The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Melobar's "dobroism"
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 7:44 am    

I would love to hear a soundclip of Melobar's dobroism feature that is supposed to make the lapsteel sound like a Dobro.

Can anyone point me to one?

Thanks

-Bill

Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 12:08 pm    

I'll assume you mean other than on the Melobar "video catalog"...

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 1:31 pm    

Yes. Ted kindly sent me a copy of the video,
but for me at the least the video did not
convey the sound of the instruments well.

Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 2:36 pm    

Know what you mean...and agree...

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 3:30 pm    

Hmmm,I know we need a new video, that was the best I could do with the playing ability and camera equipment I had. I'm not sure what more I can do guys. Any ideas? One thought I had when I saw Bill's first post was that we have a lot of guys using everything we build out there now. If you guys could send in some video clips playing actually with bands and songs that most other players will be wanting to do, that would give a much better over all sound taste of everything.??

Ted

Dan Fullmer

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 6:02 am    

Bill,
I just bought an SXL with dobroism. I can attest that it does a great job. I'm running through a Peavey 400 Ltd. For Dobro sound I just turn down the lows on the amp and the guitar has enough tone control to do the rest. You can get a bright Dobro sound that really punches, or tone it back to a more hollow sound for the sweet stuff.
Sorry I don't have sound clips... I'll work on that.
Dan

Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 8:20 am    

Sorry Ted, the video is a good idea and your playing is fine. Just meant the video quality shows signs of degredation/cutouts
(at least on my copy!)...

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 1:27 pm    

Ted:

In my opinion, your products would much better be served by a demo CD that is highly focused to spotlight each product and special effect (like the Dobroism). You could also include some high quality audio clips on your website that would be a download page where customers could easily hear what your stuff sounds like. And please, if you decide to do this, make them high-quality mp3s that are downloadable. There's nothing worse than trying to hear what something actually sounds like from a Real Audio clip.

For ideas, you might want to visit www.tonefrenzy.com and look at what they have done in the area of soundclips for products.
Also get a copy of Line6's demo CD and see what they have done in that area. I've heard it and was impressed. National Resophonic also has a demo CD featuring Bob Brozman demoing their guitars (haven't heard that one). I think the idea of having one of your endorsers as the demonstrator is a good way to go.

I really believe that superior quality recordings of your products would be of great benefit to your customers in selecting the right guitar for them, and will also be a very effective sales tool for you as well.

Sincerely,

-Bill

PS Another website you might want to visit is www.danelectro.com They have soundbytes of each of their guitars there. They could be better, but it still is very effective (I bought a Danelectro Baritone after hearing the soundclip!).