The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possible source for Lap Steel stands?
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 5:40 am    

Gracie Stands is a company I noticed in the latest issue of Guitar Player magazine. They make performance stands for many types of stringed instruments. Would their Dobro stand work for a lap steel? Anyone try these?
http://www.graciestands.com/perfstands.htm

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 31 May 2000 3:56 pm    

I did try the Gracie dobro stand. It is very specifically made for dobro. I thought I could adapt to a lap steel but could not. I had to send it back. It was also quite heavy since they basically adapt some drum hardware for the base.

I finally got an 'x' stand made for keyboards. Price range is $40 +/-. Works great!! for me. The only trick is that it typically only works for standing up unless your lap steel is long enough to work in any position. But it's cheap, light, sets up fast. I purchased the Ultimate Support X stand. There are others. good luck!

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature Run Wild"

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2000 6:04 am    

Here's an alternative suggestion. "X" type stands don't work for me because I need lots of room under my steel for my pedal board.

I just bought a "platform" style keyboard stand from Sam Ash over the weekend for $45. It's decently sturdy and light.

On Stage (aka Music People) also sells this same exact stand. I believe Kaman is distributing them.

Anyway, the On Stage model# is a KS7100, bottom left page 9.
http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog.pdf

EugieBaange

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2000 8:24 am    

I have 2 guitar shaped laps that measured
about 19" side-by-side across the lower bouts. I found that the Ultimate Double-X
Model 2000 (I think) was perfect. I put my volume and delay pedals off to the side and
an A/B box underneath. Works OK.
One problem I had was that the top of the stand is slippery so I got some copper pipe insulation and wrapped it around the top bars with electicians tape. Perfecto!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2000 8:45 am    

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 8:30 am    

Hoffnar does it again- almost out Bovined Earnest!
A picture is truly worth a thousand laughs!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 9:45 am    

Good thinking, Bob. It's always best to use something that we already have around the house.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 10:52 pm    

Gerald, hi, how's life? Funny, we have a built-in stand for these things right up above our thighs... I posted a while back about a stand I got in a lap steel deal...all I can find for info is: Hines Products Corp-Johnson City, Tenn. 37602- Should be easy to track down- It works great with my S-8 Sierra, and fits Melobar, Morrell and other 6 and 8 string single necks well. It's an X-type, pretty stable and obviously made for lap steel. And you might want to check out the new holders from melobar, a foam gizmo you wear with a strap, basically changes a lap steel into a wearable "dobro" configuration. Very clever and useful if your band plays the Macarena or anything where you have to dance...If you have a pedalboard you might try my old guitar trick- saw a 2x4 in half on the diagonal at the width of your pedalboard, you can attach the two (slanted) bits to the bottom of your board and it should fit well over any mikestand base (x-shaped keyboard stand, etc.) plus giving you a better slant on your pedals.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro