The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Dual Professional questions
RonC

Twin Cities, MN
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 2:35 pm    

A local music store has a Dual 8-string Fender Dual Professional steel (with the strings through the pickup) that looks to be in relatively decent shape except for the following:

1. It is missing the legs. I've heard that repro legs are available. Who sells them and what's a good price for them?

2. One tuner has been replaced with a plastic buttoned tuner. I'm sure the round buttons are hard to come by. Would it be possible to use a Kluson type Strat or Tele tuner?

3. There is a Fender nameplate between the necks, but no Fender logo on the sides. There are the metal diamonds on the sides though. Should there be a Fender logo on the side?

4. Any thoughts as to price? It has a walnut color finish and looks relatively intact other than the above items.

Thanks!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 2:46 pm    

Hi Ron. I'm not an expert or anything so I'll just tell you what I know or think I know. That sounds like my Dual Pro. Mine has the nameplate between the necks but no logo on the front. Tuners are rarer than______(fill in the blank). Maybe someone else can give you replacement advice but this is certainly an issue with the old Fenders. BTW--the date of th instrument can be found by unscrewing and lifting out one of tuner pan assemblies.
I believe the Seymours sell Fender type legs
http://www.steelguitar.net .
In good playing condition these guys can sell in the $400-600 range--someone will correct me if they differ on this.
Hope this helps.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 3:09 pm    

Anything less than $750.00 will shock me on the rising market of the Hawaiian Steels.If I saw one for $400.00 I would be back in the early 90s.

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 4:42 pm    

xxzxx

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 5:50 pm    

hey ron i just did a post where i said i thought i overpaid for a dual pro a few months ago 685.00, but now seeing what things are going for maybe i didn't.like mike said if you really want it you'll pay, thats what i did. mine is a1953 all original except for the neck switch.one tuning peg doesn't work it slips so you can't tune that string.is that a major thing to get fixed on an old steel like this? and should i let anybody who works on guitars do it or someone who knows steels? thanks for any advice anyone. Will

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 5:55 pm    

xzxzz

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 6:25 pm    

Ron I build and repair a number of steel one that I am restoring for myself is a triple neck Fender Professional. I need a complete head I found it at Ed Naylors. I know he has the legs. The tuners can be repaired with parts from other tuners . To replace a tuner you have to solder a new one to the pan that can be a job if you must the secret is be MR CLEAN get all dirt off befor you start. If I can be of any help my email is STEELSCODY@aol.com

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 7:47 pm    

Ron:
If the Fender Dual Professional has the round tuning knobs, there is a way to fix them good as new when they strip out. They almost always strip out inside the knob, rather than the tuner stem itself stripping. For accuracy you will need a drill and a drill press or have someone do it for you that has them.

Take the stripped knob off the stem and, using a toothpick or a small nail, measure how far the old hole was drilled into the knob. Think of the old hole as at the 6 oclock position. Turn the knob slightly until it is at about a 7:30 position and drill a new stem hole from the outside edge the same distance toward the center. Be sure that your drill bit is slightly smaller than the stem so the stem can cut new grooves in the new hole. Then tap the knob back on the stem with a rubber hammer. Since the old hole is toward the bottom, it is invisible, but you can also get a tube of the paste aluminum that hardens when it dries, squirt it in the old hole and sand it at the edge for near complete invisibility.

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 8:08 pm    

Correction! I removed a key knob from my Dual Custom and noted that the key stem is smooth, not grooved like several other brands of tuners. This one had stripped out and I fixed it several years ago. I did so by drilling a hole through the center and threading it for a set-screw. I think if I had it to do over I would drill from the edge to the center and thread the knob for a longer set-screw.

The original tuning keys on these guitars were not the best quality. Have any of you Dual Custom or Dual Professional owners replaced the tuning keys. What worked best?