The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestions on instructional material
Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 25 Oct 1999 5:54 am    

I have a friend who broke his back in high school and lost the used of both legs. He is anxious to learn steel and I suggested he try a single or double 8 on legs. I am willing to get him started on the basics, but I play a pedal guitar and feel once he gets started, some good instructional tab type material would move him along. Any help on this? Where can we pick up some of this kind of instructional material or other help you guys can suggest?

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 1999 8:27 am    

J.M.- Jerry Byrd's "big" book is great. Over 300 pages of priceless info with tapes to play along with. You can get it through Scottie's. Also Cindy Cashdollars tapes are very good too. Hope this helps.

Jim

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 1999 10:17 am    

I recommend Don Curtis' tab and tapes, also from Scotty's. There is also some very interesting looking stuff available for the Leavitt tuning if your friend is into swing; check http://www.megsinet.net/~junod/musicmikeihde.html

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Oct 1999 6:27 pm    

Aloha,
The Byrd Book from Scotty's is VERY good, but if your friend can, nothing beats a good teacher, live, one on one,
Best of luck,
Mike

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 1999 5:12 am    

Where is this Byrd book on Scotty's site? I don't think it's still in print.

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 1999 7:00 am    

Chris-I don't know if the book is on Scottie's web site or not, but it is still in print. You may have to call them and ask for it. They do have it, it is listed in their latest (July?) catalog.

Jim

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 1999 7:33 am    

You should find out what type of music your friend wants to learn on eight string steel (assuming he wants an eight string steel). The Jerry Byrd book is excellent, one of the premier learning courses for nonpedal steel, but somewhat expensive.
Cindy Cashdollar's videos on Western Swing (distributed through Homespun Videos) are a good way to get started as well.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 26 Oct 1999 12:35 pm    

Thanks alot for your tips. I did get in touch with Scotty's and the Jerry Byrd instruction course is in stock (although expensive). I also have one of Cindy Cashdollar's videos on hand. I think he wants to play country of western swing, at least based on what he listens most to. He's played a little dobro so kind of has a feel for what he needs to do. I have another question. What are some of the popular tunings going around now for 8 string? Anything like is on my C6 neck? Thanks again for the help.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 7:48 pm    

Try any of Stacey Phillips materials for dobro or lap steel, especially The Complete Dobro Book which comes with two CDS. His video and audio series from Homespun Tapes are also very helpful. Best of luck! steve from beijing