The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice to a newcomer
Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 12:57 am    

Hi folks,
I'm considering taking up hawaiian guitar and would welcome advice on makes, prices etc.
I know it's a big world out there with every body's favourites but I'm willing to accept advice from all quarters.
Thanks.

------------------
Chippy
Carter S10/Pad

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 7 May 2000 5:00 am    

If you want a good deal check out Johnson,Fender,or Regal.These want require blood to buy.Gone are the days when you could buy a new Dobro Brand dobro for $400.00.Fender is the only American guitar comp.that I know of that has a good deal on a Dobro.In the early 90s the $$$ jumped out of sight.Be sure and play several of the imports before you buy.The one I owned played and sounded great.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 5:16 am    

Whether you're in the market for a resophonic or an electric lap steel, I'd suggest you check out Melobar (www.melobar.com). A full range of instruments, all very reasonably priced.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 7 May 2000 6:23 am    

Also if you are looking for a lap steel Ernie's Music is listed on the links section of the forum.Ernie Pollock is a great guy who will give you an outstanding deal on a lap steel.He has steels that are quality + that are great for starting out on.He is also a fantastic player and teacher who knows steel guitars.You can't beat Ernie Pollock.

Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 6:42 am    

Thanks Guy's I'll take your advice, the chance to actually see a lap steel or a dobro is very remote up here, and it's really a question of getting good advice and buying unseen. I have looked at a couple of sites on the forum ( where would we be without it?).
Once again thanks for replying.

------------------
Chippy
Carter S10/Pad