The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weissenborn copy question # 2
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 11:43 am    

While looking for a reasonably priced hollow neck hawaiian gtr I came across Superior guitars (formerly K&S).The price is 675,00 so I don`t expect it to be a Bear Creek or Scheehorn.Lindley uses or has used one and has nice things to say about them on their website (Berkeley instruments).Anyone out there own one?I would be thankfull for an evaluation.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 3:36 pm    

These are pretty good guitars, especially for the price. They use a variety of wood combinations, some of which sound better than others. Which one are you considering?
The guitar bodies are made in Mexico and finished in Berkeley, CA.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

David T

Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 8:03 pm    

I have played a couple of the K&S mahogony and spruce Weissenborn copies and liked them very much. David Lindley is on their web site talking about how much he likes his but notice that he makes a point of qualifying that by saying that he likes them with a Sunrise pickup in them. I agree, they sound fabulous plugged in. Acoustically they're pretty good too. I almost bought one myself. - Dave

David T

Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 8:04 pm    

I have played a couple of the K&S mahogony and spruce Weissenborn copies and liked them very much. David Lindley is on their web site talking about how much he likes his but notice that he makes a point of qualifying that by saying that he likes them with a Sunrise pickup in them. I agree, they sound fabulous plugged in. Acoustically they're pretty good too. I almost bought one myself. - Dave

jsaine

Charlottesville, VA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 5:20 am    

I bought one about a year ago with a Spanish Cedar top. I like it, especially for the price. I also put a Sunrise system in it which I like as well.
Jeff

Hideki Hattori

Tokyo, Japan
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 3:00 pm    

As I have both of an original Weissenborn and a K & S Weiss copy, I could say K & S with a Sunrise sound better than a Weissenborn. It's something about the way they're made. I use my Weissenborn only when recording with a tube mic, that's when it makes a difference, and what a difference!