The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need some help with my T8 Stringmaster
Ian Campbell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 9:56 am    

I know questions get asked a lot about these guitars on here but I finally gave in looking around for a new steel and got a 50's T8 Stringmaster. It's in good condition, but I'm wondering :

1. What would would be the best combination of tunings to use?

2. What would be the most effective string guages for said tunings?

3.And when I re-string and set-up, what are the main areas to watch out for [Nut height, distance between pickups and strings etc.]so it all sounds how it should?

It's a bit of a step up from my little Champion 6string ! I know there'll be a lot to learn and I like that but any help along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ian Campbell

[This message was edited by Ian Campbell on 21 June 2000 at 11:08 AM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 8:56 am    

1) I'd suggest A6, E13, and B11.

C6 E13 B11

1 G 1 E 1 E
2 E 2 C# 2 C#
3 C 3 B 3 A
4 A 4 G# 4 F#
5 G 5 F# 5 D#
6 E 6 D 6 C#
7 C 7 G# 7 A
8 A 8 E 8 B

2) Check b0b's string gauge charts.
3) I'm not sure what to say about number 3. Unless you have specific problems with the guitar, it should be fine using the default pickup height, etc.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 22 June 2000 at 09:56 AM.]

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 2:37 pm    

Ian, I wondered what kind of music you'd be making on this Stringmaster. Brad's got some nice suggestions as it stands.

I think he said A6 and listed C6, both have several variations. Lots of western swing has been played on both tunings as well as the E13.

The "Jerry Byrd" tuning, C6/A7 is nice to have because it's so versatile. For 7 string it goes:

E
C
A
G
E
C#
C

He's used it to play Hawaiian, Pop, Country, Spanish.

Some of us are using a close relative of this tuning, a C major pentatonic, the bottom D can be retuned on the fly for the C6/A7. It's not a strum tuning, but offers the advantages of the C6th plus somewhat easier scale/mode pockets IMO.

D (pitch is between 2nd str E & 3rd str C)
E
C
A
G
E
D
C

This one can be retuned for the following tuning, but with slightly altered grips.

Also, if you're looking for a modern, unique tuning that can play some fuller pop chords, the Leavitt tuning is an interesting approach. This is the low bass version.

D .017
C .018
Bb .021
G .024w
E .030w
C# .036w
Eb .058w
C .064w

Forumite/musician Mike Ihde has some nice cassettes & tab available on this tuning.

I have a T8 Stringmaster, mid 50's. The nut doesn't adjust up or down. The bridges have intonation adjustments at each end and should be adjusted (once you settle on your string gauges and tunings) to get the 12th string harmonics to be right over the 12th fret.

IMO, the point of departure for pickup heights should be 3/16" from top of pickup to bottom of strings. From there adjust bass or treble sides up or down to get best string response for given tuning. I'd avoid having the pickups up high enough so that the strings contact the tops of the pickup while you're playing. If you've got the blend controls, my favored setting is full clockwise - i.e. both pickups full on - gives fuller, richer low end.

Check out Brad's Page of Steel for more tunings, or feel free to post some more questions.

Hope this helps, Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Kagy on 22 June 2000 at 03:39 PM.]