The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Legs
MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 1:40 pm    

I've looked around and tried what's out there, to put legs on a Lap Steel, and the expense and routing didn't seem practical to me. We just came up with a screw on version that the Dexco legs will work well with for sitting or standing. It's on my "hot sheet" under the store at www.melobar.com. It will fit all the Melobar lap steels and I think it will fit most lap steels that are out there. This isn't the stand for the Supersteel that we still are going to release in a week or so, just a quick easy way to put them on an existing lap steel.

Tripods are still a bit wobbly under tremelo, I think we could put another leg on the neck side, but is it real necessary? What's been everyone else's experience with tripod?

Ted

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 10:49 pm    

Ted.. Why not forget about legs and go to the light X-frame keyboard stand. I did and it works perfectly and is very stable. You can customize it for any non-pedal guitar. I'll e-mail you a picture of mine if you wish. It sure saves a lot of hassel and expense and looks good too.
... Billy

Doc Isaac

Kaneohe,Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 11:20 pm    

Hey Ted, I think that's a great idea. At least it give us another option when we have to stand and perform. thanks,

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 12:24 am    

Hi, Ted, the best thing about the screw on legs may be the easy length adjustment, great for sitting or standing and different height players. Most of the folding type stands have just a couple of height "stops" that might make it hard to get just the right level. Tripods are a tad wobbly, I've thought I was going to knock my '49 D-8 over many a time... but not so bad on the triple necks, and the tripod design has a real advantage on an uneven or crooked stage. I like 'em.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 7:26 am    

The first band I worked with who had a steel guitar (that was where I caught the bug)used an unidentifiable lap steel which was taped to a kid's toy ironing board.
In principle it doesn't seem like a bad idea. In practice it was useless.

------------------
Cheers!

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 8:00 am    

Well I agree that the key board stand is the easiest quick way and I like it's steady feeling, you guys that have seen the free video have seen me showing one. But I think Mark hit it on the head that the Dexco legs are great for fine adjustment. And I hope it eliminates nightmares that Dave mentioned.
The triangular physics of that tripod has one odd thing, it's more solid as it gets higher.
Ted

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:44 am    

Not so odd if you consider the higher you set the legs, the further apart the three are at the bottom! Now if I could just get some nine-foot legs and a stepladder...

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 12-10-99]

Billy Jones

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 6:39 pm    

Consider the cost of legs and flanges and the cost of putting them on against the $50 for the modified keyboard stand and I think you would choose the latter. Don't forget that I said "modified". All that takes is shortening the top rails and maybe adding a hole in the stop plate. Some people think that the guitar will slide on the top unless it is locked down... not true. Once the guitar is set on top you can push it and the stand will move first. I haven't seen any keyboards fall off yet.
Mine is first rate and looks like it was made for my guitar and, of course, it was.
This method sure helps keep the price of the guitar down...
... Billy

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 9:36 am    

Again I agree that the key board stand is the cheapest and easiest. But I'm glad to finally be able to have an answer for the the guys who've wanted detachable adjustable legs. We did a new angle on the back legs that took the wobble out, thanks for the emails on that.

Ted

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 7:33 am    

Keyboard stands don't work for me. Here's why... the X-style stand pretty much dictates that the legs will be about as far apart as the top struts when set up - it's simple geometry. Unfortuantely, I use an SKB pedal board underneath my steel that is almost always wider than my steel.

Bottom line, X style keyboard stands never allow me enough room under the guitar to place my pedal board. The angled-out Dexco legs do give me enought room. Just something (else) to think about.

Billy Jones

Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 3:44 pm    

Sorry to hear that Mike.. You are an isolated case. My guitar is 34" long and I have no trouble sitting or standing.
Most of us use volume pedals only.
If my instrument was shorter, I would, as I said before, customize it to fit. That's not a problem. Some small laps cannot be adapted for legs so that is why I suggested this method. It is strong and sturdy and will not wobble.
... Billy