The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why Do You Play The Hawaiian Steel Guitar?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 9:51 am    

I truly enjoy the sincerity of each respondent's comments. But I'm still confused (likley due to my old age)....as to the differences so often given as to why a PSG or Lap Steel is this or that over the other configuration. I routinely play Hawaiian songs, a lot of Jerry Byrd's arrangements, etc., and do so on my '72 Emmons Dbl-10 p/p. I simply do not use the pedals and would defy 'most anyone who might listen to it, to identify the guitar by it's sound. It's bar technique, I believe, that makes the difference and not whether or not it's lying on your lap or standing up on its own legs. Choice of strings also can influence the sound when it comes to slants and the like. Large guage strings tend to make string noise that is disconcerting. Oh well.

Mischa Sobel

Cresskill, NJ 07626
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2000 4:01 am    

Like I've told my pedal buddies; "Real" men SLANT the bar!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2000 6:00 am    

Bit of trivia,

When I first got my PSG-D-10, I played the C neck LIKE Jerry Byrd plays it albeit with pedals. I have never played it any other way.

I am still amazed as to why C6 (which JB invented) on the PSG, is ONLY used for big chords and western swing/jazz.

I use the pedals and knee levers to give me the slants that I use when playing my 7 string Rick. And set the tone controls on the steel and amp to get as close to the sound I get on the Rick. Not exactly of course but not too bad.

I love to do this, because the pedals and knee levers allow pretty phrases not possible on the lap steel. I play all the old JB tunes on it too. Wonder why more do not do this?

But then that is an ole codger from days gone by talking. You reckon?

God bless,

carl

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 8:19 pm    

Hi Non Pedal Players,

I have a 37 Ricky and its tone is great! Just used it on a new Gospel CD and tape I am finishing up recording now. The sound is really neat.

I also play a 14 string BMI steel but I enjoy the lap Rickenbacker as much. Of course for years my wife and I listened to a lot of Hawaiian records and a lot of Jerry Byrd. In fact she enjoys Jerry the most of all steel guitarists. Can't say I blame her, since I like Jerry and Bud Tutmarc alot!!!

It's okay to play both, though I am getting a little fed up with the Pedal Steelers side of this Forum. Do you guys support your heroes of the non-pedal steel?

God Bless You All!

Terry Wood

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 12:27 pm    

i also have a 37 rickenbacher, and although i haven't played it much yet, everytime i pick it up, the tone that comes out is this special gooey sound i don't hear anywhere else....and it makes me want to use it more.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 12:31 am    

I did pack up everything and move to Maui to play Hawaiian music but I do it on a pedal steel guitar. Granted, the tone is not the same, but I get very nice tone with my steel and I try to sound as non-pedal as I can by pedaling each chord before I play it instead of while I'm playing it like the Nashville E9ers do. I play C6th (B6th) and all the musicians I play with are very impressed by the range of sophisticated chords. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sound of real Hawaiian steel.
I've never, ever slanted the bar. I don't know if I should be proud of that or ashamed of it.
There's not much work here, there is alot of compitition for what work there is and the pay is terrible. ALOOOOOOOHA!!!!!!!

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 7:04 pm    

Why do I play Hawaiian steel ? Well I have heard "hawaiian" music played on pedals and you know,it just does not come out as Hawaiian. You only have to listen to the great masters such as Dick McIntire, Andy Iona and so many, many others, (including JB) to fully comprehend the real Hawaiian sound. I have great admiration for pedal steel and most, (not all), players. They have generally mastered r/h blocking and can pick a million notes a minute. But I personally prefer tasty beautifuly played notes with slants, vibrato and tone as one will usually hear on Hawaiian style steel. As Hawaiians would say, it's so nahi nahi.
By the way, is that 'YOU' (Ray Montee from Portland ?) If so, e-mail your old pal....sure miss hearing from you!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 3:21 am    

Hi Non-Peddlers,

I have to disagree with the statement that great Hawaiian music can't be played on a pedal steel guitar. I have heard some beautiful Hawaiian music played on the pedal steel guitar.

I love Hawaiian steel guitar and Jerry Byrd, Bud Tutmarc, Pua Almedia, and the rest of the non pedal pushers just as much as all of you. However, the truth is that Hawaiian music is a novelty these days. It is appreciated by few, and if it were popluar as it once was, you can bet all the "Biggies," would be playing it from here to Timbuktu.

Don't misunderstand me and think I am knocking the non-pedal steel, but to believe it can't be played on a pedal steel is simply not so. In fact, one of the most beautiful Hawaiian steel guitar albums I ever heard was recorded by Buddy Merrill and the Lawrence Welk cast. He played it on a double ten Rosewood Emmons, pedals and all. Don't believe me, check it out.The title is Beyond the Reef featuring the Hawaiian Guitars of Buddy Merril.

God Bless,
Terry J. Wood

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 9:55 am    

Pedal vs non-pedal on Hawaiian music......

I think that Hawaiian music could be played on pedal steel and probably still come out sounding very Hawaiian, but I think it would require an entirely different approach than what most pedal players are used to. Probably something like Don described.

To me, the beauty of Hawaiian music is the fact that it "is not" cluttered up with big fancy chords. It is a lot of single string playing that is accented with 1 or 2 harmony notes usually, which all adds up to a very "clean" style of playing.

I have two CDs by Harry Kalapana that really illustrates the difference of the two styles. On one of them he is playing non-pedal Hawaiian in the traditional manner, wityh all the slants etc. It is about as Hawaiian as it gets.

On the other CD he is playing Hawaiian songs on pedal steel, and while it is still good music, there is no way you would think it was being played in "the" Hawaiian style. It sounds good until he starts using the pedals for the chord changes, and then it sounds like it came straight out of Nashville. Anything but Hawaiian.

I think to truly play Hawaiian style on pedal steel you would have to use a lot of bar slants and totally avoid the use of pedals for chord changes, unless like Don said, you could do it without it showing. In that case, why not just use non-pedal to start with.

I have switched over to non-pedal, and enjoy it so much more than pedal steel, I'm thinking of selling my D-10 Sho-Bud. I never even take it out of the case anymore. But then, that's what makes horse races is'nt it?....If everybody liked the same horse, there woul'nt be much reason for having a race.

"I've gone native now", Kimo (Jim)

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 12 April 2000 at 10:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 12 April 2000 at 02:11 PM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 10:20 am    

Jim,
What is the name of the Harry Kalapana non-pedal CD? Label?

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 11:26 am    

I play it to pick up girls.

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 12:00 pm    

Gerald, the CD that he plays non-pedal on is "Aloha Hawaii", and it is on EPM 995172.

The other CD is "Musique Du Monde" (music from the world), and it is on the Buda Records label, number 82447-2.

Both of these CDs were recorded in Tahiti and produced in France. They are both available through Auntie Maria's.

The picture on the front of the pedal steel one is worth the price, even though the music is'nt as good.

Jim

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 9:20 pm    

I have heard Buddy Merrills fine steel on that album. He is a great musician, but does not have that special Hawaiian touch which can only come from non-pedals, unless as Jim stated, you ignore the pedals altogether and concentrate upon steel bar dexterity. Billy Hew Len tried pedals but gave up on them because 1. the sound was not pure Hawaiian, 2. Hawaiians like to set up fast and carry little weight, and 3. the pedal mechanism rusted out on his guitar due to the sea air. He eventually discarded the pedals and played that guitar 'straight'. When I jammed with him, he played fry pan which gave him that great sound. Pedals, to me, are the
"Cadillac" of steel guitars as they are capable of playing all those 'lost' chords which we non-pedal players can only drool about. But I still prefer my 'Model T' and the challenge it presents every time I pick it up.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 3:43 pm    

Hey George,

Check out Reece Anderson's latest steel cassette on the non-pedal Boen.

He playes some great chords and key changes with slick arrangements with his 10 string NON-PEDALl steel. Then you'll really drool! I sure did and do!!!

God Bless,
Terry Wood
1937 Silver Ricky = 14 string BMI