The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question: Buy Lap Steel or Convert Normal Guitar?
Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 10:33 am    

I play the steel guitar (also called Hawaiian Guitar) in the Indian Music. I
am in the market for a electric steel guitar. There are two possibilities
for me:

(1) Buy a normal recent electric guitar. Raise the strings using a bridge (nut)
and play it as a steel guitar. (could convert it back to a normal guitar
later also).

(2) Buy a 1940's lap steel guitar. The total string length is quite a bit smaller than the one in option 1.

So what do the real masters of steel guitar play most often? Option (1) or (2)?

First Concern is the age of the guitars: What are the pros and cons of either of the approaches? With option (1), I get a more recent guitar and more choices. With option (2) the guitar is 50-60 years old. Is a 60 yr old guitar, and its electronics, OK? The sales people tell me that a older guitar is actually a good thing, the wood is better conditioned etc. I am more concerned about the electronics being obsolete, or easy to break down.

The second concern is String length: The string length of the lap steel is quite a bit smaller than the normal guitars. I am just concerned that I may not be able to play the higher notes well enough. (If my memory serves me right, the acoustic lap steel I played in India was in between the length of a lap steel and normal.) I haven't playes as small a string as the one in option (2). Is the smaller length going to be problem? I feel ackward with smaller string, although it may be just a matter of getting used to it. The string length of option (1) is longer, is that a poblem? More drooping, perhaps. The salesman I am talkig to insists that it is better to go with a option (2) and buy a real steel lap guitar and not convert the guitar.

Third concern is number of pickups: The normal guitars will 2 or 3 pickups. The laps I am looking at have only one pickup. I have to admit that when I tried the two guitars, the sound of the lap steel (option 2) is really nice as one imagines a canonical steel guitar should be. I cannot test the sound of steel on a normal guitar as the sales people would not let me use a nut to raise the strings to play the normal guitar as a steel. Although the comparison then is a little unfair, but nevertheless the normal guitar didn't sound as good.

Question to the group: Which one should I buy?

Thanks for any replies. I'd appreciate if you could also Email any replies to surinder@ieee.org

Thanks.

Surinder Singh

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 21 June 2000 at 04:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 21 June 2000 at 04:29 PM.]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 9:40 am    

Buy a Lap steel....scale, nut and bridge is already set up for you, and it can take the tension of heavier gauge strings that will give you a better tone
Mike

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 10:39 am    

You might consider buying a new lap steel from the people that make Mellobar lap steels. I think they are called Smith Family Music. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)Their prices are very reasonable and They are ruggedly built with good tone. They also look nice. I don't get any commision for saying this,it's just how I feel.
All the best,-Andy

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 5:56 pm    

Surinder:
You mention both shorter scale length and a single pickup as possible drawbacks of a lap steel. Some Melobar models have 24-1/2" rather than 22-3/4" scale. The Supersteel model, which is based on the Fender Stringmaster, comes with two pickups and a blender switch, and can be ordered with a 26"
scale.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 4:18 am    

Morrell builds a nice six string student guitar that is basic .Ernie's Music has Morrells. He is listed on the link page on the Forum.Ernie also teaches steel guitar .Brad's Page of Steel is a great site for info on steels.Ebay may have what you want.