The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Californy folk please???
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 5:40 pm    

Actually Boomer I agree with you a 100%, it's a change in climate, plus their was a record company push for softer groups, that leaned towards the Eagles..which was fine but didn't leave much room for older pickers or 'hot' players. Too country in other words.
Plus their were things like the Countryside label debacle and labels like Capitol and Elektra setting their sites on Nashville rather than SoCal talent and studios.

Bakersfield too, even with it's heyday in the 1960's it really was the end of an era, guys like Gary Paxton, who had studios and a record store went bust around 1970 and had to close the lot. Mosrite and Fender sold themselvesinto deals that went really wrong in the late 1960's, heck, Mosrite folded in '69 and around 1968 Capitol Records dumped the likes of Red Simpson and the Gosdin Brothers..how they justified that is beyond me. So yeah I dig what you're saying and I couldn't blame anyone for bailing, and when i mean bailing I meant as 'leaving' rather than deserting. I'll try to word things a little better next time *smile*

By the way Boomer, who were you playing with before you left town?

Regards from the always 'curious' Mr. Odd

------------------

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 8:34 pm    

Jason - When I left in 1974, I was playing with a trio (Spider Web on drums, Jimmy Collins on bass) at a place called "The Ground Round" in Costa Mesa, CA. I was driving 140 miles/day to and from the gig and had decided since I had good contacts in Nashville, TN, a move to that part of the country would be to my best interests. With the help of Gregg Galbreath by way of getting work when I arrived, it was a smooth transition.

Actually Moserite didn't fold altogether. Semie Mosely moved the operation to North Carolina where he did limited business for some time afterwards.

Gary Paxton, by his own admission, had a substance abuse problem back then which didn't help his matters in times of crisis. Best, Boomer

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2000 1:37 pm    

Hi Boomer,
sounds like a nice little trio you had going there, but that's not 'the' Jimmy Collins who played steel for Wynn Stewart and Big Al De Noone, was he another one of these bass playing steelplayers?
I think the story with the Mosley business, was that they went into a deal and lost the Mosrite name for a little while and in '69 the factory was actually all chained off tp prevent them from trading, taking any stock or parts. I've heard stories that they snuck some stuff out, but either way Semie did keep on making them. There was Grugget Guitars as well, they were a spin off and went bust as well. Kept making guitars though, which is pretty cool in my opinion.

I got an interesting email this morning to, from John Delgatto from Sierra Records..do any of you gentlemen remember this group?

From John.

quote:
Have you ever heard of a country group from LA in 1967 called "The
Roustabouts"--they use to play the Nashville West club in El Monte, CA. (Another one of my missed opportunities, the club was standing until the early 80's but I was too stupid not to take a picture of the place!). It is of course now gone. The location is only about 5 miles from where I live.

Any ideas anyone?

------------------

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 6:39 am    

Hey Jason,
I think it's Big Jim DeNoon instead of Al. He had a TV show in the 50's called the Hoffman Hayride I believe. I think Bobby Black played steel for him on it. Hey Boomer, I was living in Costa Mesa in '74. What street was that place located on?

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 1:07 pm    

Ahh yes, you are right again Jerry.
Big Jim..who I believe had Bobby, Jimmy Collins, etc there. I believe that Tom Bradshaw even did a very short stint on Big Jim's show the early 1950's.
Oh yeah and wehn Ferlin Husky first came out west in 1949 he was on Big Jim's show.

------------------

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 12:15 am    

Jerry - I can't remember the street the "Ground Round" was on. I just know it was 70 miles from Woodland Hills, and that was too far for me. Herb's memory is in my favor, I guess that's why I love him. As I remember I got in a fight with the boxing instructor for the YMCA when we were in the club. I was getting the worst of it when a person named Charlie broke it up. She was my girlfriend at the time; I think I'd rather gotten a country whoopin' than to suffer that humiliation.
Jason, I know Bill Hullett well; we do a lot of work together. I'd like to talk to him about that night, as, if my memory serves me correctly, I was at the Jack when Clarence suffered that fateful accident. I'll let you know after speaking to him. Best, Boomer

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 9:05 am    

Question for Jason - What ever happened to the lady who hit Clarence and Roland? It seems to me she was intoxicated that night, and, as I recall was not a U.S. citizen. Let me know. Best, Boomer

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 6:56 pm    

Hiya Boomer, regarding Miss Yoko Ito, I don't believe she did time, but no-one seems to know for sure.
Something like a suspended sentence.
But that might be one of those rumours.

