The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Garth to Retire?
Ken Tinsman

Buedingen/Wolf, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 12:23 am    

click here

Aw gee. What an, er, um, blow to all of us.

Sorry, but maybe "Country Music" was the wrong section to put this in....

[This message was edited by Ken Tinsman on 12-16-99]

[This message was edited by b0b on 12-16-99]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 4:20 am    

I thought Garth had already "retired". Maybe it was Chris Gaines talking about retirement...

Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 4:58 am    

I feel so sad, country music will never be the same again. (Hooray, Hooray). I happened to see a little snippet on the local news about this. The reason that I heard was that he was getting too old. TOO OLD? How old are people like Jimmy Dickens, Ray Price, Porter Wagoner, Del Reeves, Bill Anderson, Bill Carlisle, Jean Sheperd, Ray Pillow, Billy Walker, Charlie Pride, and all of the other stars still plying their chosen profession, well beyond their retirement years.

I have always suspected that Garth was a big blow hard and show off, and only in it for what he could get out of it. No long term committment. His attitude has always been suspect to me, and I will not miss him in the least, but I know that the current crop of radio DJ's will probably cry and whine ad nauseum about his impending retirement. We will be hearing about this for the next year.

So long Garth, and don't let the back door of the Opry hit you in you know where on your way out.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with MR-1 Effects Processor
pedalman@uswest.net

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 5:44 am    

Well said Dennis. Garth Brooks sucks. Him and Shania are the two worse things to ever happen to country music.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 8:21 am    

We backed Hank Thompson last Friday night at The Palomino Club in Reno.

He's almost 3/4 of a century young!

He is singing as good as he ever has...I don't believe he's even thinking about retirement!

Poor old Garth!

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 3:45 pm    

How many country acts have ever made the local news ? A lot of them can die without the coverage garth gets for anything.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 3:59 pm    

Garth Brooks will be 38 in February 2000.

That ain't OLD. Not when George Strait will be 48 in May 2000 and still sells lots of albums and reaches the top of the charts on a consistent basis.

Garth has threatened to retire before, particularly so when album sales suffer. Remember FRESH HORSES? Of course he didn't do it. He ain't gonna do it this time either. He probably enjoys seeing his loyal worshippers down on their knees begging him not to retire. He has so much money he doesn't have to work another day for the rest of his life. His wife can divorce him and take a good chunk out of his wallet in the settlement, as well as child support... and STILL have a vault full of cash. However he has NOT beat the Beatles yet and that must gnaw at him. No, he will not retire just because the Gainesburgers went cold....

If he really wants to do the right thing he should go back to basics. Drop the humongous stage get ups.... Leave Gaines in the wardrobe closet forever.... Start playing traditional country music and honor his commitment to the Opry. Will he? I doubt it. I really do. Will he retire? I doubt that too.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 5:05 pm    

Hanny's probably right.

Well, you all know where I come down on this age issue. Ole Hag never sounded better—and Dennis, I expect you to edit your message and add him to your list.

It’s fine with me if Garth wants to hang it up. That’s his call. What really unnerves me is when he starts carping about how tough it is to balance a career and a family—like he’s the only guy who ever had to do that. Down right nauseating! Garth, old buddy, try it sometime on a workin’ man’s wage.

Right, folks?

------------------
HagFan

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 6:43 pm    

But Eddie, at least Shania is real easy on the eyes!

Lee, from South Texas

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 8:04 pm    

There is one big diffrence. George Strait knows what country is all about. Garf, Shinia, or what ever ,Faith, And all the rest of the so call young acts are still trying to figure out what in hell there doing. They aint figured out yet that noise is noise no matter what you want to call it is still noise

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 8:02 am    

I heard this report on country radio news this AM..

The Country Music Association is already predicting that Garth Brooks will come out of retirement...

Brooks himself is planning one last concert tour including the possibility of a last concert pay for view world event.

[This message was edited by Mike Dennis on 12-17-99]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 10:06 am    

Hey, Early Bird!

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to bash the Judds again so soon. But since you brought it up...

------------------
HagFan

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 2:08 pm    

Hey Ron,that Early Bird is on the cutting edge,isn't he? Merry Christmas.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 3:09 pm    

GB............the sooner, the better.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 2:37 am    

Aw come on people, he is a nice guy. If you don't beleive me ask him..As Arnold Swaztindinger once said "Heel be Bock. I won't pay a dime for the sequel...

