The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should Some Opry Members resign?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 6:39 pm    

It was very interesting that Garth (so proud to be here)Said he can't help the Opry this year.Shouldn't he resign and let an active and actual glad to be there person replace him,Like Gene Watson.Mark Chestnut.While all the members of the new society of Country music are too busy to honor a commitment shouldn't they be ASKED to resign. Hell they made Faron, and a whole lot more in the old days show up or else. Of course Faron with his two favorite words let them know how he felt...He had BA--$. The Opry needs the new to blend in wit h the old to continue.Wouldn't it be wise to enlist members that will commit to a certain amount of appearances..Or an honest effort.Hell call me I will travel from fl. every weekend.... I'd use Joe Edwards,Leon Rhodes,Buddy Harmon,and Smiley who else would I need? And we would kick some ask me go ahead. Do you think I ought to put my beeper #?

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-08-99]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 6:52 pm    

So who's taking the picket signs this weekend when Garth does do the opry ?
At least he has the decency not to do the TV portain.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 12:43 am    

Joe,
I would be proud to do the Opry w/ you 'cause I know that you would give the back-up band the recognition that they deserve.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 3:04 am    

It surprises me that some of the younger entertainers belong to the Opry. Unfortunately, the Opry does not have the prestiege and mystique it did years ago (maybe that's the answer to the Opry's problems).

At one time, belonging to the Opry was the ultimate goal of a country music "preformer" (as Tater says) and it meant a lot more $$ for appearances.

It is no longer a necessity to be a Opry member. It probably started with Johnny Cash and some in his generation that didn't belong to the Opry for whatever reason.

Nowadays it seems the newer singers want to be an Opry memeber so they can say their "country", even tho their music is more pop/rock.

If they're going to be Opry members, they should be required to commit to the 26 or whatever amount of shows per year it used to be and if they don't, they should be kicked out and not allowed to use "Opry" in any way with their promotions.

------------------
Franklin D-10
Keep It Country, Hoss

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 6:01 am    

SJ: Your on I didn't want to play bass anyway I was just going along with their budget cuts to save money..Seriously I'll bet we know at least a bunch of people hanging around Nashville who would excell vocally for the Opry....Willie Rainsford could do "no relief in sight" until the Cows came home.Darrel Macall,Johnny Bush,Curtis Potter.Gene Watson would trek in from Texas,Joe Casey,whoops got carried away there..How about the Musicians featured once in a while..Last but not least If They are letting go those great musicians how about a featured night to say goodbye to them and THANK YOU for your devoted service.."Get the hell out just does not seem fair"...

------------------
cjc

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 6:38 am    

Jack, even one step further as to what you said and that is being a 'star' today doesn't seem to have the impact and 'prestige' it did years ago. One had to really earn it; come up thru the ranks so to speak.
Seems today, like all of a sudden, overnite,
someone is branded as a 'star', and with a shake of the Stanley Magic Wand.....there
you are....STAR......like it or not...down your throat.
FWIW..........CF

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 7:23 am    

Joe, I've still got my Grammer flattop, can I come and pick rhythm???

Also add Bob Browning to the list of "local" Nashvilians that can sing rings around a lot of them. Actualy Bob could be the designated fill in musician. I've seen him pick lead, rhythm, pedal steel, and a little B@njo!

James Smith

Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 7:56 pm    

I live 50 miles east of Nashville, and have been here most of my 46 years. I'm not a professional musician, but have noticed a diminished importance of the Opry in the total picture of Country Music. At one time it was a great honor to be an Opry member. As it has been stated here before, it helped the careers of those Opry members. However, it appears that the Opry is almost invisible to many of todays Country Music fans and artists.
I don't make a living playing or singing and may not understand everything about Nashville and Country Music, but, I can understand why big names like GB don't appear very often. It's a matter of $$$$$$, if any of you were asked to do whatever it is that you do to earn a living and were only going to be paid a fraction of what your normal wages are, I'm sure you would be reluctant to make a habit of that. I do think that artists that don't plan on supporting with appearances should be asked to step aside. But, I also think the Opry should get real about proper compensation for artists and musicians.
I think that some of the acts that have been on the Opry for the last 40 years need to be limited to only a few appeaances each year. I've seen and heard some of them all of my life.... (I also liked Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle" the first 10 million times, but now hate it) so why don't they limit the appearances of some , tell others to show or go, and fill the gaps with traditional acts that are not as popular and upcoming new artists ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 8:36 pm    

I think we can do without the "prima-donnas" on the Opry. The ONLY reason these big stars don't want to be at the OPRY is that they can make $50,000 a night somewhere else.