The word is that this was a long unknown tibbit of information and when word got around to Japanese bluegrass / Clarence White fans, well they were quite distressed that a Japanese American had run down Clarence.
I really can't say for sure, but I don't think it became much of a court case, I thought that perhaps the court case where bar and club owners might be liable for drunken patrons, might have resulted from this unfortunate event. But at the time there seems to have been next to no real coverage. I think in local papers, Clarence was mentioned as any other citizen, and no mention of his musical career.
Bluegrass Unlimited did a '73 one page tribute, mainly with a big photo of Clarence, but having said that most bluegrass fans would have thought that Clarence had retired or something, given the little crossover between contemporary country music fans and bluegrass fans.

His last project the Muleskinner LP may have changed all this, had he lived and been around to promote the album, as Warners sat on it until '74...let it sink into obscurity and delete it!
Thanks to John Delgatto for bringing it back, it's a really good album.

Interesting Boomer, I've been trying to track down Bill via email, but do you still keep in contact with Ethan Reilly?
Ethan played on “Judy Mae”, and well you know him, I don't need to go on.
We've been exchanging emails about the Pal' bands etc and he mentioned you. If you don't want an email I can pass it on, off forum if you email me.

Quote:
I used to play ocassionally with Boomer. He had a Telecaster with six palm pedals and played and sang quite nicely.

That sez it all really. Although I would have to say that in a couple of country bars I could have done with anyone to have saved me. There's really nothing more humiliating than walking around trying to hold your split chin together while the guy that did it is bragging to his buddies two feet away!

------------------

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 9:00 pm    

Amen to that, brother. But you should'a seen what my face did to his knuckles! Just ask my girlfriend as she kept him off of me Best, Boomer

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 5:53 am    

Ah yes, knuckles tend to bruise and the skin gets rough, or so I hear...

Boomer, your track 'Judy Mae' can be found on Rhino’s “Super Hits of the Seventies - Have a Nice Day, Volume 20”...do you have any of your other stuff that's out on CD, old or new?

By the way, that girlfriend, was she a keeper?

------------------

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 5:33 am    

Jason - Unfortunately Charlie and I parted ways. She was pretty hot stuff. I am on the new CD out of Nashville entitled Nashville Guitars, wherein Louie Shelton produced eleven different guitarists on instrumentals each had written for a compilation album on Nuance Records. My cut is entitled "Fender Bender". It can be ordered at www.the-record-store.com/nuancerecords.htm. I also recorded with a retro sounding band a la the era we've been talking about (late sixties California country rock) called Mr. Hyde. No label for it as yet. Best, Boomer

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2000 6:03 am    

I'm onto it Boomer, keep us informed when Mr. Hyde get a deal, it'll be great!

------------------

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 6:59 pm     Norm Forrest - country singer

received via email today:
Quote:
I saw an inquiry on Steel guitar forum dated 2000 where a guy was asking about Norm [Forrest]. If they are still interested, Norm passed away maybe 8 years ago, don't remember exactly. He died of cancer. He was a friend of mine. He and his wife, who is still living, just turned 70, ran an antiques and home decor shop in Nolensville, Tenn. for a number of years. She and I are both currently connected with an antique shop in Franklin, TN and are still friends. We had a suprise birthday party for her recently. She said they were married for 40 years. That brought Norm to mind and I got out my CD he gave me and played it. A friend and I wanted to know more about his career and looked online. We found some information. I think he had a beautiful voice as good as Ray Price. He was a kind man with a wonderful spirit. He and his entire family are good people I am happy to know. A fan in tennessee.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 8:38 am    

did anyone know drummers tony dey with the stone ponies and steve namle when at the palomino?

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 3:04 pm    

Jason:

In scrolling through your posts and replies by Forum Members, There are so many mentioned that I knew and/or played with over the 60's and 70's.

