The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  teacher search
peter joseph burtt

kings beach, ca, usa
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 8:27 am    

Hi all,

Am searching for someone in the Lake Tahoe area to teach me electric slide/lap steel. So far I have been without success. Am willing to travel withinreason. have been trying to learn from videos and books up til now.

Thanks,

Peter

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 9:43 am    

Hey peter, If you lived in Oakland in 1970 you could have taken lessons with Helo Domonici at the Hawaiian School of Music. Two dollars a lesson. MAYBE you'll find a real live teacher to help you out. Should you not be so lucky don't be discouraged. Did Jerry, Joaquin, Herb, etc., have the information available to them that we have? No. Did they all develope their own unique and easily recognizable style? Yes. Hang in there my man - if you want it bad enough you'll get it.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 10:50 am    

Hi, Peter, wishing you the best of luck on your quest. If you don't find someone nearby, or would like some additional help, please email me- I've taught for many years and really like helping new steelers get off the ground, and I have a good mail instruction program- also working on a lap instruction book, see my other post. Good Luck!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 5:57 pm    

Peter,
If you don't mind the drive to Lake County, I could get you started. Let me know if you're interested.
Good luck,
Pat

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 8:39 pm    

Have you talked to Chris Ivey or Pete Dollard in Sacramento? Though they are pedal steel players, I'm sure that they each could give you a great deal of good help on non pedal playing as well. Both can be contacted through the forum. Pete Grant also lives in the foothills though I'm not certain how to reach him at this point. He is a great player on both pedal and non-pedal steel.

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 11:04 pm    

Thanks for the nice words Chris. Thanks to Brad Bechtel for turning me on to this thread.

I do teach, though I don't have a lot of spots open. What I've done with students from a long way off is to schedule a 2- or 3-hour lesson and tape all the important parts, get stuff written down, then have them come back when they're ready for more.

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 2:48 am    

Hey Pete,
How have you been? Do you still have that 10 string Dobro? I've picked up an 8 string since I last saw you at Grass Valley. Had Tim Scheerhorn set it up for me. Did you hear Rob and his wife had a baby girl last week? He's pretty excited. Good to see you on the forum.
Pat

Raybob

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 7:54 am    

Peter, I'm in South Lake Tahoe and could teach you. I'll send you an email

Pete Grant, didn't you teach Jerry Garcia how to play PSG???

------------------
Sierra S12 8+5 A6/D9 Uni

[This message was edited by Raybob on 22 February 2000 at 07:57 AM.]

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 2:18 pm    

Hi Patrick, I've been fine and yes I still have the Zephyr 10-string Dobro. Glad you got an 8-string. You can't have too many strings. I think. Convey my congrats to Rob and his wife.

Raybob, I did show Jerry Garcia a few things on PSG when he first got his ZB, but, really, he taught himself, and had only been playing a few months when he cut "Teach Your Children" with CS&N.

Pete (www.petegrant.com)