The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  similar lap steels, different brands
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 6:52 am    

I've seen several identical lap steels listed as different brands on ebay. The latest I've seen is here, http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=305129053, called a Leilani.

I've seen these listed as Magnatones and Dickersons, and now Leilani. They tend to have the same pearlized finish, usually gray, same angled pickup w/cover plate, and the same fretboard with the little swirly fret markers at the 5th and 12th frets. What's the deal?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 7:47 am    

According to "The Hawaiian Steel Guitar and Its Great Hawaiian Musicians" edited by Lorene Ruymar and published by Centerstream Press, Delbert Dickerson began manufacturing lap steels in the 1930s. At one point they were manufacturing 200 guitars a week under 10 different brands. The company was sold to Gaston Fator, who later sold it to Magna Electronics. Magna sold their guitars under the Magnatone name.
I've seen these guitars listend under the names Varsity, Southern California Music Co., Oahu, Bronson, Dickerson, Ball, and Magnatone.
The January and February 1998 issues of Vintage Guitar magazine had articles on these guitars by John Teagle.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 10:22 am    

Postwar, Magna Electronics made,beginning in about '48, Leilani, Oahu, Dickerson, Magnatone, Rex Royal, Trick Bros., Electone and I believe Bronson brands ( there may be MORE brands!!! )...All student and Standard Hawaiian Guitars were the same, all hidden pickup MOTS just different headstock decals,
Mike