The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on building own resonator ?
Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 1999 7:35 pm    

Hi all ,
I am looking for some fool-proof instructions , ( for me ) on how to design and build my own resonator . I have a good guitar neck , completely fretted , and I want to make a small travel/practice style of resonator guitar , so the resonator would very small too . I'm not after a professional finish here , any kind of finish will do , and any help at all would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks in advance ,
Ingo.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 21 Oct 1999 1:14 pm    

Ingo. I've build a few resonators. From metal bodies to electrics, so maybe I can help. First, what kind or neck do you have, Square/round? And what type of guitar are you looking for. Lap style or spanish? There isn't really much of a choice as to resonator size. The Dobro/spider type is 10" and the National type is 9". Tricones used a 6" cone but these are unsuitable for single use. If you're looking for a travel lap steel design check out the Resophonic Outfitters site, Paul Beard (he better start paying me advertising commision) has a real neat portable steel with a National type cone and coverplate. Feel free to email me if you need to.

Mike

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 1999 6:40 pm    

Hello Mike ,
That's great , thanks for the reply .
Ingo.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 22 Oct 1999 7:55 am    

I've played Paul's travel guitar. I believe it actually uses resonator mandolin components to keep the size down.

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 22 Oct 1999 1:41 pm    

National mandolins used the same resonator and coverplate as the guitars, but these were bisquit cones. There are mandolin cone and spider setups that are smaller. Does Paul's travel guitar use the spider design? I have only seen it on the website and figured since it has a National type coverplate that it used the bisquit cone. How was the sound?

bill johnson

Post  Posted 22 Oct 1999 1:57 pm    

Hi Ingo
Try Pat Williams "Homemade Lapsteel Guitar" page. She's built several resonators and has some info on the page and asks for questions/comments. On one RezoLap she used an aluminium popcorn bowl for a cone and a pot lid for a screen. And believe it or not it looks and sounds good. I think she visits the forum occasionaly. Good Luck.

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Oct 1999 2:50 pm    

I believe the name is Pat Webster and I am truly a fan. I love the ingenuity of her ideas and will definitely take inspiration from some of the guitars here if and when I get around to some more projects along the lines of resonators and/or lap steels. Check this stuff out--
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/8462/index.html

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 1999 5:55 pm    

Hi all ,
Thank you very much for all the great information , and encouragement . I really appreciate that . Bill and Jon , that's a great site . Thank you very much for the link .
I'm really looking forward to getting started .
Ingo .

[This message was edited by Ingo Mamczak on 10-22-99]

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 23 Oct 1999 6:23 am    

Plus, if you check out Pat's site you can see a photo of a couple guitars I built. Pat was kind enough to run it after I sent it to her.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 24 Oct 1999 10:04 am    

If memory serves me, Paul's travel reso does use a dobro/spider design with the legs shortened to accomodate the nine inch resonator.

------------------
Howard Parker
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT