The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Regal resonators
Elaine Olson

Maui, HI 96790
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 3:14 pm    

Hi all,
This is my first posting: I have a really old Silvertone lap steel, and have gotten hooked playing this type of guitar!
Now I want to buy a lower-priced resonator guitar. I see a lot of Johnsons and Regals on ebay, etc. I like the way the Regals mahogany ones look. But they are a little more expensive than the Johnsons. Does anybody know how these brands compare, or should I investigate a different brand (maybe the Fenders). I want to play Hawaiian and bluegrass music.
Thanks!!
Elaine

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 4:21 pm    

.Regals and Johnsons can be set up with a Quarterman Cone that will improve their sound.I think that the Dobros that are being imported are priced where most American built ones should be.Unless you are going with one of the super hand crafted ones that are in there own class a nice import often will do the job.Unless you want to pay 2 to 4 thousand for a Tut Taylor type don't be suckered into losing your money.You might find a nice old Dobro Brand Dobro at a good price on Ebay.If I was starting over with a new guitar it would be a Fender,Regal or Johnson. After 30 years of playing a Dobro the mass produced ones made in America are priced way to high for learners.

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 8:38 pm    

Hey Andy, what about those Flinthills? I've never seen one since the stores here only have a couple of entry-level Regals but have heard about them from people who've had them upgraded also.....Brian

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 9:02 pm    

Yes the Flinthills are great for starting out also.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 9:10 am    

The Flinthill and Regals are the same guitar, both made in Korea. I had Regal a few years back (cost more then than they do now!) I put in a Q-man and it sounded real nice. Paul Beard sells already set up Flinthills but an eBay purchase (seen 'em go for just over 2 bills) and a Q-man cone may be the less expensive route.

On the links page of FRETS.com there is a website showing a cone refit on an old Dobro if you want to try it yourself.

Elaine Olson

Maui, HI 96790
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 11:02 am    

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies everyone!
It's great that the guitars can be upgraded
so inexpensively.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 5:12 pm    

Elaine: If you're in the market for a high quality, affordable resophonic, do yourself a favor and check out the new Melobars. I frankly think they're in a whole different league from anything else in the same price range. Melobar have a great demonstration video, free for the asking. www.melobar.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 9:19 am    

I have a Regal with upgraded Quartermann resonator, ebony bridge, new nut etc that Paul Beard did the work on. He did a really nice job and the guitar plays great and sounds good. I have a lot of fun with it.

That being said, I would still classify these intstruments as "student" models. They don't have the same tone as good resophonic guitar. After owning mine for a year or so (bought it as a starter instrument) I realized that I could not duplicate that distinctive hollow tone that I hear on recordings.

I asked Paul Beard about this, and maybe if there was something else that could be done to improve the tone. His response was that my ear, through extended listening and playing, had become more attuned to the sound of a better quality instrument and that I'd need to move up to a professional-grade guitar if I wanted that sound, and that what I was hearing was a limitation of the instrument.

If I was in the market today, I'd have to check out Melobar resonators to see if they came closer to the Dobro "ideal" than the upgraded Regal/Flinthill/Johnson/Epiphone class of instruments. I'd also seriously investigate any solid-wood instrument you can find that is in your price range (someone was selling a Tut Taylor here awhile back for around $800, that's a great price for a solid wood instrument).

Your mileage may vary!

-Bill

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 5:29 am    

I have a Regal without the Quaterman and I have a friend that has a Morrell that sounds better than my regal. the Morrell does not have a Quaterman either.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 6:25 am    

I have a Morrell as well and think it sounds great. I bought it here from Bob Knight real cheap. I can't play it for crap but it still sounds good. When I un-packed it the first thing I said was it sounded really good for so cheap. Then comparing it to a older dobro that hasn't been updated it sounded as good or better.

Now I just need to learn to play it!