The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 tuning
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 11:58 pm    

Hi all,
I'm a new player (I play a six string), and I'm interested in learning the C6 tuning. I've got medium gauge regular electric guitar strings on it, and been playing in GBDGBD Dobro tuning, but these strings are hard to get to the C6 tuning I've seen (ACEGCE). Can any one recommend a good gauge or set of strings to use for the C6 tuning? Also, can you recommend good instructional materials for learning this tuning? Does any one know of any good teachers in the Long Beach, Calif. area?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cliff

Al Braun

Dunnellon, FL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 1999 4:57 am    

Cliff
First: Your tuning should be, from the top:
E C A G E C. When you get a little more advanced you will be able to retune the bottom C to C# which will give you a tuning
called C6/Am7. This will add a lot to your playing, especially the Hawaiian sound.

Second: DeWitt (Scotty) Scott who would take a back seat to very few on the C6 steel guitar, publishes several good teaching aids.
Among these are, "20 Solos for non pedal lap steel in C6th", which is full of tabs for slow beautiful favorites. Also comes with tape. Address is: Scotty's Music, 9535 Midland, St. Louis, MO 63114
Phone 314/427 7794
Scotty's also has a web site, you can get the address from b0b's home page or Brad's Page of Steel.
I think the best advice I could give you is to learn to read music. That way you can take the melody line from any song written and play it the way it was written.
AL

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Dec 1999 10:59 am    

Hi there! Jerry Byrd used to use spanish guitar strings on his 6/7string Rickenbakers.
He used second strings for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings; a plain 3rd stringsfor the 4th; and flat woundfor the rest. These were all Black Diamond strings. I use these strings on mine and have for years. The tone cannot be beat. Good Luck.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 1999 6:11 pm    

E,C,A,G,E,C# is a C6/A Dom 7 - NOT a C6/Am7. A standard C6 tuning(E,C,A,G,E,C)is ALREADY an Am7. C is the minor third of the key of A, so C# is the major third of the key of A.
You are right though about Scotty's non-pedal C6 course - there's some great stuff on it.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 12:10 am    

You can buy strings by the gauge at many music stores. Here's what you need for C6:

E .014
C .017 plain
A .022 wound
G .024
E .030
C .034
These are the first 6 gauges in the 8 string Herb Remington set from the forum Products catalog at www.b0b.com/products/strings.html

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 12-13-99]

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 10:23 pm    

Thanks for all of your helpful responses. You've given me some really good info to get started with. I'll be getting some of those DeWitt Scott books for instruction. I've heard that Jerry byrd puts out a pretty good book, too.

Cheers,
Cliff