The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Price...I'm still mad
randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 11:52 am    

I think I own every tape Ray Price ever made. I got some of those out the other day, (looking for some lyrics for a gig), and I popped one in the player to get the words to "Take me as I am...". It turned out to be one of those he cut with an uptown sounding band and lots of violins, etc. I still hate the sound and I'm still mad that I can't find his wonderful voice and style with a country band on a bunch of great songs. I gotta tell you, "Take Me as I Am.." on this tape really sucks. I'm gonna buy Jimmy Dickens tape just to hear it done right.

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 11:32 pm    

Ray price is a good singer when he sing country. He is a good singer when he sing
Frank Sinatra.I just never care for Frank.
IMHO Some of the stuff Ray has done,would
fit in the same catagorey as cross over.

------------------

randy

Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 5:43 am    

You're right Bill that he was certainly widening his audiance, (he did it too), but my slant is a little different.

I just mean that I didn't like the way he sang the song. No tempo, and he messes with the tune more than I like. It is really a personal thing with me. I appreciate the way Ray can make a song sound sad, (when it is appropriate), without changing the shuffle tempo.

He's actually doing it right(IMHO), again now with his more recent tours and releases. Just listen to "Touch My Heart", "I Just Destroyed the World...", "Way To Survive", etc., with that bass walkin along and the rythm guitar and piano bouncing off that bass...it really thrills me.

He is still the top of my list of entertainers. I was just venting.

randy

Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 9:10 am    

Close er up B0b...I think I'm makin folks nervous.

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 10:47 am    

I've always enjoyed Ray's older stuff, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to listen to his post 60's albums and still hear where the steel should(needs) to be. At times it almost easier to play to those records because there is not already a steel line in there to guide you-you can do what you want. Ray is not only one of the greats of this industry, but one of the true characters, too. He is working on a new album due out in late winter, early spring. I'm not looking for a lot of steel, if any, but for Ray Price, that's O.K. with me. Y'all have a great day. Pat

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 1:15 pm    

Ray Price recordings are what got me interested in steel guitar. No wonder with the greats he had working with him ! I'm just glad that Vince & John are around to fill the void.