The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  650 AM Denver Drowns out WSM
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 10:59 pm    

I heard Mike Cass was playing the Midnite Jamboree w/ Darrel McCall, so went out to my car to listen! only to find 650am From Denver Overpowering WSM What do You Steelers in the Denver area think! I'm in Mn.directly above Tn. Must be a disaster for You out there!? Al Udeen

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 11:17 pm    

I thought that 650 am was a clear channel station. The 650 am station here in the Houston area goes off the air at sunset, which allows WSM to barely come in. Some areas are better then others. I heard some talk on the forum that WSM was considering the internet as a outlet for their programming. Maybe if enough people emailed them to suggest the internet would be a good deal, they would go for it.

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:36 am    

WSM will be on the net before the end of the year. Mike sounded real good last night. So did'nt Darrell McCall, he was really good as always.Was also great to hear one of my favorite guitar players,Gregg Galbraith. Played it just like it should be. Very Tasty Playin. I liked it alot. The rest were also good,David Smith on bass, Willie Rainsford on piano, Kenny Sears on fiddle. I did'nt get who was on drums. To bad you missed it Denver. It was one of the better mid-nite shows. Billy

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 7:40 am    

Between that setup and Leeroy at the opry I missed a great weekend.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 1:32 pm    

Gregg Galbraith?

You mean, Theresa’s husband?

Al, don't you have an AM radio in the house? I guess you figured that fox tail on your antenna would do the trick, eh?

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 11-23-99]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 5:20 pm    

I'm not sure, maybe one of the "hams" that did BCB-DX can provide more info. But I think there was a always a distance limit to that "clear-channel" concept. I seem to remember it was 1,000 miles, or maybe even 1500. I do know that there's a 500,000 watt(!) station in Mexico that bleeds over ocasionally here in Maryland when I try to listen. And with my luck, it will be in that 60% time frame that they're playing the classic stuff!

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 7:28 pm    

Ron! A car radio will allways pick up distant stations much better than anything in the house! The fox tail keeps my car from getting lost! Al

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 9:56 pm    

For anyone interested in listening to WSM, a C band satellite system is, IMHO, the best way to go.

Oftentimes you can find an older system for almost nothing, like when someone changes to the small dish system.

Although a new C band system, with programmable receiver, movable dish, etc... is the best way to go, since with that setup you can also subscribe to whatever TV programming you want, the older systems receive the audio of WSM, and many other radio stations, just fine.

With this method, there is NO static, fade out, etc...it's as plain as a local FM station would be.

------------------
http://users.50megs.com/steel/home.html

Bill Wilson

Glendora CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 10:31 pm    

Al, why is that? I've always noticed that I can pick up difficult stations better with my car radio! I have been through various high priced receivers, I've used fancy powered FM antennas, all to no avail. My car out in the driveway picks up the faint stuff much better.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 1:36 am    

A hotter front RF section and a better antenna than a standard house radio.

It has to have these as a car is generally in motion,and a cheap RF section would even fade out the local stuff as the car passes a truck or a building got in the way of the transmitter and the car.

Yes, The FCC DID remove clear channel status from WSM RADIO a few years ago. Too bad.