The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joaquino Sighted on eBay
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 6:46 am    

Get out your magnifying glasses. Get on eBay. Type in " three stooges 1-sheet ". Look in the upper right-hand corner. Who's the man with the Lap steel ? You got it !

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 7:07 am    

You can explain why you are browsing ebay for Three Stooges stuff later

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 10:08 am    

Joaquin told me about that experience.He said when they were making all those westerns,they would just show up to shoot their segment with no real knowledge of the storyline or script.He told me he never actually saw many of the films when they were released,either.Anyway,one day when lights and cameras were being set up and the band was setting up their gear and running thru the songs,etc."Suddenly" he said. "I look up and there's the Three damn Stooges standin' around smoking cigarettes and watchin us play" Joaquin said he had no idea why they were there and how they figured into the proceedings.Only later did he realize that they were actually gonna be IN the movie.I've not seen the film but Bobby Black saw it and told me Joaquin gets some nice close up and overhead shots.By the way,he's playing a D-8 Bigsby LAP steel in the movie-now owned by Chas Smith and the same one that was passed around at the gathering following Joaquin's funeral last year.
One other interesting fact is that Joaquin and other band members were often utilized as extras in other scenes in those westerns portraying outlaws on horseback,gamblers in saloons,etc. -MJ-

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 10:31 am    

How do we get a copy of this movie?

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 12:56 pm    

Michael: Thanks for the wonderful slice of history.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 6:03 pm    

Wow. The Three Stooges and Spade Cooley, all in one movie. Like Smiley said, how do we get a copy??

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 9:08 pm    

" Rockin' in the Rockies" can be purchased through www.hoosierhotshots.com. Let's hear some comments after some of you get a hold of it. I haven't gotten it yet.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 12:46 pm    

While we're on the topic, how 'bout a plug for the Hoosier Hotshots. They're another good reason to see the film, bringing our total to two.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 11:10 pm    

Even the film title is pretty cool, but what was 'rockin' supposed to mean in the 1940's!
Hmmmmmmmm

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 4:41 am    

Hey Jason,I think you latched on to a great hook line there. Hang on to it.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 10:31 am    

Jason-
This a little off thread but I read a great book by Nick Tosches called "Country-The Twisted Roots Of Rock & Roll" where he traces the phrase "rock & roll" back to a mid 17th century English sea chanty which goes,in part:"Rock & Roll Me Johnny Bowder......." in this context it seems to refer to having sex.Nothing new under the sun.Coincidently,in the same book,Joaquin is mentioned along with Bob Dunn and other early steel players as well as a well researched account of the development of steel guitar.There's also a gritty,behind the scenes narrative of Spade Cooley's downfall and lots more good trash.Check it out. -MJ-

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 1:40 pm    

quote:
They're another good reason to see the film, bringing our total to two.

If you count the Three Stooges (I know I do!), then it's a total of 5 reasons to see this!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 7:37 am    

Michael,
I am a big fan of Nick's work and his other books are just as fine, nasty sweaty and as funky as the bottom of any motels matress after a tour band's visit.
I got a real kick out of his work, although I don't have quite the recall that you seem to have.
Just trying to figure out how the Three Stooges decided to use that title. Rockin' indeed.
Never got into the 'Stooges' though, Monty Python, Abbot & Costello, Laurel & Hardy anytime. The stooges..no.
Aquired taste maybe.
By the way, we never see Westerns that were made earlier than about 1950, I have no idea why. It must be a cultural thing. We get plenty of 1950's to current ones.
For gawdsakes, just about every night on the ABC you can watch a British film from anywhere between the 1930's to the 1950's..so unfair!
The cultural stations are so anti-American and the commercial ones don't do black & white fims anymore, or at least it seems that way.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 11:23 pm    

The Stooges rule! They were the ultimate in primal,elemental humor - broad,simple and direct.They were the Ernest Tubbs of mindless,infantile slapstick.However,there's a lot of sophisticated double entendres(a la Groucho)in there,too.Who can forget Curly Joe's line to one fine young thang: "If at first you don't succeed-keep on suckin' till you DO suc-ceed...nyuk,nyuk,nyuk.."
Edgier than Laurel&Hardy and more vaudevillian than the Marx Bros....WAY ahead of their time-kind of like the "Beavis & Butthead","South Park" or "Benny Hill" of the 1940s.I've often heard Hollywood oldtimers tell the story that whenever you see a beautiful chick in one of their films,she got the gig by "partying" with the stooges.Just a rumor,mind you - nothing like that could ever actually happen in show bidness.....not in Hollywood. -MJ-