The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rock On The Opry
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 4:09 am    

What is wrong with a strong rock sound by most of the Opry performers? Rock and Rap are popular forms of music.The old Opry is changing into a popular young people show.What do you think?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 9:20 am    

The opry is a venue for traditional country music.

How would the rock or rap or jazz people like a traditional country music group appearing on their rock show or a rap show, etc. How many people do you think would leave or complain if a traditional country act was thrown into a rap concert. Think about that and then reconsider your question.

Some of us "old farts" believe this is one reason the Opry is no longer "sold out".

I'm a died in the wool traditional country fan and picker. However I do like and have played other types of music, too.

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 10:17 am    

Couldn't have said it better myself...although I'm a young fart!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 1:15 pm    

"The Opry is a venue for traditional Country Music". I'd have to disagree with that! The Opry has continued to evolve as the times have evolved. If it had not we'd still be listening to one old fiddle player (Like Uncle Jimmy Thompson) sitting on a chair playing hoedowns with no rhythm guitar or anything. Up until Roy Acuff's time they didn't even hardly have any vocalists, come to think of it that's not really a bad idea. But then again I'm old enough to remember when they only allowed a snare drum on the opry. It can't stay the same forever as much as most of us would like. They have to survive. We'll all die and the kids who listen to Garth, Shania, and all those new artists will be taking our places. I personally like all the new people, rock & roll, alternative, but if it came down to only one type it'd have to be Buck, Merle, Wynn, or Ray.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 12-22-99]

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 12-22-99]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 2:30 pm    

Jerry,

Nobody said that tradition doesn't evolve. Traditional country music has evolved, like you say, drums, horns, etc. People object to some of the pop sounding stuff because it exceeds evolution and tends more towards a departure from the "roots".

So, you're both right. The Opry is a venue for traditional country music of the past, present, and hopefully the future.

------------------
HagFan

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 2:48 pm    

The day the Opry does Rock acts is the day it dies.

------------------
cjc

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 4:04 pm    

>>>How would the rock or rap or jazz people like a traditional country music group appearing on their rock show or a rap show, etc. How many people do you think would leave or complain if a traditional country act was thrown into a rap concert. Think about that and then reconsider your question.<<<

What about the fact that among others Buck Owens and Johnny Cash played the Fillmore in
San Francisco.

There are acts I follow via No Depresson that have no business at the opry though.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 4:46 pm    

Some never get it. This is not meant as a flame.

If you went to a concert that was billed as "thrash metal", I don't think anyone would be going there with the thoughts of any other style of music band showing up. They would be going there because they paid their money to see "thrash metal" bands. If between two bands out popped a traditional country band there would be a lot of P.O'd people.

No different if you go to what is billed as a traditional country show and out pops a rap singer or a rock band.

This still gets back to many other posts and threads on here (and other places) about what has happened to country music. No matter what the questions are or how they're worded it really gets back to the one point.

"Murder on Music Row"

------------------
Franklin D-10
Keep It Country, Hoss

Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 8:41 pm    

Amen, Jack.
Perry

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 9:50 pm    

Andy A. Everything is wrong with a strong Rock sound!!! Whether its on the Opry, or radio, or at a Rock concert! It just plain sucks! I thought this was a Steel Guitar Forum.& Country Music Thread? I Hope I misunderstood You! If I did I apologize! If not! Get real!! Al

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 11:55 pm    

Today's producers lack taste, that cheap thumpy kick drum has to go. They, along with the run-of-the-mill players, and the radio programmers don't even belong in the music business.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 11:58 pm    

I once opened for a heavy metal band called Y&T. Their fans set napkins on fire and threw them at us. I don't think they liked us. It was very weird.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 4:28 am    

When Buck Owens and JR Cash played those Venues they were advertised and sold as Country,Although some none country folk went in there tuxedos, they knew what they were going to hear..Is Rock music getting to the point it need's Country to survive?How many solo's does a pedal Steel player get in a Rock band?

------------------
cjc

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 4:55 am    

The Opry is full of Rock now.Traditional Country is not popular Country.My generation loves the Rock Country Sound.

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 6:02 am    

I think were missing the point here. I think the question should be, can the opry continue to make a profit playing traditional music? That's the question. That will determine if the opry survives. It's traditional now, are the seets filled every show or only when the so called ( big acts ) appear.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 7:45 am    

b0b.. I once played a gig where the band I was with opened for Eddie Money here in Fremont at the UAW Hall. The guy I was playing for was a cross between John Denver and Jim Croce. The audience received us very well.

