The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Arlen Roth video
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 3:19 pm    

I've been dieing to get down to music here and talk about this new Arlen Roth video, "Lap Steel Guitar". I haven't had time to watch it all but it looks great. He uses a National and an old Rick and starts right off in good Hawaiian style that I think is really going to surprise a lot of people who think of Hot Licks videos as kid rock. I've known Arlen since '81 and he was introduced to us as a hot lap steel player, of course back then it wasn't cool, but Hey, that was then-this is now. Right?

Anyone else seen this video, and what were thier thoughts??

Ted

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 3:32 pm    

No! I haven't seen the video and until now, I haven't even known of it's existance. So, where did'ya get it from?
... J-D.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 3:37 pm    

I hadn't known the video existed until you mentioned it, Ted. I don't see it listed on the Hot Licks web site, so I'm assuming it's brand new.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 4:45 pm    

I looked and looked and I can't find the name of the guy that told me about it last week, to give credit where credit was do, so whoever that was, if you're out there speak up, and I am really sorry for forgetting who that was.

Anyway, I got the 800 number here.
800-388-3008 and they have email on their web site.

This was comp., do we have a neutral guy who's a borderline beginner to give it a try and a review out there? I'll send this one to them.

Ted

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 6:24 pm    

Ted,
I consider myself a borderline beginner who's reasonably objective. I'd be glad to review it.

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 11 February 2000 at 09:28 AM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:35 pm    

Ted,
What tunings does he use? What percentage
Hawaiian? What other styles?

Thanks,

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:54 pm    

Ted,

I would love to review it for the Forum.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 8:34 pm    

Hey! Why don't we pass it around and get several reviews,
Aloha,
Mike

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 9:19 pm    

I've been building Gerald and haven't had the time to really study it. And I like to see if a video really works by seeing what somebody learns from it. Sometimes players presume beginners know terms etc. and can miss it,(I have dad on tape saying "of course you're born knowing your triads"). Arlen's focus has been on teaching is why I think this may be a really good one.

I think hearing a couple of reviews would be really a good idea Mikey. We're giving Hotlicks a ton of exposure here so I don't think they'll mind the comp., Send me an address on my email Don and I'll send it out to you right away. I guess we'll draw a number from there to be fair. Brad, can you take care of that?

Ted

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 9:49 pm    

Hey Ted,
Is there an audio version? I don't got no TV here.
Pat

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 6:43 am    

Count me in. Please

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 9:30 am    

Although I think it's a pretty good idea to get various people's opinions on this video, I would not want to start passing around a copyrighted video throught this forum. I plan on buying a copy for myself, and I'll certainly post my opinion.
If you want to do such an exchange, please do it outside of the forum.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 10:39 am    

I talked to Andy (in charge of Hotlicks) this morning Brad, and he was all for guys reviewing it. He gave the first one to me with the same thought that a review will let people know about it but that's fine, I'll still send this one to Don just on my own here.

I watched it closely early this morning Gerald. Starts off with Hawaiian, really nice stuff, in open E with Right hand block, good Slants, some Hank Williams country, then some Lindley with what he calls Sax Phrasing, good pedal steel chokes. I think this is the best overall lap steel video I've seen, in that he covers everything. Some "ok" Sleep Walk then what he calls High G bass(open G Dobro), sold me, I put it in as a package deal on the hotsheet and I wish I could give it to every beginner. It's more than just basics, it covers stuff you want to get doing. I got to get down his Blues Lead with constant Bass behind it in his ex.17, sounds like an entire Blues band playing, I could do that all night long.

Ted

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 10:11 am    

Where do I get a copy (PAL format) - how much and when can I have it ?

I have surfed a little with no joy.

Can someone help me please.

This sort of thing will be as rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK so I will need to import I imagine (as with everything else steely)!!!!!

Could someone post some help or maybe mail me ?

Thanks guys

Bill Dalton
Bolton
England

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 9:54 pm    

I didn't know he was a steel player, cuz he isn't a natural on guitar, that I know.

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 11:10 am    

Bill, Your question's been on my mind and I really feel for you guys overseas not being able to get what we take for granted.
I talked to Hotlicks today on delivery on tapes we already have ordered and asked them about PAL format. They will have it available in a couple of months and it should be available in England by then.

Ted