The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inflated Lap Steel Prices?
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 4:28 am    

I am judging by prices of E-bay and other sites on the internet. I have (3) lapsteels. A 1953 Gibson, a 1959 Gibson, and a 1940's Rickenbacker. I purchased all three for under $300.00 total (Yes, 15 or 20 years ago). I would be lucky to find any of these for that price, or under $500.00. They have all but disappeared in the Atlanta area anyway. I have not seen the price of pedal steels infate as much. Anyone have a take on what spawned this.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 4:50 am    

Where else but in the lap steel market can you get a vintage Gibson, Fender or Rickenbacker musical instrument for less that $1000? 1950's Telecasters, Strats and Les Pauls are often times fetching prices greater than 10K, and unless you have unlimited bucks you can't really play in that arena.

It you are into collecting instruments, it is still relatively cheap, easy and fun to focus your collection on lap steels. There are so many designs and models of lap steels. Everything from cool art-deco models that resemble NYC sky scrapers to downright ugly rectangles that I wonder what the hell the manufacturers were thinking when they designed that one.

But I agree with you, I'd love to find a vintage Rickenbacker in the back of a music store for $40.

Years ago you could find cool instruments at garage sales. Old folks cleaning out their attics and selling these things for a song. What happened to all those old folks? And why do those college kids look so young?

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 24 June 2000 at 05:21 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 3:00 pm    

Yes, the old lap steels are increasing in value at a greater rate than the old pedal steels. Back in the 70's and early 80's most any old lap steel could be had for $50. I had 2 or 3 given to me for free (Fender Champ, Supros) and I sold them for $40 each. Those days are long gone.

Non-pedal steel is pretty popular nowadays with the young alternative-country crowd. Artists like Junior Brown and BR549 have done a lot to popularize the non-pedal steel. And, of course, "vintage" is cool. It's not just Fenders and Ricks... even Supros, Oahus, and Nationals have suddenly become desirable.

I recently acquired a 1958 D-6 Oahu with 4 extended legs, and I bring it to gigs and set it up next to my pedal steel. I run both steels through an A-B box so that I can switch easily from one instrument to the other. You wouldn't believe how much more the people notice the steel player when he is standing up next to the other musicians on stage. And wow... is it fun to play standing up for a change! That's another thread altogether.

Anyway, I believe that 50 years from now the lap steels from the 1930's, 40's and 50's will be highly sought after, while the most of the "pedal steels" from that era (and from today) will be dinasaurs. Pedal steels are mechanical in nature and are therefore frozen in the technology of the era. The Multi-Kord, the Fenders with cables, the Sho-Buds with brass tuning collars, and most pedal steels from the 70's with limited raising and lowering capabilities are not practical for the modern player who demands triple raise/double lower and accurate tuning mechanisms. Sure the pedal steel will always be around, and it will make more advances in technology. But the lap steel will always be popular because of it's sheer simplicity and beauty. I'm through preaching now!

dougb

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 24 June 2000 at 04:04 PM.]