The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacher A-22 Frying Pan
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2004 4:02 pm    

Well, I thought I would try here before sending it off to Ebay this weekend. I am selling my late 1930's or more likely early 1940's prewar Ricky Frying pan. This is an all original 6 string A-22 with 1 1/2" magnet and original case. The cool thing about this guitar is that it has retained almost all of it's original finish in excellent condition. If you ever wondered what a Frypan looked like when it came from the factory, then this is probably as close as you will get today. The silver finish on the back and sides is nearly perfect with only a few nicks (8 to be exact) but no play wear at all. These guitars were coated with a clear lacquer which has usually turned an ugly brown and flakes off giving most frypans that really beat up look. The lacquer on this is still mostly intact and the top still shines like a mirror. The lacquer gives the guitar a really nice gold color. There is only a little pitting in the finish on the top of the pan where your fingers rub. Pickup is original and looks like new. Not even any dirt in the coil. Original pot works great. Tuners look and work like new (except a slight yellow color to the white buttons). The Rickenbacher logo plate is a very cool, very shiney two-toned brass and it looks like new. Round, black volume knob with white arrow. Even all the screws look like new. Brown leather color case with red interior is in equally nice shape and still has both original keys. It looks like Rickenbacher did the same thing as Fender using one case for both the long scale and short scale guitars. This case looks like it would fit an A-25 perfectly but has a red, felt covered block to fill the space for the short scale. Fender just let the shortscale Stringmasters rattle around in the case. This guitar has sat under a bed in it's case for 60+ years before I bought it and played it.

At some point in it's life, someone (factory?) added a tone control by drilling a hole on the opposite side from the volume control on the top. They did a great job and the two holes are aligned perfectly (not off center like most I have seen) but in order to do this, they had to move the output jack a little forward of it's original position. Again, the holes were done very well and don't look bad at all. I had a problem playing the guitar with the tone control on the lower side so I removed it and pluged the hole with a small black plug. I also put the output jack back in it's original position and plugged that hole. I still have the pot and matching tone knob (same black knob with white arrow but a newer pot) and will include them if you want to put it back. It is possible that it was done at the factory but I cannot confirm it. It is also missing one of the small black fretboard position markers at the 12th fret. All of the other red, blue and green ones are in place.

Well, that's about all I can say about it except that I really hate so sell it but I am. Most dealers get $2500.00 for these in any condition. I am selling this one for $2500.00 which is a lot of money but not for a frypan in this condition. I can take pictures for those who are truly interested in purchasing it. Please don't waste my time by asking for pictures if you are not interested in buying it. I will be putting it up on Ebay this weekend unless it sells here first.

Thanks,

Harry

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2004 10:49 am    

Harry I am interested. I know pictures are a pain but I would like pics if you cnn manage it. send them to KDail86024@aol.com
thanks

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 03 December 2004 at 10:50 AM.]