The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sierra Crown u-12 For Sale
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 6:10 am    

SOLD... I'd like to thank Jon Jaffe again for taking the photos and also Pete Burak who helped solve a problem with the modular pickup which was not getting sound. He suggested cleaning the contact points with an eraser, and it worked perfectly.

Early 90s Red Sierra Universal keyless Crown model 12 E9/B6 with folding legs, locking lever (lowers E's), 8 pedals and 5 knees, very sturdy with modular pickup and an extra pickup included. Is in excellent condition as is the Cush case. The steel is 65 lbs. in the case. The copedant is discussed in one of my later posts in this thread if you scrool down.

This steel was set up at the end of last year by Bobby Bowman for my friend who had the half stop on the second string taken off as well as the E to E b lock lever. All part are included should you wish to put the original changes on again. Thanks to Forumite Jon Jaffe for his patience & time in adding photos; they were not reaching him until he figured out they were too large. He finally did get them and took the time make them smaller and more clear. I will answer any questions you might have.

$1580 plus shipping. THIS GUITAR IS IN AUSTIN, TEXAS presently. If you've wanted to try the universal tuning, here's the chance. The Sierra company is also back in business for parts should you need them. Thanks, Steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 10 March 2005 at 05:34 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 11 March 2005 at 06:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 11 March 2005 at 06:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 13 March 2005 at 05:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 13 March 2005 at 05:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 14 March 2005 at 06:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 17 March 2005 at 06:24 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 17 March 2005 at 01:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 18 March 2005 at 12:55 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 19 May 2005 at 04:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 19 May 2005 at 04:31 AM.]

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2005 1:54 pm    

Live from Beijing, China

[This message was edited by Jon Jaffe on 13 March 2005 at 02:05 PM.]

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 6:47 am    

Guys, these Sierra "Crowns" are wonderful guitars, solid as a rock and crisp pedal and knee levers. This is a great buy.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:20 am    

This looks to be a fine guitar for the price. I owned a a great Sierra Crown S14 E9/B6 (8p/7k). It played well, sounded great and required very little maintenance. It was my only stage guitar for about 10 years and the only thing it required during that time was the normal string changes and slight lubication about once every 12 to 15 months or so.

About the tuning keys on this guitar: they appear to be "first generation" gearless design. My Sierra had the same design tuning keys and was built in 1983. That being said, I believe this PSG was probably built in the early to mid '80's. Steve, Jon, if you have the serial number I will be able to tell what year it was made.

None the less, someone will be very happy with this guitar.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 1:26 pm    

I just looked closely at the back apron and noticed the "Change Lock" lever is mounted at the right end of the apron. The way it's set-up would indicate the E to Eb knee lever is mounted in the RKL posittion. Steve, in light of that observation, the E9 pedals could be either "Emmons" or "Day" style. You might want to indicate that info for potential buyers.

Best wishes to all involved for a happy sale and purchase.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 14 March 2005 at 09:29 PM.]

steve takacs

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 5:46 pm    

Billy & Glenn, nice to hear from you & thanks for checking in with your input. I'm in the process of getting the copedant and serial number from my friend in Austin, Glenn. Will send it I recieve it. steve t

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 6:17 pm    

Gotta love these Sierra's......

steve takacs

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 5:51 am    

Glenn, If you can help date the guitar I'd appreciate it; here is the serial number: SSM 12 6946. The copedant is nearly the same that is listed on the Steel Guitar Forum's Tunings Page. Once you find the homepage, click on the tunings icon at the top. Scrool down to Sierra U 12/14. There are only two differences between my steel and this tuning and they are:
8th pedal - 10th string G# to A and 11th string E to F# (This was set up for Merle Travis playing but can be changed back to the Boo Wah since all theparts are there) and

RKL - B to A# (5th string only)

The rest of the changes are: LKL - E to F, LKR - E to Eb (both on strings 4 & Cool Vertical - F# to G (strings 1 & 7), RKR - 2nd string D# to D & 9th string B to D, Pedals 1-7 standard universal setup (Emmons). Thanks for your help. steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 17 March 2005 at 05:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 17 March 2005 at 05:57 AM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 18 March 2005 at 12:50 AM.]

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 11:23 am    

Steve,

On the S14 I used to own the last two digits of the serial number were 83 which according to Don Christensen at Sierra indicated the year of manufacture. Since the serial number of this Sierra doesn't have a two-digit ending that would conform to the '80's decade, I'll have think the serial number sequences changed and only the last digit indicates the year of a decade. With that said, my best guess on the year would be 1986.

Also, if the E to Eb is on the LKR, how is the "Change-Lok" lever on the right side of the apron connected?

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

steve takacs

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 12:59 am    

Hi, Glenn; I 've solved the "mystery of the migrating lock lever". This steel was gone over & set up at the end of last year by Bobby Bowman for my friend who wanted the half stop on the second string taken off as well as the E to E b lock lever. All those parts are included should anyone wish to put the original changes on again. Thanks, steve t

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 18 March 2005 at 12:59 AM.]

steve takacs

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2005 10:53 am    

EL BUMPO

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2005 5:32 pm    

Hey Steve. How was Thailand? That is one beautiful Sierra. This may sound like a stoopid question, but is it a mica, or a lacquer body? I couldn't tell from the pictures.
Enjoy, Duncan

steve takacs

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 11:03 am    

Hi, Duncan, how goes it? Thailand was superb; friendly people, lots of golf, warm temps, and to make matters even better, I was on vacation and was able to get some rest! I did not, however have access to a pedal steel. The Sierra is red mica, to answer you question. It may be sold; I should know in a couple of weeks. You take care. steve t

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 10 April 2005 at 12:03 PM.]

steve takacs

Post  Posted 19 May 2005 3:35 am    

SOLD! Please close. I'd like to thank Jon Jaffe again for listing the photos and Pete Burak for helping me solve the problem of a pickup that was too shy to speak. Donation coming when I return to the USA, bob. Hopefuly, I will be able to sell a few more goodies and add to that amount. steve t