Drummer Monty Paul came down with severe Alzeimers Disease about four years ago and had to go into a continuing "Care" Facilty.

Danny Michaels died from Cancer just a few years ago.
He was living in Desert Hot Springs near Palm Springs, Ca. I worked a Gig with him in Palm Springs six days after he had had Heart Bypass surgery. That was the last time I saw him.

It is amazing how many Country Pickers there were in
Southern California at one time. There probably are many more that have not been mentioned, especially sidemen.

If anyone is going to write a book, it would take more than one volume to cdover everybody.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 4:17 pm    

not the actual post, but, part of the conversation...
semie mosely wound up in booneville, arkansas and set-up shop building moserites in the open and at the same time indescretely. somehow he had a management deal in the gretsch plant, early 80's i think. he ran the paperwork thru another party and shipped product from offsite/pick-up point.
as the tide was turnin' and he was about to resurface in a big way. the clock stopped tickin' and time ran out on an era. so many ups and downs but semie seemed to never lose the mind-set that he had something no-one else could produce or take-away.
there are people that know the rest of the story. i only know the bits & pieces.
country............

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 5:11 pm    

I find this amazing that this post came back to life 11 years later.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 9:21 pm    

Hi guys, well I wish I knew then what I knew now, sadly a few people have passed on in the last decade, and there's many questions I wish I'd known more to ask, or went into more detail about some stuff.

I knew Danny Michaels, begged and pleaded for him to try and reissue his albums or let me shop aroudn the concept to some labels, but he was much more interested in his later self released efforts.

Chris Ivey, I know of drummers Tony Dey and Steve Namle, but just by name.. Tony Dey with the Stone Poneys.. would that be Linda Ronstadt's band at all?

J.

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 2:34 am     Del Dark

Joe. I worked with Del Dark in the early 60's at the Ward One cafe in Holyoke Mass. He was stationed at Westover AFB at the time. He sang, and played bass for us for a short while. Leigh

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2011 8:57 pm    

Leigh,Last time I seen Del he was working thurs nights at the Shamrock out on the PCH in Torrance Cal..What a coincidence he wound up at Westover..I did not hit Mass until 69 and guess who was also on the first stage I wound up on ? Yup.Ray Parkers one nighter him on Vocals along weth A Guy named Leigh Howell a Drummer named Mike Neland And on Guitar Jimmy Collins. The place was the Chimes and Imagine Parker got me a Bass so I could play for him that night.. I think I sang a couple of songs..Sure downed some scotch that night..Funny thing no one ever hired me to play bass after that night. Crying or Very sad .I think it was about a couple of years after that you and I actually got to meet again...We sure had a great run up there,took me 24 years to get out of dodge,, Embarassed Laughing

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2011 2:40 pm    

Jason,see if any of these names ring a bell.Alfred Parrett,Bob Nichols,Orville Rhodes,James O'Rafferty,Tony Ray,Al Quartemont,Palmer Vena,Martin Cooper & Donald Duffy.Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. Very Happy

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2011 6:31 pm     Big Jin DeNoone

Back around 52' or 53' I worked some casuals with Big Jim while I was in the Army at Fort Ord, Ca. Jim had huge hands and fingers but could play Guitar and Fuiddle about as good as anyone. I think he was living somewhere around Salinas, Ca. at that time. In the late 50's he came down to Co. Calif. for a short time and I remember he worked at the Pioneer Room in Norwalk, Ca. The last I heard about Jim he had what was called the Sleeping Sickness and could fall asleep at anytime and anywhere. He was a fun guy to work with !

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2011 10:34 am    

Is Boomer still around, and is that the name he went by, if not what was his real name.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2011 5:39 pm    

I think his real name is Don Session!, or Maybe not. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. Very Happy

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 9:11 pm    

Tom Holbrooks (Brooks) was in poor health. I saw him at the convention in St. Louis about 4 years ago. He was using a walker. He moved back to the St. Louis area several years ago. I don't know if he's still alive.

Tokyo Ernie had to undergo coronary bypass surgery. During the surgery, he suffered a stroke. ( not uncommon as this surgery is very dangerous.) I think he passed a few years ago, still living in Southern CA.