One of the pre-requisites for an Opry contract should be a little humility, (something that's sadly lacking in all but a very few young stars).

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 4:45 am    

Donny Your last statement is right on the Mark....

------------------
cjc

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 11 Dec 1999 8:02 pm    

I can understand why big names like GB
don't appear very often. It's a matter of
$$$$$$,
>
GB or CG as it were, needs more $$$$$$
For what?
So if he DID show up for the 26, it seems nobody here likes him, anyway. Personally I can't think of a better reason to not watch the show than to avoid having to tolerate seeing/hearing his fat ugly @ss, Hat or no Hat!

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 8:38 am    

There are Guys who have had #1 records,written #1 songs that still live in and around the Nashville Area who would add to the Opry. How about Bobby G.Rice,"You lay so easy on my mind" Tommy Overstreet who had many top ten hits..How about Janie Frickie,She is still is a top talent?How about the Statlers?Rex Allen Jr.,Eddie Raven,Jo-el Saulnier?..The opry could build a great new list to compliment the old..Paycheck will be back .I know there are a lot of unmentioned deserving Artist whose addition would strenghten this weakening show.JMHO.

------------------
cjc

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 9:36 pm    

I think Johnny Bush would be an asset to the GOO.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 4:30 pm    

It was mentioned that "Johnny Cash " era stars never became members of the GOO.

Stars like JR Cash, Waylon, and Buck Owens had a problem with the motive of the Grand Old Opry Radio Program.
Like ANY radio program it was aired for the specific reason to attract the audience to the product being advertised or to profit the "backers" of the program. Entertainment was always second.

The WSM Grand Old Opry radio program was owned by NATIONAL LIFE AND ACCIDENT INSURANCE COMPANY. In 1950 WSM TV began Television broadcasting C/W programs (actually they were the first TV station in Nashville).
In fact Bud Wendell, moved to Nashville in 1962 as an Insurance executive with National Life. This position later led to a position with WSM Radio/TV in 1964. Of course, he led the Opry to what we know today.

Anyway, many artists had a "problem" working for an organization that put money in the pockets of the buisnessmen or "suits" as Waylon called them , of WSM. Therefore these artists stayed clear of the Grand Old Opry and all that went with it.

By the way WSM Radio takes its call letters from the NATIONAL LIFE INSURANCE advertisiement slogan:
"We Shield Millions"

This story is by way of an Opry Member, husband of an Opry member and current President of the CMA....all the same person.

FYI,

Tim

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 12-15-99]

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 7:06 pm    

as to the slogan that WSM was based on.....

I thought the slogan was "We SHIELD Millions" as opposed to "we SHELTER millions". I think the insurance company's logo was in the shape of a shield.

anyone else out there.. can you verify this?

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 7:09 pm    

Personally I think it's "We Sc--w Musicians" I could be wrong though....

------------------
cjc

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 3:16 pm    

I think the Opry is a splendid show. As with a lot of things it could use a little tightning up. But, something that would help, would be the way the program is promoted. Unless your a fan of the Opry or watch a lot of TNN, as many of the younger audience is not, you are unaware of the show. When I talk to a lot of listeners they don't know the show is on all evening. They don't know any of the history behind the music we love, and they're unaware that a lot of these historical figures are performing. making music history every Friday and Saturday nights. We need to get the word out to these young kids. Many of them find it incredibly interesting. Well, hey, I guess that is enough. Great Gugamooga, Pat

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 7:08 pm    

Today's news flash from the Crook and chase show.
Garth may retire in 2000. This comes less then a week after plans are revealed for another album and the Chris Ganes movie.

