The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hag on TNN Tuesday Night
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 2:12 pm    

TNN is advertising Merle Haggard – For the Record. Tuesday night from 8-11 PM EST. I don’t know if this is the same show that recently ran on pay-per-view.

------------------
HagFan

MLP

Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 7:29 pm    

Ron,

Didn't see the PPV Show, but the one tomorrow night on TNN is listed as:
A celebration of the performer's career; with Dwight Yoakam; Jewel; Willie Nelson; Connie Smith; Dick Clark; from Las Vegas.
It is scheduled to air again at midnight EST.

Enjoy,
Michael

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 10:21 am    

Thanks for the tip--I'll be firing up the old VCR tonight for sure.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 3:18 am    

I got to see the show last night. I was amazed that Dick Clark and TNN would put on a show with "country music".

Norm Hamlet was highly visible during the show, too.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 5:28 am    

Ron : It was exactly the same PPV show. Even tho I had taped it before I did again and watched every second of it. Hag was having fun and TNN finally had a good venue to advirtise the &^#$*& Waltons. TONIGHT: The Pickers will be pushing the &^@#)(*&#$ Walt ons.

------------------
cjc

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 5:45 am    

I missed the first hour, but I’ve got it on tape…

I could go on for hours. I’m always reminded of my oldest brother who blessed me with this curse—Hag fanaticism—and all the shows that we saw together; all the endless hours of off-key harmonizing to his records, etc. Couple that with one of the most emotional performers in county music, ever, and WOW!

As I said, I haven’t seen the first hour—OK, so I did start the tape for a couple songs this morning—but Sing Me Back Home had to be one of the most emotional Hag performances I’ve witnessed.

Why did he and Bonnie Owens do so few duets during all those years?

Jewel is growing on me—she’s almost TOO soulful. Add her to the list of singers I’d be unfamiliar with were it not for Merle.

Redd Volkhart must have been born with a Tele in his hands.

I love the part where Merle says, “Play that fiddle Abe (Manuel)”, only to learn that Abe is holding his mandolin. After a confirming nod, Abe takes it away with the mandolin.

Talking steel: Was anyone else surprised to see that Take Me Back to Tulsa was played on the E9th neck? I thought it was 6th, but I guess Ida Red and Sin City Blues must also be E9th. Great stuff, Norm!

Theresa Lane Haggard Now we know who the “long, tall blonde” is in Motorcycle Cowboy.

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 11-24-99]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 6:43 am    

Ron ,Want the whole tape?

------------------
cjc

GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 8:30 am    

WOW !!...and almost three hours worth. Being a Bakersfield Boy, I'm biased, but it's the best televised production I've ever seen. Like an idiot, I didn't tape it. Congrats to yes... Dick Clark. Will it be available on video?

Merle and the Strangers represent what we "old traditionalists" long for.The duet he sang with Bonnie Owens..."Just Between the Two of Us" featuring Norm on steel just tore me up. Finally, I'm really glad Merle paid tribute to the great Wynn Stewart.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 10:31 am    

Joe,

Thanks for the offer, but I probably wouldn't go back and watch it much unless I get a professionally produced video. That I'll buy and hope that Merle gets a few bucks from it.

They should package that CD with the video and sell them together.

I've never been in prison or known anyone who was, but when Hag sang Sing Me Back Home there was more than just a little moisture in my eyes; earned him a standing-o too. Emotions stirred.

It was interesting seeing the video clips of earlier performances-- a younger Merle-- in the background. I guess if Merle was still that "pretty" we'd hear him on the radio. It's kind of sad that many, many people don't know his music even though they consider themselves country music fans.

By the way, did anyone notice what he wore, or were the songs, music and performance the main attraction? How about the fireworks and lights? He did enter the stage in unusual fashion—he walked up the center isle like a prizefighter.

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 11-24-99]

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 2:32 pm    

Ron, I figured you were in "hog heaven" last night. After watching most of it at 8:00, I recorded the replay at 12:00 right over the other Hag special TNN did a few years ago. In that special, everyone else was singing Hag's songs. This one was far better because he was singing.

As Connie Smith said, considering Merle's singing, song writing, and musicianship, he is the most complete package to come along in Country Music. I have to agree.

I thought he looked and sounded great. I thought he looked and sounded a little rough on the CMA show. Jewell did a lot better job last night than the CMA appearance.

The only way Norm could sound any better is if he had used an Emmons push-pull!

Redd is pretty tough on the Tele.

Frank

------------------
Huntsville, AL
1979 Black Satin Emmons Push-pull D-10 8+4 #2624D
1980 Black Emmons Push-Pull D-10 8+4 #2783D
frankestes.homepage.com/

S Pickens

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 6:57 pm    

As many times as I've heard Hag do "Sing Me Back Home" in the past 30 years or so, I still get chills when I hear him do it. What a country music impact!

[This message was edited by S Pickens on 11-24-99]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 25 Nov 1999 5:20 am    

30 something years that man has been an influence to me. I have not lost one ounce of admiration for the man.

------------------
cjc

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 25 Nov 1999 8:35 am    

We had company so i did not tune in until the 2nd hour. All right so i have never seen Hag live. What i think about is pointing out Norm Hamlett and Red Volkart to my 2 uncles.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 1999 9:52 pm    

I had a gig the night this show was on,I did not know about it so I missed it!! Does anyone know if it will be replayed soon or if there is a tape for sale available??

Thanks,

Dyke

norm hamlet

bakersfield ca. usa
Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 3:51 pm    

Hello Ron,
Yes all those songs were played on the E9th
neck. I was trying to get a C6th sound, so I guess it was pretty close. Thanks.
And from what I was told there will be video`s of the (For the Record)Merle Haggard
on sale later, but I haven`t heard when or where yet. As soon as I find out I will try to let anyone that wants one the information
on how to get one. Norm Hamlet