The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dobroism" ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 4:29 pm    

Anybody out there using the dobroism effect on there Smith Family Music steels ?

How does it compare to the Matchbro box ?

thanks , Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 8:33 am    

Bob, I've didn't see this post till now and I thought I'd better address it. We don't want the dobroism to compete with the Matchbro, The Goodrich folks are a decent small company that I want to help out if we can.

The dobroism came about from a conversation with Buddy Emmons at a NAMM show a few years ago, he designed the Matchbro which is basically a preset wide band EQ, and Buddy suggested we incorporate that into an onboard system to give Melobar's a resonator guitar sound at the flip of a switch. I ran the idea by Matchbro but they didn't want to change the circuits to what we needed and make it as compact, so we took it to Tim Caswell who was the electronics tech. for SIR studios and had him build us a solid state system.

It's basically the same idea, and with some of the high end Roland multi-effects you can closely simulate the sound. I was raised with the true acoustic tone of good Dobros and I wouldn't say that it will ever replace the trueness of acoustics, but once you try amplifying a Dobro - it gets really tough and you loose the acoustic trueness anyway along with feedback headaches. So in a live loud amplified situation, the dobroism or Matchbro work well.

Hope that helps,

Ted