Details at country.com

I find it hard to belive he can just walk away from spotlight.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 4:55 am    

When an Artist that has His (Garth's) popularity and the less than private life, the wealth he has gathered, It makes sense.(take the money and run)..With the press prying into his private life (Rumors) Thrisha ,It becomes hard to be motivated.(Ha Ha )..He will return there's nothing anyone can do about it)! :0 It is just a get house in order(or else) ,enjoy life (While he still has one)and when that bores him, he will return with a Steel guitar and a Bigger audience (or older and fatter) and of course token Opry appearances where he is so proud to be . ...He has enough money(not much of mine) to take a year and maybe a few more days off before he will need food.. Ain't Country Music great?

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-18-99]

Walker

San Antonio, TX. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 10:35 pm    

GB please retire! Who cares? This is from an Oklahoma boy the saw Garth come-up. He is the perfect example of "country music" today. Shallow, bull$hit that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Give it up Chris, I mean Garth, whatever.

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 6:51 pm    

I personally would like to see some of the old icons gone from the Opry. Some of these old duffers haven't had a record on the charts on 20 years including Jeannie Sealey, Jean Sheppard, Bill Carlilse, Little Jimmy dickens, and on and on.

There are a lot of artists still available to be front liners including several mentioned a few posts back. Many people don't want to go to the Opry to see "has beens" or "never was". Just because some of them have good bands and a PSG don't make them stars anymore. I love the old style country songs including Hank Williams and I don't like the "new country" like Shania Twang but there has to be some middle ground. If I paid good money to go to the Opry it would PI** me off to go and have to watch some of the old "has been's" that haven't been on the chart in 20+ years. Just my humble opinion.

------------------
Pete Hunter

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 8:10 pm    

Pete:I have to differ with you on Jimmy Dickens ,Sealy,Jean shepard even with Bill Carlilse.These are opry "Classics" That do get fan raves, and people that remember their contributions still flock to see them at their concerts..Bill Carlilse at 90 deserves to grace that stage as long as he can. having met the man I admire his former ability and his desire to continue..have you seen a less than packed house? only around the holidays when people stay home..I agree there are some that should stay home..not those mentioned..JMHO.

------------------
cjc

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 1999 5:10 pm    

Joe, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. Thats what America is all about, we can agree to disagree.

I too have respect for some of the people I mentioned but respect doesn't sell records or Opry tickets. Most people who buy tickets to the Opry live out of state and don't have a clue who will be performing on the day they come to Nashville.

I live near Branson, MO and a lot of the "has been's" are the one's who opened theater's there. Over 50% of their audiences come from tour busses full of blue hairs bringing them in from all over the country. This all gets back to some of the other topics about who sells records and who sells tickets to shows. They are not always the same people.

For the record: I do respect the opinion of everyone on the Forum.

------------------
Pete Hunter

hhguitar

Blue Bell, PA USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 1999 8:39 pm    

I can't imagine how Garth Brooks would ever be asked to play the GOO to begin with. If he says he's too busy, everybody oughta just keep their mouth shut or pretend to be disappointed.

HH

Earnie Sumerall

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 7:58 am    

Pete I have to agree with you. It's time some of the older entertainers retire. Let them appear only, if they want to, as they deserve that, but try to entertain, no. It is my opinion that they are hurting the Opry. It was embarrising to see Bill Carlile Saturday Nite stumble around with words to Rudolph-- . It was a good thing Georgie Riddle was there to back him up. If the Opry is going to stay around these old entertainers are going to have to except it is time to retire and let some of the newer ones take over. Not everyone is a George Jones or Ray Price who's voice seems to get better with age. I'm personally tired of seeing Porter Wagoner flash the inside of his suit coat and sing off key. I don't see anything wrong with the age of the musicians as long as it doesn't effect their playing, but there is a time to retire and let the younger generation take over. Like it or not,times change and music progresses. The Opry is not needed to succeed in the business anymore but if the Opry wants to succeed changes need to be made.
One last thing, the sound mix is terrible. Maybe the muscians should be turned up to overide the voices.

[This message was edited by Earnie Sumerall on 12-21-99]