The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D10 marlen
Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:39 am    

If any one is interested,I came across what appears to be an older D10 lacquered marlen in a music store nearby.It has a birdseye maple deck and it is set up and in one piece.It even has a beautiful red sparkly case.They have a $700.00 price tag on it but will take considerably less.I don't know what kind of a deal this is,but I can get anyone the information or pictures if you're interested.I recently bought a MSA vintage from them.They we asking $1100 and I bought it for $800.00.It had sat there since May and I set it up at home and it was practicaly in tune still.As soon as my back recovers from carrying it I might be able to play. Ken

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 8:01 am    

Ken, I'd like pictures. You can send them to dunc1957@optonline.net I already have one beautuful older Marlen, but, hey, you never know.
Duncan

[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 13 November 2004 at 08:07 AM.]

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 8:18 am    

Duncan,I will call them and have some pictures sent.They are a vintage guitar store and I'm sure they have that capability.I own a home in New Smyrna beach,and I think it's still there!Ken

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 8:50 am    

Hey Ken, I just moved here from New Smyrna Beach. I used to have a place in Coronado Towers on north beach. If you wan, I could run by your place and check it out. I'm only about 30 minutes away.
Duncan

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 11:05 am    

Ken-check your email

Brian C Peters

Eagan Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 11:45 am    

I’ve also checked out this Marlen D-10 a few times. The guitar does not have any knee
levers and I believe only the E neck is rodded. It has the Emmons style keyheads, clear plastic / Plexiglas over the fretboards and the pickups appear to be stock. The metal parts definitely need some polishing. What's unusual about this guitar, is the front apron. It has a design throughout that has been engraved into it. It looks like it could have been done professionally, but I could only guess if this was done when the guitar was built. This guitar would be a project . I’m not sure this post belongs in For Sale: Instruments???

Brian

[This message was edited by Brian C Peters on 13 November 2004 at 11:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by Brian C Peters on 13 November 2004 at 11:47 AM.]

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 12:03 pm    

I'm new to this forum business and I thought this would be the right area.As I said I don't know if this is a good or bad instrument I just thought I would let you know about it. IF it were a find for someone that would be a good thing.

Ken

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 12:16 pm    

Brian P-Thanks for that info-It sounded like a bargain at first-maybe not can you describe more about the plexiglass covered fretboards?-I am only familiar with the commonly seen ones with the musical notes on them

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 13 November 2004 at 01:15 PM.]

Brian C Peters

Eagan Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 2:05 pm    

Ken, you got a real nice guitar. I hope your back recovers from hauling it around!

Paul, I believe the fretboards are stock, but they have clear piece of plastic over them. I haven't seen many Marlen PSG's to say if that's original or not. I also sent an email to you. Let me know if you received it.

Brian

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 3:42 pm    

Ken, if you think there is a find out there for any member of the Forum, put it anywhere it seems to make sense. It is greatly appreciated, at least by me. Even though the Marlen you found may not be the greatest, the offer to check on your home is still good.
Duncan

[This message was edited by Duncan Hodge on 13 November 2004 at 03:43 PM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:14 pm    

I had an old Marlen Speedy West model once. Th fret board was actually a piece of printed paper, held in place under the plexiglass.

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:37 pm    

Duncan,thanks for the offer but my neighbor tells me concrete blocks don't blow away,but the beach did!I hope I can stop by the next time I'm down to check out your guitars.

I hope I did'nt mislead anyone.Part of my business is restoring wood boats and I can appreciate a good piece of wood.I've brought the dead and rotten back to life.I hope someone can bring this beautiful instrument back to life.

thanks

Ken

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 5:19 pm    

Hey Ken,
I went to NSB today. The Breakers has lost it's whole back porch and is condemned. Also, the whole back patio of Toni & Joe's is in the ocean and it is also condemned. All in all there is no beach left. About 12' of sand has washed away. I don't know what this has to do with buy and sell, but it made me sad to see anyway
Duncan

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 5:57 pm    

Yes Leonard had several different designed fretboards. Mostly all Marlen fret markings are the musical notations; but there were some special "speedy west Marlen" with a different design like the one below. He made screened fretboards right on a metal board(like we're used to seeing); but he also had a fretboard on paper that went underneath plexiglass. If you look at the many different Marlen's in the "House of wood" at my site below; you will see something different about each one almost..ha.
Here are some>

Oh and the "yellow and black" Marlen is for sale when I'm done...ha...Depending on what I do; it can be had for a grand; but if I do a BIG ole job...it will be more. It's a 1972 "special paint" Marlen.

