The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  From the Sunday"Tennessean."..
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 7:38 am    

A traditional singer adds some pop...traditional country singer Sara Evans(No Place That Far)says she's going for a more pop sound on her next record.
But Sara,you have that awesome traditional country sound. "Yeah,but radio won't play me,"Sara says of radio programmers."I'm tired of being the best artist who can't make it on country radio". So Sara,using Martina McBride producer Paul Worley,says her new sound will be a combination of herself,Martina,Sheryl Crow,the Dixie Chicks and Patty Griffin. "I'm really excited about taking it in a pop direction-not pop country,it's gonna be sorta like what Martina did-just great songs"...from"Brad about You column...

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 7:42 am    

Fooey on radio. I never got around to getting her albums but I have heard nothing but raves about her style.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 1:20 pm    

Country artists have fought for decades to get these a$$hole DJs to play their records.I think its a cop out for an artist to use that as an excuse to go in other musical directions.If that was true why is George Jones and many other artists like him still around singing country.Looks like they have been on the same ship for the last 40 years.Sounds to me like Sara should find another record promoter.Who ever she has now is not hustling.

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 11-14-99]

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 1:31 pm    

The article leads me to believe she is"excited"about the change in direction...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 2:05 pm    

Some people will do anything for money!

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 2:13 pm    

Steve is right. There is too much enthusiasm in her statements. Could this crossover thing be associated with a mass exodus of bailouts? Why so many at the same time? Is it because they get to leave the "country label" and Nashville behind? I always liked her and her singing but, so be it!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 3:11 pm    

Boy,ole'Sara must think she is something else if she plans to sound like all of the singers she mentioned above.Looks like beef stew to me and I hate beef stew.
Let me think,I can't remember when George Jones tryed to sing like Ted Nuggent or Connie Smith trying to sing like Bonnie Raite.
That reminds me of Bill Anderson firing his whole band because he wanted a new sound.Guess what? The band didn't sound any different and Bill still sounded like $hit like he always did.
Just curious,are you Hinsons related?

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 11-14-99]

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 5:39 pm    

Earl-Donny Hinson and I may be related-I believe he is from the Maryland-Virginia area-My ancestors were there and probably moved to Georgia to participate in the War of Northern Agression...You don't remember Possum's cut on"Journey to the Center of Your Mind"?The tic-tac solo kicked a##...

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 1999 12:21 am    

I think the problem lies mostly with the record companies. Radio DJ's play what the're told to play by the programming directors, who are told what to put on air by their bosses. who are told what they should be playing by the big record labels. Fortunately for real country fans we still have George Jones, Ray Price, Alan Jackson, and a few other people who put their feelings, and beliefs before dollars.
John

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 1999 8:38 pm    

Radio is king these days-sorry.Radio tells record labels what to release as singles(what they will play and what they won't).At least one station asked for a version of the Patty Loveless record"You Don't Seem to Miss Me"without George Jones'great harmony singing-can you believe it?Radio is running the show...

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 15 Nov 1999 9:54 pm    

I caled the radio to them to play pop atop,they ok then anounceed,AJ would be comeing up. when the DJ PLAYED AJ it was the song,If I had a Mercury. I call the DJ back up to tell him,that POP A TOP was what I wanted to hear.He said he'd try,but never didI had ask him first to play Farewell Party by Allen J, He couldnt but would play
POPATOP He did'nt play eather one.

------------------

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 6:52 am    

Hey Steve, How about the "country" station in the Big Apple that said the Allen Jackson song was too country W/steel. The lable sent a remix with little or no steel. Can't recall the song.

