The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  d10 Dekley and 50's kay bass
david berzansky

san diego
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 5:12 pm    

a fellow steel player called me today with these two items for sale. the deckley is reported to be very clean and has 8 and 5. thats all i know except for that he will take about a $1000 for each. i really dont have anything to do with this other than he asked me to post it for him. he lives in palm springs and his name is roy bains.
760-251-4902

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 7:25 pm    

Know anything more about the Kay bass? Condition or Price?

david berzansky

san diego
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 11:25 pm    

sorry jim i dont know the model or the condition but he did say he would take $1000 for the bass and $1000 for the steel. he is a real nice guy in any case and would be very helpful if you gave him a ring.
thanks
david b

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 9:30 am    

What color is the Dekley

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
MCI D-10 , Peavey Sessions 500 & 400 Limited ,Nashville 400
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Gary Ulinskas

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 8:10 pm    

I took a drive out to Desert Hot Springs today to look at the Dekley and play it. Here is MHO.
1. This is a restoration project.
2. It has 4 knee levers, but 2 of them are not connected. Only the LKL ("F") was the same as the copedant on my guitar. The RKL was not the "D" lever I am used to (8th string E to D#) but lowered the 9th string. It was very frustrating to try to play. The B pedal would only raise the 6th string G# about half way to A. I did not want to mess with another person's guitar so left it as is.
3. There is an aluminum facia strip on the player's side of the guitar body that is bulged out about 1/8" between the tuning keys and the 9th fret. I can't imagine what could cause such a phenomenon. Maybe it was the fact that it was 105 deg F outside, and even with Roy's air conditioner chugging away, it must have been 85+ deg F inside his mobile home.
4. The sustain at the upper end of the guitar
seemed to be better than that of my MSA. But the tone of my MSA (I installed a True Tone pickup in it) seems better to me. (I was using my own amplifier to test the Delkley.)
5. With a new set of strings, and adjustments to the mechanicals, this would probably be an
OK instrument, but after putting all the work I have done into my MSA, I am not about to take on another project.
6. My opinion could also be biased by my reltive newness to playing pedal steel and the fact that I have been playing a Single U-12 for a year. I could not get comfortable sitting at a D-10.
Hope this helps anyone who might be interested. Sorry I did not have the foresight to bring my digital camera with me.

------------------
Gary Ulinskas
MSA S-12 + Walker mono

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 9:46 am    

gary,

is the dekley a slimline model or is it a older model 70's if the person selling it could get in touch with me buy email

thanks
paul wade
msad10@yahoo.com

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 11:28 am    

Quote:
3. There is an aluminum facia strip on the player's side of the guitar body that is bulged out about 1/8" between the tuning keys and the 9th fret. I can't imagine what could cause such a phenomenon. Maybe it was the fact that it was 105 deg F outside, and even with Roy's air conditioner chugging away, it must have been 85+ deg F inside his mobile home.

One of the plastic bushings on a Dekley cross rod has to be "end closed", else the cross rod will float and push on the fascia "cover".

What is the model number stamped on the underside?

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 16 August 2004 at 12:30 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 11:45 am    

It's D-E-K-L-E-Y! We didn't use any closed end bushings on the models with the back plate. It sounds like someone forced the back plate on without making sure the other end of the cross shafts were in the front bushings. That back plate is pretty stiff and I've never been able to force it back by hand.

Gary Ulinskas

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 12:47 pm    

To Paul Wade:
Sorry I cannot answer your question about the model or the serial number.
Mr. Bain does not have a computer so you would have to contact him by the phone number given in the earlier part of the post.
I drove out to Desert Hot Springs honestly thinking I was going to buy that guitar, which is why I did not bring a camera. But after trying to play it, I realized my wife would be kind of upset if I brought home another instrument that needed a lot of work.

------------------
Gary Ulinskas
MSA S-12 + Walker mono