The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Top 50 Artists/Real Country
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2000 6:05 am    

I was a little bummed out by what I heard on our local station that "pipes in" Real Country". I think it comes out of California but don't know for sure.

I am working afternoon shift so I had the radio on from noon till midnight so I got a pretty good dose of it. I missed about 50 minutes each day so I didn't get the names of all 50. They spent New Years Day and yesterday going thru the list that they came up with.

IMHO only about 30 that were named were diserving. I don't know if Carl Smith or Porter Wagner were named, but I couldn't believe that Hank Snow was way down around 48 , and some of the new comers were way up front.

Does anyone happen to have a list of what order they were? I remember that:
1. George Straight
2. Hag
3. Patsy Cline
4. George Jones
5. Garf
6. Hank Sr.

The rest I can't remember the correct order. Eddy Arnold, Marty Robbins, and a few more were in the top ten.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2000 9:30 am    

Quote:
I was a little bummed out by what I heard on our local station that "pipes in" "Real Country". I think it comes out of California but don't know for sure.
They told us North Californians that it was produced in Nashville. It didn't last too long here. The station that tried it ended up going pop.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2000 9:37 am    

b0b, about the only thing they ever say on that station, for instance is "5 past the hour" or something like that. We never know if it's eastern or central, mountain or pacific time. News breaks are always sent back to our local station. Makes me wonder......

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2000 2:46 pm    

I play hnc afternoons 2-6 and our morning man covers 6-10 am. The rest of the time of the time music is sent in from Denver. No difference, same music. When we are live we do take requests which range back a few more years than what would be played on our net. At night I'm home listening to my album collection. Great Gugamooga, Pat