The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel
nelson

Madison, WI
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2000 7:05 pm    

I have been listening to my sacred steel in florida CD. It has some cool sounds on it.

In This Is A Holy Church...It has a great horn tone.

Anyone know how its done? Is there a volume pedal in there some where? Any pointers or comments on any of the playing styles would be appreciated.
(unless of course someone is actually playing horn on that track.)

-Wayne-

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2000 8:02 pm    

Hi Wayne...I cannot answer your question. However, if you enjoy Sacred Music,(steel, vibes, guitar, bass), I'll send you a nice relaxing tape postpaid for a very reasonable price. You can e-mail me for my snail address. This tape was done by me a few years ago and I play all the instruments. Those who have it have sent me many compliments. Akua ke Aloha.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2000 5:34 am    

Sonny Treadway ("This is a Holy Church," etc.) does not use a volume pedal, nor does he manipulate the volume or tone controls on his guitar as he is playing. His steel is essentially Fender DeLuxe 8 hardware and a Sho Bud pedal steel tuner assembly fitted to a custom body he made from unidentified scrap lumber. His amp is a Fender Compact Bassman. He used the same setup and same tasty backup guitarist, Ronnie Mozee, to record his studio album "Jesus Will Fix It," Arhoolie CD 462.

Back to CD 450. We arrived at Sonny's church after services had begun , set up an 8-Track ADAT quicly and grabbed what was left of the service. Immediately after church services Sonny and the band played a few more (while the congregation went next door for fellowship and fried chicken) including Don't Let the Devil Ride, In the Garden and At the Cross.

Incidently, ALL the selections on CD450 were live field recordings. ADAT was used for everyone except Eason, who was recorded in his home using a stereo DAT and a couple of Sennheisers. His "Roosevelt," added after the initial project was completed, was recorded live at a concert at the Univ. of FL and mixed live to stereo DAT.

Concerning the other artists on CD450: Ghent plays a 50s Fender Studio DeLuxe and manipulates the guitar's volume and tone knobs while playing through a Peavy Session (400 or 500?); Nelson (Ghent's father) plays a DeLuxe 8, Dobro tuning pitched to Bb and using very heavy strings, manipulates the knobs, don't remember the amp; Glenn Lee was playing an Emmons D10 and used a giant-sized Morley wah pedal he inherited from his uncle, Lorenzo Harrison, played through a Peavy Session. Eason plays a 50s Epiphone Electar 6 and sometime softens the tone while singing. All of them except Eason use Stevens bars. He was using an old brass bar with straight cut ends.

Bob Stone

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 01 May 2000 at 06:52 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 01 May 2000 at 06:55 AM.]

nelson

Madison, WI
Post  Posted 2 May 2000 6:21 pm    

Thanks bob...

I love the sound of that wah wah pedal
and the steel guitar.

I used a compressor, and got more of a horn like tone. Especially on the 4th string
above the 12th fret.

I realize some of the effect is from playing classic horn lines, but the more i listen to it,,
the more i swear its a whole brass band.

-Nelson-