The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Limited Edition Buck Owens Telecaster
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 9:08 am    

I have been told that Fender Custom Shop only produced this guitar for about 6 months and made about 2000 of them. The gold tone and volume knobs are slightly faded on the top but otherwise this guitar is in mint condition. I have only played it out about 3 times. Otherwise it has just been stored here in the case. I am a HUGE Buck Owens fan and this guitar is a great "trophy" but I believe that guitars are meant to be played. I am not going to play it, therefore I am selling it. On Buck Owens' Crystal Palace website, they are selling these guitars for $5000!!! (I doubt they sell many of them.) The pictures don't really do this guitar justice...it is a beauty! CLICK HERE FOR THE PICTURES
I am asking $1500 + shipping for this collector guitar.

Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa
davecfi@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by Dave Alfstad on 27 January 2005 at 09:10 AM.]

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 10:28 pm    

Check the back of the head stock. If this is one that was made in Japan, it sold for about $500.

They look like a Custom Shop Guitar but are essentially MIJ Tele's with cool sparkle finishes.

I used to have one.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 9:15 am    

Yeah, it looks like the Japan model. It's stamped on the back of the neck down where it's bolted to the body. Still a nice guitar but not sure it should go for that much. Only my opinion though.

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 10:51 am    

Yes, It is Japanese. Maybe I have too high a price on it. I have seen them on e-bay and have seen them go pretty high. I will consider any reasonable offers.

Dave Alfstad

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 7:43 pm    

By the way. Weren't ALL the Buck Owens Tele's made in Japan? That's all I've ever seen or heard of. Made in Fender's Custom Shop in Japan. I have never heard of this model as an American made instrument. I could be wrong...if so, educate me.

Thanks,
Dave Alfstad

Geoff Brown

Nashvegas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 10:47 pm    

I don't believe Fender Japan has ever had a custom shop. But...they have, since the 80's made some great limited production runs, most of which were made for the domestic Japanese market, and not exported. Fender Japan guitars are generally regarded as very high-quality, with many on a par with USA custom shop guitars. I've had several and can vouch for this. Dave, if you want to email me I might be able to help you figure out just what it is you have, or point you in the right direction, at least.

John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 1:12 am    

There was a USA "Buck", I had one.
JR

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 4:55 am    

These links might provide a little more info for you:
http://www.slidestation.com/Don%20Rich/Don%20Rich.htm
[url=http://www.slidestation.com/Buck/jerry's_BO_equipment.htm]http://www.slidestation.com/Buck/jerry's_BO_equipment.htm[/url]

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 5:57 am    

Thanks for the Info Jerry. You ought to know!!

Ray

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 7:52 am    

The Japanese Fenders are great guitars. I have an 80's paisley, blue flower print, rosewood and an Esquire. I have played some of the Mexico reissues and think they are pretty good too.
Dave

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2005 6:58 pm    

There seems to be some questioning of the facts here, and, Dave A., you seem to be asking what a fair price for this guitar is, so I'll interject here. The 2005 Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists the "Custom Shop Buck Owns Ltd. Edition Telecaster", Fender Japan (made between 1998-2002); red, white and blue sparkle finish, etc.; for $850 - 950 estimated retail price. Do a Google search for "buck owens tele", I got a couple of 'for sale' hits that were fairly consistent with that range, check it out. This price guide assumes "Excellent" condition, which means no significant flaws of any kind, but not necessarily mint. There may be some premium for "Mint" in even such a recent model. I've been a vintage guitar dealer in the past, and still set up at vintage guitar shows occasionally - this price guide is the 'gold standard', IMO. I wouldn't buy anything in the guitar world without first checking this guide. I might pay more or less for a guitar, but this is a reality check. I've owned many American- and Japanese-made reissue strats and teles, the quality of both have been excellent, IMO. But there usually is a significant difference in price. Note also that $850 - 950 is significantly more money than a typical Japanese-made reissue tele, which books for about $450 - 600 in excellent condition. Finally, note that I'm not saying that I know you can't get $1500 for this guitar. There's one on ebay now for big $$, but I don't see any bids. I hope this information helps.

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 5:25 am    

Thanks a lot for all the info. I understand I may have a high "sticker price" on this guitar but I figured I could come down if needed. There seems to be and issue regarding the Japan and USA models of this guitar. Jerry Brightman has some wonderful pictures of a great Tele but it is not this model. I have never seen THIS model guitar that was NOT made in Japan. If anyone has pictures to the contrary, I would love to see them. I doubt that I could get $1500 if I took this guitar to e-bay but I'm sure I could get more than I've been offered from the SGF.
Thanks for all the info.
Dave Alfstad

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 7:42 pm    

Close this thread please.
Thanks