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-18-99]

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 9:58 am    

It's all marketing, folks. You can find the basics in Advertising/Marketing 101.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 7:10 am    

I can't believe all the hate and discontent I'm hearing here about ol' Garth. Personally I'll miss him. There's alway's some good steel on his albums and he always carrys one on the road with him. I think people like him have exposed the steel guitar like it's never been before. Look at his concerts. He sells out stadiums like the big rock acts do. If I had the cash I'd have retired at 38 also. The one thing I always hated about playing music full time was road work. It totally $uck$. I believe there might be a little envy going on here. If any of you had done what he has you'd love it and you know it.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Jimmy T. Vaughn

Porter, OK
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 4:38 pm    

Thank GOD for answered prayers

------------------

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 10:10 pm    

I think it's great that Garth is retiring. And while we're at it, let's have Shania and the Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill and everybody else who is selling more than a million records retire. After all, George Jones or Hank Williams or Kitty Wells never sold a million, so that can't be country. And let's make anybody who is attracting a large audience under 40 retire, after all, those kids don't know country music. Let's especially encourage those artist who are featuring the steel guitar to retire. After all, kids might listen to players like Bruce Bouton and decide they want to play steel guitar, and who knows what they will be playing. Certainly nothing worth hearing.

Hopefully in a few years the scene will be as good as in bluegrass music, where a couple of hundred thousand loyal fans listen to music on a few FM or low powered AM stations. Now that's the way to further the steel guitar!

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 7:53 am    

I think Dan is trying to say this...if all we have to listen to is what we don't like, that we should shut up and enjoy it.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 10:29 pm    

Thanks Donny, that's just about right.

To be honest with you, I am not a big Garth Brooks fan, nor am I a big Shania fan. But neither am I a Back Street Boys fan. But both Garth and Shania have sold a lot more CDs than the Back Street Boys, and they have feature the steel guitar a lot more than the BSBs (trust me, I know.... I have an 11 year old daughter). And some good friends of mine have gotten some great airplay playing some really good steel guitar on Garth's and Shania's singles, so I personally would really miss it if they were no longer selling records. I have the option of getting some great traditional country CDs, including some great new cuts from new artists, but I think that it's necessary for the steel guitar to be featured on singles that even my 11 year old Back Street Boys loving daughter can hear and enjoy.

Let me tell you, it was a big thrill for Emily (my 11 year old) to meet Bruce Bouton in person, knowing that he played on some of her favorite Shania cuts. Now I love old Ricky Skagg records as well as the next guy, but I am an old fart, and it's going to take the likes of Garth or Shania to keep the steel going into the next millenium.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 12:04 am    

We opened the show for Garth once. It think it was 1991. "Much Too Young to Feel This Old" was a chart success and "If Tomorrow Never Comes" was in the top 10. After working with Haggard, Jones, Judds, and etc., I considered Garth to be just another flash in the pan. We talked about various things but he was really into songwriting at the time and was telling me how he loved working with other songwriters. He sure seemed humble and was a real gentleman. I even had to help his fiddle player figure out how to work some settings on his new effects processor. The drummer (who remained in his band for years) was happy to have an additional job of selling T shirts. I would have never dreamed that Garth would reach such stardom.

I admit that swinging from a rope and having an alter ego is wierd, but he has made a lot of money and has made a mark in entertainment history. I know most of us here on the forum would rather see Gene Watson, Clinton Gregory, or Steve Wariner reach such a level of stardom and success, but where do you draw the line. I guess I hold on to some level of respect for Garth because I saw a personal side that I thought was decent and respectable. Don't ask me what I think about my experience with Dwight Yoakum!!!!

------------------
Terry Downs
http://nightshift.net
terry@nightshift.net

BDBassett

Rimrock AZ
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 9:25 am    

At first, I thought the 'alter-ego' Chris Gaines thing was a little odd, but then I remembered that it has been done before. Remember Luke The Drifter? Remember Ben Colder?

Country music has always had it's cross-over artists, some have crossed from country to pop, others, like Conway Twitty have crossed back into the country charts. So, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Garth Brooks has enjoyed success in both charts and appeals to both audiences. Sure he is well marketed and flashy, but so was Bob Wills. Sure he writes carefully formatted and produced songs, but so did George Richey. I don't hear anyone dissing Hank, Sheb, Conway, Bob, George and Tammy, or anyone else who's legecy Garth has carried on.

I still say "Friends In Low Places" would have been a hit 20 or 30 years ago. I can almost imagine George or Waylon doing that song.

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 30 Dec 1999 3:34 am    

I'm playing on the rockabilly cicuit and just had a wonderful gig with Marvin Rainwater and Glenn Honeycuttin London, GB. Don't know if anybody knows these guys but they were great still rockin' and there were no signs of retirement. Maybe someone has seen Ronnie Dawson lately...I can't imagine Garth doing such a powerful set when he was beyond 50!!

------------------
Fender Custom Triple 8
Emmons S-10
1954 Super Amp
1958 Telecaster