those songs might be)?

Gimme the Byrd's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" any day.....

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2001 7:05 am    

HOW, it's all a matter of preference, I personally feel that Mr. Walsh is a rock hack of note and that 'Life In The Fast Lane' and 'Hotel California' are the sort of things that should live only in rock cliche and bad songwriting class 101. I mean Metallica writes lyrics that are that bad!

However I agree that the Byrd's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" is a keeper.
Still, it's all a matter of preference, I'm a Bernie Leadon fan and not a Joe Walsh fan, so I'm biased.

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 12:22 am    

Jason-

Right you are, me bucko, right you are! one man's meat is another man's...uhhh...personal preference...or something like that.

I definitely wouldn't argue that the Eagles were especially gifted lyricists, but they did kind of sum up the time & place they were from, in certain ways, in both their songs & their offstage lives. I wouldn't go so far as to call Walsh a hack, 'tho: IMO he's a pretty tasteful player, but whether you think so or not one thing about is undeniable: he demonstrates a sense of humor in his playing that comes across immediately. it's this that I especially enjoy, as I think it's a pretty rare thing.

rock on!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 7:56 am    

His solo albums can be interesting, in fact quite funny and rocking with tasteful playing, sometimes all in the same song.
Always struck me as an interesting guy, but always second stringer guitarist / vocalist / songwriter, but you'll have to forgive me, I've been listening to a lot of live Big Star bootlegs and legit live stuff of late and Alex Chilton had the trio thing down.
I've listened to Big Star stage and rehearsal material from 1973-1974 in the group's final stage and Chilton is a killer, Walsh, Jimmy Page, Clapton etc.. are killed by this Memphis boy's taste and vocals..well the dude can actually sing so well.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 8:12 am    

I gotta go with Jason here. Hotel California, while the biggest seller, is clearly NOT the Eagles best, or even 2nd or 3rd best album. "On the Border" and "One of These Nights" are FAR better, as is "Desperado". By the time Hotel came out, Henly and Frey were writing more for MTV than anything else, as is evident by the cinematic style of all the openings. ("On a dark desert highyway....") The feuding was also going on, and I think it hurt the communal effort. I don't think Walsh added anything to the mix that wasn't already there in the guise of Don Felder. Even when it came out, I was less than impressed, and never bothered to learn anything from it on guitar-my band at the time just kept playing the old stuff. As I recall, the album was ripped to pieces by virtually every reviewer of note-and Rolling Stone called it a pile of self indulgent California crap. Still, it took Fletwood Mac to knock it off the charts many months later with what I thought was a much better album of California music.

Listening to it today, it doesn't hold up. The title cut is pretentious, and the balance of the cuts are forgettable, except perhaps "New Kid in Town". "Life in the Fast Lane" is a cool phrase but a lame song. It's the Eagles' attempt at being a guitar band-and Walsh was better at that without them. I don't think the pairing did either of them any favors.

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 21 January 2001 at 08:15 AM.]

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 9:05 pm    

JB-

perhaps, perhaps, but you're way off re: MTV. "hotel California" was released in '76, if I'm not mistaken; MTV first went on the air in about '82, and went for almost a year before having an impact on the music industry. also, I can overlook pretention, as long as the music hits me in the gut. 'swhy I still like old Yes: despite their overblown bombasticity & lack of songcraft, at times they come across like a virtuoso garage band (and Chris Squire ranks in my top 4 all-time great rock bassists, with John Entwistle, McCartney & Sabbath's Geezer Butler).

jason-

I could not agree with you more re: Chilton/Big Star. just phenomenal everything: playing, arrangements, vocals, melodies, ahhh!!!! THIS is my kind of band! "The Ballad of El Goodo" has been a staple of my acoustic repetoire for years; it is simply a nugget of pop perfection. As much as I love Cheap Trick, their cover of "On the Street" for That 70's Show adds absolutely nothing to the song. Why the producers didn't use the original is beyond me; they probably could have licensed it for less than the cost of the Cheap Trick version.

If you have the chance to catch Chilton live, do so! He's terrific, and has got a magic hat full of oddball covers that play perfectly in his hands.