The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster spacing?
MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 11:03 am    

I need to double check some measurements on the new Stringmaster type instrument we are building. Could some of you with various years do a check and see what the spacing is from the bridge to the center of the 1st pickup magnets and then to the 2nd pickup magnets. Really appreciate it, I need to know if there is a discrepancy over the years.
Thank you,

Ted

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 11:26 am    

Hi Ted,
What is the spacing between the strings going to be on this instrument?

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 12:45 pm    

Ted,

My mid-50's triple 8 measures as follows:

bridge to 1st pickup: 15/16"
bridge to 2nd pickup: 2 7/16"

These measurements are center to center. You do realize that the bridge is adjustable for intonation by means of 2 screws on each end? This is where mine's set up for best intonation.

Hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Bob Kagy on 11-11-99]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 12:58 pm    

2/56 neck date D-8 Stringmaster, from flush against the nut side of the bridge to center of pickups...13/16" and 2 and 5/16" or 37/16". (2 5/16" didn't look right typed)
Aloha,
Mike

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 1:30 pm    

Big Help Bob, Mikey!
Look at the variance there. OK, how much total adjustment does your bridge have Bob, and how much have you used? What is the general shape of the intonation? What tuning?
Mikey, is your bridge adjustable too? If so, same questions along with string gauges in co-ordination with the intonation?
Are they both 24 1/2" scales? Are they both at 24 1/2" now?
This is a big help guys, Thank You!

Gerald, Everything we build now is custom so whatever string spacing you want, that's what we will do, with-in the confines of the pickup magnets. This guitar has both the Duncan and Lawrence pick ups which came off of the Stringmaster vintage pickup spacing and Cindy Cashdollar's guitar (see CC-8 lap steel).
This is that modular Supersteel that you should be able to change pickups-bridge and nut string spacing-add dobroism-change necks with 2 thumb screws or take A neck with you as a lap steel when you want. So we need every variable possible. Couldn't do it without this kind of input.

Ted

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 3:56 pm    

Ted,

I measured from the *center* of the bridge which probably accounts for the difference between Mikey's numbers & mine. My bridges are about 5/16" in diameter.

The scale length is 24 1/2"

The intonation screws (2) at each bridge would allow me to vary the bridge about 1/2" total travel. The 2 screws allow one to vary the distance of the bridge at the bass and treble ends of the bridge. The adjustments I've made have the bridges at almost the farthest setting (shortest from nut to bridge). I adjust the bridges to get the 12th string harmonics to occur right over the 12th fret using a tuning meter, then check with the bar over the 12th fret.

But. There are slightly raised pads on the chrome pickup plate that the bridge rides on. The length of these pads are about 3/8". So that potential 1/2" change is more realistically 3/8". Comprehende?

The shape of the outside necks intonation is bass side of the bridge shortest by about 1/32, tuning straight A6th. Middle neck is opposite with treble side shortest, about the same amount, tuning C6th/A7th. Inside neck is equal (straight bridge), tuning E13th.

Regards, Bob

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 6:00 pm    

Ted,
Adjustable Bridge, Short Scale, 22.5"...Intonation set up w/ strobotuner w/ bar on strings...Bridge in perfect condition...almost fully extended towards the nut..Total amount of adjustment is 1/4" either way from center...1/2" screws...maybe 1/32" difference between Treble and Bass strings in regards to bridge angle...Tuned C13 and E13....Also, center to center between the 2 pickups is 1.5"
Hope that helps,
Mike

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 7:02 pm    

Great help, and thank you everybody, from the emails, to the extra time and effort from Bob and Mikey.

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 11:28 am    

Error alert on my 1st post.

I posted 1 7/16" from center of bridge to center of 2nd pickup - should've been 2 7/16".

Apologies to anybody who went off and used this number. Thanks to Mark Marlowe for catching it.

I've edited and corrected the post.

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 3:29 pm    

the best sounding stringmaster I think was the long scale whitch was 26 the bridge on it was adjustable the as the 22.5 . The tone of these guitars was the mix of the two pickup not it was a blance of both not one or the other.

------------------

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 4:08 pm    

I've gotta admit I never knew Fender made a 26" scale Stringmaster....I always thought it was either 22.5" or 24.5"...Learn something new every day!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 5:42 pm    

Hey, Mikey. I've read enough of your posts to defer to your knowledge. I don't know much and what I do know is reliant on limited sources but here is what I have learned based on a particular book about Fender (I forget the author but he is seriously obsessed with details so he may know his stuff). This is a result of buying a Stringmaster sight unseen and then trying to figure out just what it was I had.
Fender started making the guitar in '54 as a 26" scale guitar. It has two pickups per neck with chrome covers. It has square slider on/off switches for neck on/off, not individual pickup controls nor does it have a blender pot under the bridge cover. Soon thereafter, in '55 or '56 they abandoned the 26" scale and offered the two shorter scales. The author says that it was because of the bar slant problem on the long scale as well as string breakage problems tuning up to C6 on a 26" scale. He also claims that Leo Fender thought that the long scale had the best sound of the lot. I have heard from players who have no trouble tuning up to C6 but maybe strings in the 50s weren't as good as they are now. I have never played the shorter scale guitars so I can't offer any comparison. Hope this is informative (and accurate).

BTW--for Ted--I can't imagine that the specs on my 26" guitar would have any relevance to your designs so I haven't bothered providing them but would be happy to do so if you need them.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 11-11-99]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 6:55 pm    

See!!!...Learn something new every day!!!
Aloha,
Mike
BTW, oddly enough, there is one up on ebay...

[This message was edited by mikey on 11-11-99]

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 1999 8:55 am    

Interesting information on the 26 Jon. We have built the Supersteel to take a 26" scale but I don't expect to see many. The 24 1/2" has that good long scale sound and so far has been what everyone has ordered. One question on that long a scale, does it seem to stretch out of tune a bit around the 5th through 12th frets?
Ted

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 1999 12:58 pm    

Ted--I wish I could give you some useful info about that but unfortunately as of yet I am only a Stringmaster owner, not a player. Pedals have demanded my attention for the time being (but how hard could that be, I should have that mastered in no time) and learning non-pedal playing has ended up on the back-burner. But I do know of a couple of other 26" players on the forum who could probably answer that. Perhaps, if you are interested enough, it merits its own inquiry.
-
-
BTW--I just want to make it quite clear that I am in no way trying to pass as an expert or even an informed source on any historical subjects--my research is scant and my knowledge is full of holes. All I know is what I have picked up out of interest in the subject. I welcome correction and thank anyone who can expand my knowledge base. I am a newcomer to these great instruments.
It really excites me to see Melobar working so hard to embrace the evolution of the instrument and carry it forward as a modern musician's tool.
I look forward to owning a Melobar when the time, need, and $$ coincide.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 11-12-99]