The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Parts on Lap Steel?!?
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 7:18 am    

Hello, I am wanting to chang the tuners and the nut on my lap steel. Can anyone tell me a good replacement for them. I have had good luck with bone nuts on my regular guitar, but I am not sure that will sound good with lap steel. The tuners that are on it now are terrible and I would like to put some good tuners on there....any suggestions? Also I have a seymor duncan HotRail single coil pick up that is laying around. I am thinking of throwing that in. Anyone try that in their lap steel. Any help would be great. Thanks!

mark

Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 10:25 am    

Mark, try Stewart Macdonald guitar supply (www.stewmac.com). They've got tons of tuners etc. I'd also give Ted at Melobar.com a call (1-800-942-6509). He stocks Grovers and many other parts for the cool laps he builds. I've got a Duncan Hot Rails in my Strat and it smokes! That should make a ragin' lap pickup.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 10:29 am    

Aloha Mark,
On an Electric Steel, a Hardened steel nut has the best sustaining and tonal qualities, on acoustic, bone is fine, you don't say what brand or type of steel you have, but changing tuners is no big deal, ( Unless you have an old Rick)...Grovers or Schallers work well,
good luck,
Mike
PS I'm sure the Duncan PU will be fine,

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 6:45 am    

I have a Morrell that I am trying to make into a rockin geeetar. I just need some info on nuts to use. I hate the plastic one that was put on it and need some info. on what is prefered and where to purchase it.
thanks

Mark