The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grammy for lifetime achevement/Willie Nelson
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 7:16 am    

Very few icons reach "first-name recognition status," like both Elvises, Elton, Garth (whatever you think of him), and Willie. That in itself is enough of a lifetime achievement.

I think Jerry Bruner nailed it on the head. The mold was broken when Willie was born.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 7:28 am    

I think Willie deserves it as much or more as anyone who has ever received the award. He's been making great music for a lot of years. I'd sort of gotten away from listening to him as much when he quit getting a lot of air play. Here in southern Virginia we have an outdoor fest called the "Chesapeake Jubilee" every year featuring a name act or two. A couple of years ago we had Willie as the headliner and I was a fan again after that! Every one who's ever appeared did their little hour show, hit the bus and dissapeared. Not Willie! He played non-stop for over 2 1/2 hours and just kept getting better. After the concert was over he went to the bus for about 15 minutes and came back and signed autographs until the last person was satisfied. This included posing for pictures, holding babies, signing guitars, breasts, or whatever. Willie still has it and should really be recognized for what he's done. I've started playing his tapes and records again and will continue to do so.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 11:06 am    

Stephen Fosters song style screams out
FOLKSINGER. I think he also wrote that classic kindergarden sing along, "Old Folks
at Home".......'way down upon the Swanee River'....

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 19 Dec 1999 11:48 am    

Foster or not, Willie has EARNED it!

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 3:01 pm    

Now that we've got that cleared up,
Is Hank Thompson, as Bill Millet says,
"The Tony Bennett of Cool Classic Country" ?
-John
p.s. I like Willie's writing alot, but I'd sooner hear somebody else sing 'em. His phrasing bugs me.

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 5:28 pm    

Yes, Willie should get the award. Hes not Foster but thats OK. I think how bOb means is Foster is everyones writer. You kind of have to go lookin for Willie. Just the fact hes made a living pickin while I go up and down the hill with the dwarfs says give him the big one!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 10:28 pm    

Certainly Willie deserves the award. You'll get no argument on that from me. He's among the best songwriters of our time.

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 10:24 am    

Anyone who can smoke pot on the roof of the White House, now thats achevement, Plus all the good work hes done for the farmers deserves the award. I remember hearing the story about how after he hit the big time Wiilie went back to work a venue he had played several years prior (for low $$),He played there again as a Huge star but at the same rate as his first appearance. Hes a nice guy & he has paid his dues.