The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1957 Fender Deluxe 8 Survey
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 5:16 pm    

This message is for everyone who looks at this thread (except Bob Stone with whom I have already been in contact with several times).

I have had my 1957 Deluxe 8 listed on the "Buy And Sell" for over a week with several people wanting more info but thought the price was to high for it's condition. I have loaded a picture of this guitar on my web page. I don't know how to attach the link so I will have to put it in the post.

I would like everyone to look at this picture and give me an "HONEST" opinion of what "YOU" think the guitar is worth and why. I was hoping for $400.00 plus enough to cover shipping anywhere in the US. I am not trying to sell the guitar with this post but do want to know how some of you put a price on your
instruments.

I admit this guitar's finish is rough and it does not have the original case. If it did, I assure you, it would be worth much more. I would like to know if people are buying these things to look at or play and it seems to
me everyone wants one but only at a give away price. I like bargains as much as the next guy but looking at todays prices, I really think $400.00 is a fair price for a 1957 Fender Deluxe 8 for someone who wants one to play. Let me know what you think.

Harry
http://www.digisys.net/users/sheppard/bob.html

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 2:43 am    

I bought one in Hollywood about 5 years ago in absolute MINT condition with original case but the legs were missing for $250. I think it was a mid 60s model.I found legs for it for $35 about two years later and sold it to a motivated buyer in Reno for $400.If I was gonna buy yours I'd offer you $175 and certainly not more than $200-cause I'd have to refinish it.But hey...It's your world.By the way,model years don't seem to matter as much with Stringmasters and single 8 Deluxes-56 thru 68 or whatever-they all sound good and there weren't that many changes.And what changes there were - were IMPROVEMENTS. Like the blend control and Tele style lever switch which weren't on early 50s models. -MJ-

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 5 May 2000 3:25 am    

Try Ebay

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 6:50 am    

Hi Harry,

I have been watching these on E-bay for the last few weeks. They seem to go fron 150 for rough guitars to about 375 for real nice ones. I'm not sure if this one you have is considered rare compared to the others Ive seen, but if its not, I would imagin around 200 would be fare. The case you have is appropriate for a players instrument as apposed to a collector piece.

Unfortunately that's probably not what you wanted to hear. You may find that using this guitar is you best bet.

Joe

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 7:41 am    

I would agree with Andy that eBay might be your best bet if you have to have $400 for that guitar. For what it's worth, I bought a 1957 Deluxe 8 last year through eBay in great condition (about 8.5 on a scale of 1-10) for $425 (including original case).
I would guesstimate that your guitar would be worth between $300 and $400 given its condition and the lack of original case. (I would judge this guitar to be about a 5 based on the same scale and based on that photo).
Good luck - I hope you are happy with your sale.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 8:48 am    

I will chime in on this one, with my $.02, All, of course, IMHO. But like many of us, I buy and sell all the time, so this is now I would view the instrument.

There are really three parallel valuations on this guitar: first, to a collector; second, to a restorer/reseller; and thirdly, to a player.

To a collector, the guitar in its current shape really has no value above its parts, since there is a plethora of very clean specimens of this thing out in society. It could be used to replace missing parts in instruments that are in generally better shape but missing certain elements, like peghead assemblies, bridge covers, etc. Probably worth about $150 for the parts.

To a restorer/reseller, it would be worth about what MJ's valuation is. It's all there, except for case, but time/money/labor would be involved in bringing it up to clean condition. Still, a collector probably would not be interested, but it would be more attractive to a player.

For a player who does not care about the cosmetics, but wants a utilitarian S-8, it would be worth a little more than what MJ valued it at. The case is probably worth about $75, so a price of $250 in the condition it's in would be the fair market, IMHO. If it were professionally restored/refinished, probably about $350... $400 TOPS... to a player. But it should be really clean.

Bear in mind that S-8's being manufactured today retail for $800-1200 (West Coast, Remington, Sierra), but there is relatively little, though some, demand for these (granted, the Sierra is quite unique sounding). But since D-8's can be had for $750-850, and T-8's around $1000, I consider the new guitars to be attractive to someone who does not wish to search for an older specimen, wants the features of one of the newer guitars, likes the builder, etc. Price would not be an issue in this respect.

My own bottom line? I'd pay $250 tops, or keep looking.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 8:51 am    

Great case. Better than the original, IMHO.

Sure, the finish is beat up, but if the guitar plays well I think that it's worth $400 easy. All of the nicks and scratches add "character" if you play the blues.

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 11:37 am    

To expand a little bit on what Herb said, I would add an additional catagory; The player who is not a "collector" per se, but wants a cool vintage instrument. Someone who would put up with cosmetic flaws to have a Fender steel from that period instead of just any "utilitarian" steel. As b0b points out, the beat-up appearance might even add character in some circles. The newer case wouldn't be a detraction for such a player.

As has often been pointed out, an item is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it. Lap steels, especially Fenders, have been rising in price and demand for the last few years now. If that trend continues, you'll see fewer good deals as the pristine examples are plucked from the market. I've certainly seen this happen with photographic equipment in a relatively short time.

I bought my '59 Stringmaster double in excellent condition with original tweed case from a local music store about three years ago. I paid $400 at that time, which was about the going rate. Since then, I would estimate it's value has risen 50-75% (It's not for sale).

So, while $400 seems a little on the high side for the Deluxe, it's not completely outrageous. It doesn't seem that anybody here would jump on it at that price, though. I agree that e-bay is your best bet. Or just hang on to it. If the trend continues, that might be a reasonable price in just a year or so.

my two cents...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 4:46 pm    

AS far as the sound of that particular Fender. Any '50s Deluxe-8 stringmaster pick-up style will sound far beyond better than one from the '60s. They made them out of a total different grade of Ash in the '50s and will sound noticably better than one from the '60s. I know this because I've played them all and that is a huge change in my opinion because the Fenders are all built around and into the wood; unlike most other non-pedal steels. That's my opinion and it would be worth 400 on the sound alone; but I already have one so don't need it.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 9:14 am    

I tend to agree, Ricky. The Deluxe 8 I had was made in the late sixties, and the sound just died at the high frets. The ones from the fifties sustained better.

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)