The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for string ferrules
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 26 Dec 1999 2:48 pm    

I need to replace the small string ferrules/bushings on my six string maganatone (c. 1948, blues pearloid, same as Dickerson model). The strings pass through the body, and these are the small ferrules on the top of the guitar next to the bridge. The strings have gouged through the originals and into the wood below. I've checked some musical instrument parts sources, and have looked for a suitable retro-fit part, such as hollow rivets and eyelets, but can't find anything that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Cliff

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 11:27 am    

If these ferrules are like Fender units here is a on the road trick for when " oh no, one fell out and I lost it and there is no where to get a replacement!"
Get a small washer in a hardware store, you may have to grind the outside diameter down to make it fit in the hole. The main thing is you want a solid surface for the ball end to sit on or you will have tuning problems.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 11:38 am    

And further, if we are talking Fender type ferrules then they can be had at any guitar parts dealer including www.stewmac.com .

John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 12:57 pm    

Cliff,
Jason didn't read the problem. Yours is a common one. I solve it by boring out the string hole in the top of the body with a 1/8" drill, if it is not already 1/8", and then inserting the center conductor of an RCA phono plug. Use a drill press, if possible, when drilling the guitar. I use Radio Shack Part No 274-319; four for $1.99 or about $.50 each. The outside diameter of the center conductor on the plug is .123 inches and fits nicely into a 1/8" (.125") hole.

1)Drill the center conductor of an RCA connector with a 3/32" drill to expand the hole in the end
2)Cut away the outside grounding shell of the RCA connector;
3)You should have only the center conductor remaining with an 11/32" diameter insulator around it;
4)Break away the insulator with a pair of diagonal cutters.
5)You now have a ferrule with a nice lip around it to push down into the 1/8" diameter hole.

I used to use pieces of the brass barrels of ball point pen refills but they are a little undersize at .119 inches and I had a hard time expanding them to stay in the hole.

The bottom of the hole is addressed as stated by Jason above- A #4 flat washer is 3/16" (.1875) diameter with a hole that will pass the ball end wrapping of a .070 string. A 3/16" counterbore on the bottom of the guitar solves that problem and you have to do nothing to keep the washer in the counterbore. With proper gauge strings (you're asking for trouble if you try to pull a string up in pitch more than two frets), you should never have to replace the ferrules.

Yes, as Jon said, Stew-Mac sells Part #173 and #196 ferrules from size 5/16" to 3/8" but you also need a minimum of a $30.00 order.

Regards,

John

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 2:35 pm    

Cliff: I've seen ferrules almost identical to the Magnatone ones in a Home Depot, in a variety of sizes. At most you should have to ream the holes out for a larger diamater ferrule. A common problem with Dickerson-made instruments.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 1:06 am    

The 1/8" pop rivet (pull out the nail) trick worked great. I filled the gouged-out wood and used long size rivets. These hold the strings pretty good, and look like what was in there before.
Thanks for all your help.
Happy Holidays,
Cliff