Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Californy folk please???
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2012 9:24 am    

another email about Norm Forrest:
Quote:
Hi Bob
I ran across a blog and it mentioned Norm Forrest in it. I have offen wondered what ever happened to him. I played in one of his bands around 1972 in Colorado. I played guitar on and off for him. He was a great guy and I got to know him well. The last time I spoke to him was sometime in the early 70's when he called me to tell me he moved to Tennessee. I'm glad I ran across that blog you wrote.
Thanks
Ed Hirt

Jay Dee Maness

North Hills, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 8:04 pm     west coast players and singers

I played steel with all of the names in the first listing and many of the ones listed later in the post.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 12:45 am    

An update on a couple of names in this thread:

Drummer MONTE PAUL died several months ago, after a long bout with alzheimers.

Drummer AL BROWN is still alive and kicking and gigging in SoCal.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 11:44 am    

Wow, even this thread has become a reminiscence!

Sorry to hear about Tommy Holbrooks. I worked with him at the Nashville Nevada in 1971. The other night "Viva Las Vegas" was on, and I yelled "Kathy! There's the Nashville Nevada down there!!" during the scene when Elvis flys the helicopter over Fremont St.

And my wife says "yes, Herb. The place you played back in the day. Like you say every time we watch this movie."

It's hell getting old... just sayin'.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2012 10:43 pm    

Boomer wrote:
...I am on the new CD... Nashville Guitars...My cut is entitled "Fender Bender"...

Just listened to this track and wow, what great playing! Very Happy
This is an interesting thread. Having grown up on the East coast a bit later, its fascinating California musicology.

Clete

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 10:01 pm    

The culture of the California Country Music Association trying to be like The Academy of Country Music that was design by the MAD to close down all the night clubs added a full out of the Musicians Union not be strong in Southern California for us pickers, but, to take our money they didn't help the mix up to how Nashville took over the real deals of the music business here in Southern California ,let alone the State. That is also how most Radio Stations became a big part of booking Artist as the outlet of control. Now,today world in this music business is harder,but,can be over come in your dreams just like the medical insurance of Dental + Vision + Life + Disability + Medicare and you can add in Auto + Home + Motorcycle + Recreational Vehicle with Water Craft. Now you see that how out of line it is when other want out of you what you can't get out of yourself.Thanks to so many who helped build The Academy of Country Music for the handful who are running out of Nashville. It's all about the MONEY today.I'm gonna get me some,how about YOU? Winking Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.= Uncle Leo, not working at the car wash blues

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 10:01 am    

leo..please explain how medical insurance can be had by a self employed person with very little income.

300-400 a month is over 4000 yr...not feasible.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 10:24 am     Don't Change The Subject!

This topic is supposed to be about music and musicians, not insurance.

Leo and Chris: DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT! Mad

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 4:40 pm    

I'm with you on that Bob.I'm not change it at all.What I am saying is that if most Musicians would look at it in them early days of being self claim supporters of taking care of business and not letting people get in their way,all these things would be in your hands if that's what you really wanted.So,I'm not changing nothing with out everybody aboard to do it.Beside,I'm not God anyway,I'm Uncle Leo.Thanks! Winking

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2012 6:50 am    

Doesn't the Nashville Nevada, at least the exterior, appear in the James Bond - Diamonds Are Forever - film from 1971?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2012 2:35 pm    

Jason,How come you're the only one who gets it? Uncle Leo! Winking

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2012 6:10 pm    

Bump: Don't change the subject it's right on. This Topic is the life line of Southern California Musicians let alone the world. Bring it on back Jason. So far you've helped many to get to know who's who and from where. Winking Leo J Eiffert,Jr.= Uncle Leo Rolling Eyes

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2012 2:30 pm    

TTT! Winking Uncle Leo

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2012 5:05 pm    

Come on back Jason! You're the blood line from the out side world who knows what when on in Southern California to Bakersfield to border of Mexico with Country Music Musicians and Night Clubs. Your Topic was on a roll for us.Who are the out laws of music in California Musicians that took the high roll to Nashville to New York that controls right into L.A.'s Hollywood scene. All of this is nothing new with todays world of Country Music here in 2012. Just new faces with old dogs and cats behind the doors.Unless you have lived the life of a real musician songwriter who never got any respect from banks in our day,Business is the same today in 2012.Please don't fall off your Topic and all you boomers out there jump in and give your side of the truth in Southern California who's who and why nobody knows who we are but this circle family in our little world of musicians. Cool Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. Winking

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:46 pm    

Bump: I'm waiting for Jason to finish up the title of his Topic with all the ins of Southern California Musicians/Songwriters/Record Producers and so forth.I Understand why most won't answer on this matter because of how the past is revealing what Jason's Topic is Titled. The truth is hurting a lot of how most got credit for what they really didn't do here in Southern California on sessions/song writing and so forth.Just like the ones who are taking credit for making the ACM what it is today.Happy Birthday on April 1,2012.Sincerely in Country Music and other styles,Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2012 4:15 am    

Hi Leo, I thought this topic had run it's course, just noticed you've been bumping it along.

I set up some pages about west coast country music.

Countryside Ranch (Mike Nesmith's label, studio and country band) www.facebook.com/pages/Countryside-Ranch/258062220871740

Cal's Corral and Country Music Time TV shows:
www.facebook.com/pages/Cals-Corral-Country-Music-Time/243359362410795

Star Route television show:
www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Route/216432825120473

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2012 12:11 pm    

Thanks a million Jason. Your years of keeping up with this California music scene is very vital to all from you as well as many others in the voice of vocal words .I'm just a little part of it from the 60s,70s,80s,90s,2000 and so on.Same in these years with Nashville to Alabama's Jam in Forth Payne.I only have thirty years left to get it right and fix what is not wrong. Whoa! them dark eyes are on me! Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. Winking

Scott Wehmeyer

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 6:46 pm    

Can any of you guys ID the band members in the photos?

Rose and Cal in the middle, who are the band members?

I recognize Merle and Fuzzy, who are the other guys?

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2012 6:06 am    

The Strangers might be Jerry Ward on bass, Andy Stewart on guitar, ?? on drums and Fuzzy Owens on steel...