The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar in the Mix
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 1:27 pm    

I thought I'd throw up this quote from Chuck Ainlay, one of Nashville's leading engineer/mixers. It's kinda interesting. And please don't perceive this as a cut--as a mixer, he is a serious idol to me, and his steel sounds are second-to-none.

"Ainlay's approach to panning instruments in a country mix derives from seat-of-the-pants experience--that is, based on folks sitting in their vehicles. 'I think most people listen to country music while driving around in a car or truck,' he explains. 'When sitting in the driver's seat, the thing I want farthest away from me is the steel guitar. Traditionally, the steel has a lot of reverb on it--kind of a wash--so I like to hear it farthest away, panned far right. I definitely don't want it beside me, on the left.'"

I have most always panned steel to the right, but never thought about it in those terms.

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 5:33 pm    

That is interesting. I kinda prefer the steel tearin' my head off.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 6:41 pm    

The thing I noticed about that interview was the part about the steel needing minimal treatment. No dynamic processing ! Just a little EQ and blending reverb.

That means the steel player is doing his job.

Bob

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 4:32 am    

I've never given it much thought - as far as right or left channel. Most of the current stuff seems to be mixed equally on both channels. Back in the early years of stereo there were a lot of records with definate separation and maybe the steel on one channel and the lead guitar in the other, etc.

The thing I was taught from an engineer (who was taught by a Nashville engineer) was to make it sound good on a cheap radio/speaker. If the mix sounded good on a cheap radio, it would sound good on anything.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 9:17 am    

Jack Stoner is right on the money here. The old records had steel in one channel, and lead in the other. If you panned (GOD, I hate that word!) to hear the lead, the steel was low, with a lot of reverb. If you panned (there's that word again!) to hear the steel, the lead would be low, with a lot of reverb. At least that worked! You could hear what you wanted in the mix (the voice and rhythm was often centered, or balanced. This was great for us musicians.

Nowadays, you're stuck with whatever the (mixer) engineer likes, and it's plain that old Chuck Ainley don't like steel! I would rather hear the steel and lead predominate than the drums and cymbals. But in the majority of today's recordings, especially the fast stuff, it seems we're STUCK with drums and cymbals...go figure!

And as far as Chuck's reasons for panning steel on the right, they are unlogical too. NOBODY listens to music in the car these days! Haven't you noticed, Chuck? Everyone's talking on their cell-phone instead!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 1:40 pm    

I like the steel in the center, as the loudest instrument with minimal effects and lots of presence. I also like to pan the singer to the far right, with tons of reverb.

I think it would be absolutely great if Faith Hill's records were mixed this way.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 5:10 pm    

Those lucky British drivers!

------------------
HagFan

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 2:50 pm    

Actually, ole Chuck loves steel, just listen to a Strait record.

I should have mentioned in the next paragraph, he pans the guitar to the left. Steel to the right, guitar to the left. Sorta like all those records you mentioned.

And I think Bob's point answers a lot of questions that have been raised in the past about engineers and producers messing with the steel sound.