The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  The Hatchet Drops Again At The Opry
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 2:43 pm    

This report has not been confirmed but heard it from a reliable source that visited our union office today in Nashville.The Carol Lee Singers have been cut loose from the Opry.No reason for the firing but I'm sure its the same old crap.Confirmation is pending.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 3:49 pm    

Earl:

Seems as though all these firings are calculated decisions as if they are trying to kill the Opry off. I bet it's only a matter of time before they start weeding out the "non productive" members of the Opry. Used to, you had to die to get out of the Opry but today seems as though you just have to disagree with Pete Fisher. Wonder who will be next? Wilma Lee?

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 6:00 pm    

Yikes!!!! This is ironic, especially since I previously posted a thread concernin "backup groups". I certainly hope my comments didn't influence this latest decision even in the least. (WOW)

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 7:46 pm    

Kenny:

Pete Fisher read your thread and took it to heart. Now, Wilma Lee Cooper is lookin for you with a big club!

--==}Watchin Kenny Dance{==--

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 8:31 pm    

Thanx Mike...If you see her, you don't know me...right?

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 24 January 2000 at 08:54 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 3:12 am    

I guess Fisher wants some teeny boppers in there for backup singers. Then they can backup all the rock/pop singers.

Just another thing in Gaylord Corp's "shoot myself in the foot" mode of operation.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 5:13 am    

Hey SJ if that worked for the Harmony singers why not Bass players and a certain Lead player. Let's see how can I word this?

------------------
cjc

Marty Martel

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 6:50 am    

Well I hope that everyone is wrong about the not yet confirmed news about Carol Lee Singers. Somebody update me on where the news is leaking out from. You know my feelings toward the Opry, but you know what I think about Pete Fisher. When this is confirmed, hopefully not, I will get the movement rolling and Mr. Fisher better have eyes in the back of his head, because he is going to **** a lot, I mean a lot of people off. Thanks for the info.

Marty Martel

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 7:04 am    

For whatever reason would they be terminated?Makes no sense unless Pete Fisher is completely bent on destroying the OPRY. He already has a good start. Why would a Corporation (actually they are 70% front)The Gaylords allow an Idiot like Fisher to hack and whack at the Opry without interference.Looks like the orders are coming from above Fishers head. IMHO I predict they are planning to have Package shows replacing the old tradition.Now that's a prediction let's not start a rumor or give them Ba$t***s an Idea.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 25 January 2000 at 07:08 AM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 8:13 am    

Marty,I emailed you to let you know that the rumors origin came from our Local 257.I do not know the person that relayed the information to my friend.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 12:09 pm    

Sleepy John, will you quit coming out among decent folks! We all know you're a closet b@njo pl@yer!

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 7:41 pm    

HEY? Has anyone verified the firings of the Carol Lee singers yet. Marty is right about people being pi$$ed off. A lot of bands are set up with their own harmony but there are those that are not. Someone is in the wood pile on this one.I suspect Peter is receiving some inside bad advice.And the Hi*ler in him is rising.

------------------
cjc

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 1:52 am    

Folks is it official? Did Peter(never trust a Peter)strike again? Do I have to go to another funeral. The Death of the Opry coming soon.

------------------
cjc

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 10:14 am    

One has to agree some have outlasted their talent.However they were always there ,loyally suporting the Opry in it's time of need. People don't walk out when they appear. Everyone grows old,that is not a reason to abandon loyalty. Everyone trys to live on what they have accomplished in the past, if the future shows no promise.I believe the members should decide when enough is enough. Heck to some thats all they have left.The joy of entertaining,Certainly most are having health battles some life threatning.But the beat goes on.If Pete Fisher want's to replace caring loyal people,Let the dumb Ba$ta** surround himself with backstabing,non commited people. Pay now or pay later,Later cost more Pete.

------------------
cjc

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 2:59 pm    

I'm sure Pete doesn't want to "destroy" the Opry. He just wants to get rid of the "oldies" and replace them with "sex symbols".

Don't you realize "everything" today has to make a profit? There's just no money in "tradition" anymore.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 5:50 pm    

Wrong Bob, The musicians are my biggest concern,and always have been.However they have the least protection Local 257 isn't going to do anything but recieve their paychecks,take their cut and the Picker gets his pay at the Union. This is an illegal process that has been unchallenged. An Employee is supposed to be paid by the employer.And when they tell you you have to be in the Union to work the Opry, Wrong,That is an agreement longstanding between the Union and the Opry.Jimmy Capps I am told is the Steward.Lots of protection there. tenn. is a right to work State. And the Pickers in Nashville have never stuck together. If one won't work for 20.00 100 more will. Do I care about the Poor Pickers in nashville?I think it's time they cared about themselves

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 26 January 2000 at 05:54 PM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2000 6:29 pm    

Sure wish I had some news regarding Carol Lee but I haven't talked to anyone that knows what is going on right now.I figured Marty,with his contacts, would have already found something out by now.I'll keep trying.

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 26 January 2000 at 08:18 PM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 6:43 pm    

Bob,I mentioned in an earlier topic about the Opry firing that Leon told me their contract listed the number of musicians in the band but not the names of the band members.So I guess it wouldn't have mattered who was in the band based on the language of the contract.
Any word about the Carol Lee Singers?

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 7:08 pm    

Bob, Far as I know Jimmy Capps is a steward I am not sure he is on the board.We all Know Mac Wiseman is on the board. However it's all politics. If you speak up your gone . Union or no Union. Name one person the union gets jobs for except for the "in" studio crowd.? Name one person the Union has saved his or her Jobs? It is still a right to work state therefore any union isn't worth it's salt against any employer.Right to work should translate,"No workers rights".The Pickers let all that crap happen,Cut throating isn't new ,but some have developed it into an art.The Opry performers ,well they are shaking in their boots when Fisher speaks. There does not seem to be a strong voice emerging to challenge.Someone mentioned Marty Stuart,He would be an excellent choice to be the spokesperson as would Ricky Skaggs and take over dressing room #1.OH well it's old stuff that we continue to hash over. However the lineup this weekend for the live show is among the Best.Lets see if any new members are made.I believe Fisher has listened to some of the words sent him.He may have excused Marty Martel from the Premises however his beat goes on ,people will still keep him informed.Let us hope Fisher see's the light and apologizes to Marty by inviting him back. Let us hope Fisher sprinkles some new country people with the "Pop" he is so bent onmoving in. that would be the right direction.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 28 January 2000 at 06:40 AM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 4:16 pm    

Well It seems we all had some mis information,The Harmony singers are still on board unless they are working out a notice.

------------------
cjc

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 5:35 pm    

It seems that some of the posts are missing since the crash.Johnny Cox reported that his information stated that the Carol Lee termination was a rumor.I then proceeded to let Janice know that this topic had run its course and to close this thread.Janice,when you read this its OK to close this.
I am sorry that I reported a rumor.I thought that if the info was coming from our Local 257 it would have been good information.Guess thats what I get for thinking.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 4:42 am    

Earl,I am sure there was something in the wind,Itdoesn't surprise me that 257 was involved some way. I apologize for bringing this back I did see J.C.s post. It still doesn't look good for the Opry.

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 08 February 2000 at 04:46 AM.]