As for mixing types of music at a concert, I remember going to the Fillmore in San francisco, and it was not uncommon to see mixed bands. Even saw Woody Herman's Big Band playing on the same bill as The Who.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 8:52 am    

Andy says "The Opry is full of Rock now.Traditional Country is not popular Country. My generation loves the Rock Country Sound."

When it was not "full of rock" the place was sold out for almost every performance. Now that it is "full of rock" it is no longer sold out. . . . . . .

Traditional country is still popular with many people, just not the crossover rockers.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 9:45 am    

Jack the one thing your forgeting is your dealing with the generation XXX crowd take a walk through any mall in any city and see what you see. I'm not saying all young folks but most young folks htat you see in there are not dealing with a full deckor if your by the lake they don't have both ores in the water. You know as well as I that when an act can't make it no longer in Rott Musicif you want to call it music they come over to the country side where they are welcomed. so you can't blame them cause were so damn stupid. most of them can't play they can't sing they can't act nor do they know how to dress. So jack we really should feel sorry for them and think about it they are like little lost sheep

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 9:53 am    

I think the Opry is just like any other live music venue. A good entertainer can look out at the people in his audience and just about tell you the kind of music they want to hear. If you cater to them, you will always work. The whole problem I see at the Opry is a programming problem. They are not taking advantage of the age groups (mostly older tourists) that are buying the tickets to get in to see the shows and as a result the attendance is down. I don't know where bottom line will be drawn, but we are loosing "Country Music" and replacing it with a stable full of writers that lyrically and musically make all the music sound like the last song that was written and played. The people attending the Opry shows on Friday and Saturday grew up on Willie and Waylon and George and Gene Watson and the Gatlins and others during the "Urban Cowboy" years. Where are these guys at now? Why aren't they at the Opry? You and I know why...and that is what is wrong with country music under the present management...Just a few thoughts from one of the old timers...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 3:10 pm    

"Welcome to the Grand Ole Rockery"

Somehow...it just doesn't sound the same.

Things should only change if they can be improved. The trouble with most Country now is that it's changing just to make more money. Too many greedy people.

Why don't all you greedy people just become day-traders, and leave us Country music lovers alone?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 3:27 pm    

Bill, I didn't mean to jump in with both feet on this one, but it looks like I did.

But it is a good question in that it shows what some of the new country fans think.

Everyone have a happy holiday.

I'm outta here

------------------
Franklin D-10
Keep It Country, Hoss

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 3:45 pm    

I hope this is not a repeat. Ok lets name the most successful Rock and roll touring Pedal steel player? There must be at least 2-3..If any Pedal Steel player thinks that the future of the instrument is ROCk.Go ahead join a band like lets say Shania Twain The Country Super star. Now I am sure you are overwhelmed with all the solos on her material by a Steel. I listened and heard a couple of licks on her concert.I saw the Steel player jump from Guitar to steel at an amazing pace. Lets face it she won't have a Steel player in 6 mos.I wanted to play when I was working and would not settle for 5 seconds of a two hour GIG. Is that a job? Is that the future of the instrument? Country is country If anyone thinks it should rock more then it does then for pete sake do it your way,hope you keep your day job Rock on the Opry?get a life.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-23-99]

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 6:16 pm    

Jack you have every right to jump in with both feet. These people who have no Idea what country is or should be that can't make it in rott and roll are ruining every thing that so many great people have worked so hard to build. I understand I had nothing to do with making the GOO as great as it is but I sure supported it which I no longer do. I still go out and play steel for peanuts because I love what I call country and I damn well refuse to prostitute my music for anyone. I surly hope those who are making to choices in Nashburg wake up soon or we can kiss the good stuff good by and change TNN to MTV

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 7:18 am    

Ya'll ever heard of a plce called Branson M?
Why sure you have.That my freinds is where it at.As for a Country tour attraction,If Nashvill dont get their heads back on strait.
Like the mighty Roman Impire, their doom to fall.Branson,is gonna take all away.

------------------
BJ Bailey

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 8:27 am    

--- Flame ON ---

I think that the Opry should be like a museum of country music. I don't like seeing acts doing their current hit, no matter what it is. If anyone remembers it ten years from now, only then they should be allowed to do it.

If the new acts don't like doing old songs, then they shouldn't be on the Opry. The problem here is that the Opry is trying to keep up to date, and they shouldn't.

People don't go there to hear new stuff. There are other venues for that. The Opry should be a unique bastion of traditional country music. Hit songs on the radio today are not "traditional" no matter what style they are. They simply haven't been around long enough to be part of any tradition.

The Opry once had the guts to say "no drums" and then it was "only a snare drum". I wonder if they even have the guts today to say "no hip-hop" or whatever the latest trend in radio music is.

--- Flame OFF ---

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap