The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help needed restoring Bakelite Rick
Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 5:17 am    

1) I have a pre WW II Bakelite Rickenbacher I'm restoring and the 1 1/2"pickup seems to have lost some of it's magnetic charge.
Who repairs these and can remagnetize it? It's low in output but the coil seems fine. I'd like to measure it tho...anyone know what the output should measure with a multimeter?

2) Also, I need some old knobs that'll look right!

3) Anyone make repro tuners that'll look right too? Are the old ones Waverly?

Thanks! Lew

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 6:20 am    

Lew,

I can help you out with some of your questions. It might be easier for me if you could call--I'm slow on the keyboard. Daytime is best.

Bob Stone
352-375-5461

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 09 June 2000 at 07:21 AM.]

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 6:09 pm    

The magnets on those are not really high pull especially after 50 years, the coil should be 6-7K, I have re-wound those without fussing with re-charging the magnets and they should have a lot of output anyway. You may have poor contact in the pots or connections from corrosion or dirt that is limiting output.

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 5:22 am    

Thanks! You may be right...I opened her up last night and the pots, cap and wiring are all original but pretty shakey and barely connected. Most of the wiring is broken off and only a few strands of wire are still making contact. I think I'll start by cleaning up all the wiring and resoldering everything more neatly. I think I can reuse everything including the old wiring. Cool old bakelite Centralab pots...hope they work, cuz I'd hate to replace them. Thanks
again! Lew

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 5:21 am    

Lew,
Have you tried to fix your wiring yet and if so did it work. After reading your post I checked my bakelite rick against my frying pan and it sounded thin and weak by comparison, I have never opened it up but I may have the same problem as you.

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 6:07 pm    

After you get done with reconnecting everything dont neglect to clean the output jack, I have had a couple guitars in from Hawaii that had no output at all just from corrosion due to humidity at the jack contact.

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 6:18 am    

Thanks guys! I pretty much desoldered and removed all the old solder and then, using the original cloth covered wiring, resoldered every connection. Big help. The pickup has alot more "pickup" now. But the lowest string ("G" on mine...I use high G bluegrass tuning: GBDGBD)still has less volume than the others. So I loosened the mounting screws and moved the pickup over a bit to get the polepieces better centered under the strings. That improved things alot, but not enough. So I removed the pickup and actually loosened the screws holding the bobbin to the magnets and moved the bobben over about 1/32"...that's all the play I could get out of it without enlarging th screw holes. But it was enough to get the polepiece under the lowest string and now it's almost balanced with the other strings but still a little weak. If the polepieces on this pickup are little magnets, it would appear that the lowest one is a little weak. Now, if I could just get rid of some of the excess hum! I suspect a ground loop...which means one more round of desoldering. Unless there's a real, hidden problem, I think I'll be able to get it right this next time. I'll keep you posted....now, if I could just find some suitable tuning heads and knobs that look like the originals!

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 9:39 am    

The poles are not magnets they are just slugs and the problem with that pickup is the outside poles should be repositioned but I wouldn't do that unless you want to risk re-winding it, it can be done but you are taking a chance. The coil is wound directly contacting the poles and you could short it out moving them. Best to adjust your string gauge and pickup height or have it done for you. Its a $50 dollar job if it needs to be rewound because of the dissassmbly time and construction details, the coil is bonded not waxed so its more time consuming to remove the old coil if needed. The bobbins are brittle too and could be broken if you fuss with it.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 9:31 am    

My good friend Wayne Tanner refurbished Jerry Byrd's Ric on display at the Hall of Fame in Nashville. He has some excellent knowledge and equipment contacts. If you're interested in contacting him, email me.

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 8:26 pm    

Thanks Ray...I talked to Wayne today! Nice guy, super knowledgable about Rickenbackers and from what I could hear over the phone, a fine player. Bob Stone was kind enough to put me in touch with him. Thanks! Lew