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2004 8:35 pm    

these guitars look similar to the one I looked at.When I was looking at the undercarriage it looked more like it was hand made other than machined out.Is that common with these models.

your guitars look great

Ken

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 4:22 pm    

Ken, all the Marlens were hand made, one at at time. All metal parts have to be machined, even if they're made one at the time. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. For an old Marlen with no knees, $700 wouldn't be much of a bargain.

Those paper-under-plexiglas fretboards are from the early 70's or earlier, I think. Wouldn't you say so, Ricky?

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 15 November 2004 at 04:42 PM.]

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 4:30 pm    

Hey Ricky, you didn't tell me that you had even more Marlens. I really like the yellow/mustard one. I still love the one you did for me. I even play it every day, although the quality of said playing is variable.
Duncan

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 4:46 pm    

I do have pictures I can e-mail.I've been trying to figure out how to upload them.I should probably let my kids do it for me!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 5:08 pm    

Yeah Rick that sounds about right.
Ken; if you send the pictures to my sshawaiian@austin.rr.com I can put them up here if that's what you want. I can't buy the guitar but maybe someone would. Oh and can you read a serial number on the plate underneath?? if so; what is it?

Duncan; the yellow/mustard is for sale pal if you want it>it's yours. Chris Lucker is sending me two more knees to make it 4 knee 8 pedal. But if you want it before I strip it and get the body redone; I'll sell it to ya for 900.00; but if I strip and redo the body; it will be in the 1500.00 range..ah..ha...So if you like the cool yellow; ya better jump.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 15 November 2004 at 05:09 PM.]

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 6:30 pm    

Hello Ricky,
I was just commenting on how good your work is. I just sold my Fessenden and appear to have located a totally restored ZB D-10. If it is as good as it sounds, I will have the two best steels in the whole world, the Speedy West Marlen that you refurbished and a ZB. I wish I could afford another Marlen, actually I could afford it, especially at $900, but my wife has a strict two steel rule. She does let me play them pretty loud as often as I want to, even in the house. Although, she keeps reminding me that I am supposed to be turning the garage into the "studio".
I will put a plug in to anyone reading this that your work on the Marlens that I have seen and played is truly amazing. Anyone who can should jump at the opportunity to try one.
Duncan

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 9:58 pm    

Hey Duncan thanks for the kind words pal and I can dig man.
Ok Ken sent me some shots of this particular Marlen be presented here and it is a very first run Marlen probably late '60s like '67;'68 or '69 and No they didn't come with knee levers then...ha....Here it is>

Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 15 November 2004 at 09:58 PM.]

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 9:47 am    

Ricky D-What do you think of those "hash marks" in the front apron? I thought Marlen started making pedal steels in the mid 50's but I must be wrong if this is the first run type and was not made until the late 60's

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 16 November 2004 at 11:15 AM.]

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 10:13 am    

The emblem says "Marlen Custom Guitars" and they really were "custom". Every one was unique.

I agree with you on the date, Ricky... possibly a little earlier.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 16 November 2004 at 10:14 AM.]

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 2:59 pm    

Ken A-I called that store today that has the Marlen for sale-Nate was not in but some other guy told me that they are asking $760 for it-On consignment-But if I wanted to make a "reasonalble offer" that they would take it to the owner-I didn't have the heart to tell him that the reasonable offer (according to Ricky D) would be about $400- considering the amount of work it would need

Ken Anderson

Minnetonka Minnesota
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 3:47 pm    

Paul,They told me that when I bought the MSA.It had a a price of 1200.00 and I offered them 625.00.I wasn't trying to be cheap but I figured for that kind of money my ignorance wouldn't be that expensive.

They told me they wouldn't call the owner so I left them my buisiness card.There was a message at my office before I got back that they would take 750.00

This guitar needs work and they have no Idea why they're asking their price

The MSA set up and plays good.But I've got the itch for another.

lookout for the KIds college fund

Ken