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 7:03 am    

Sounds to me like DJ's are like politicians now,forcing their will on the people.There are so many other ways country music can be heard who needs radio and DJ's? When the payola scandel broke back in the 50's that stopped some of the $hit thats going on now. Maybe I smell a revolution.Program directors are just little dictators and they need to be squashed.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 7:08 am    

Steve, if radio controls the record labels, who the hell controls radio? That's who we should be confronting about the demise of country music!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 7:42 am    

Question, Are not most radio stations privately owned? I know that a lot of stations have corporate ownership and they would be a bigger nut to crack.
Think about this,sponsors suport radio and radio can't survive without that money.Maybe the sponsors should be the target of change?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 9:01 am    

From my perspective the Payola thing was going strong up until 10 or so years ago. To get a tune on rock radio on the east coast you paid $10,000 to this guy named Rocko in Phila ! I'm not kidding. It was a better system than what we have now with corporations replacing the mob. If people liked your tune the radio kept playing it. If they didn't, it would stop when the money ran out. Now radio is run by buildings full of experts who spend all there time trying to generate more ad revenues.

AS far as music goes " They don't care. They don't have to."

Bob

Its like Vegas having more music and fun when the mob ran it. Now that Disney is pulling the strings its losing the flavor.

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 9:27 am    

Hey Bob,I am embarrassed to know that Rocko was from Phila.,thats where I am from. If you recall Dick Clark was right in the thick of that stuff in Phila. and Band Stand.If your wondering,I never danced on that show.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 6:15 pm    

Herb-consultants control radio-they take-polls,surveys,etc.to find out what people want to hear(I'd love to know who they talk to)and report their findings to the big corporations who own the radio stations.(How's that for a run-on sentence?)Radio sells tires and refrigerators-not music. Billy-I'll bet that AJ record was"Gone Country"-it had way more than the MDR of steel in it-that's my favorite AJ record-and you are one of my favorite guitar players!

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 8:29 pm    

Hey Steve,
Billy Johnson ain't bad,but he ain't no Harlow Wilcox!! (remember,"Groovy Grubworm"??)

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 11-17-99]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 11:51 pm    

A few years back a friend of mine up at Arista NYC told me the "consultants" that control country radio worked out of Texas.

Tell me it ain't so !

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 11-17-99]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 5:07 am    

Two Country DJ's this morning, down here in Tampa bay;--------------------------------- were trying to figure out, a song that they could play---------------------------------the boss man walked in and said, this has got to stop.--------------------------------I want more Garth&Shania,and don't play Pop-A-top.---------------------------------------The Cd's selling out in stores,It could makes us all look Bad.-----------------------If this Alan keeps selling country songs,he might bring country Back.-------------------------Play more of the rockin tunes, some of the new guy Gaines.------------------------------And keep telling them its country,It keeps driving them insane...............

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 11-19-99]

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 8:13 am    

Work full time as afternoon dj and have no more say as to what goes on the air as the man in the moon. But I get paid, like my job, like my boss, so I'll do as I'm told. Also my family likes to eat. When I'm out playing at nite it always seems to me that the last person to get any input on the song list is the steel player. Don't know, Just don't know. Pat

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 9:00 am    

Pat been there done that. I was lucky enough to be able to make a living "Pickin and grinnin" that I set my own play list and had a request line. Needless to say I explained to PD's how they could enlargen a certain hole of their anatomy with the job. The playlist was always set by a clock,Carts were taken out before my broadcast time because they knew I would play what the people called in for. For the 6.00 an hr they were paying me to be on the air (Jocks don't make a ton if they don't sell their own spots) I chose to sleep longer for my real Job "Pickin and a Grinnin. Needless to say I lasted a lot longer then their Country format did.

------------------
cjc

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 3:22 pm    

Steve, thanks for your kind words. As for you Smiley, Oh well!! Seems alot of players are in for a different kind of ride, until someone realizes that there are people who actually love to listen to shuffles, or how about a walkin waltz, like The 24th Hour. Great to listen to, Better to play. Boy I sure miss the "COMMERCIAL" sounds of Mel Street & many others. Never thought I'd be so out of date at the age of 39. Shut Up Smiley.Hopefully REAL COUNTRY will make a come back. I know some are trying.
Billy

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 3:36 pm    

Smiles-sure I remember Harlow Wilcox and"Groovy Grubworm"!The radio station in my hometown used to play that record.Seems like he was from Oklahoma.