The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rainbows All Over Your Blues - Buddy Emmons
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2004 9:25 pm    

I am trying to track down tablature for Buddy's work with John Sebastion many years ago, a real pedal steel classic in my book. He's got a couple of chromatic runs on that piece that have stumped me for years. Any help out there?
Thanks -- Dave

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 5:17 am    

It is a great solo, but I only have it on vinyl (with no t'table). Post a clip and which sections are a problem and I/we will try to help.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 6:25 am    

You can download it at www.buddyemmons.com.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 9:10 am    

Steve,
Can you post the link?
I can't find it there.

------------------
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 9:15 am    

i don't see it there either

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 30 October 2004 at 10:17 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 9:47 am    

It's at the top of the 70's section on the "Fun Stuff" page here: http://www.buddyemmons.com/fun_stuff.htm

Right click on the link to save the MP3 to your computer.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2004 5:11 am    

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2004 7:21 am    

Larry,

I've got "Rainbows" on my to-do list so if you get it tabbed out, I'd appreciate a copy.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2004 9:51 am    

Steve / Dave,
I just dl'd the mp3. All I've done so far is the intro. I know how to play the rest but haven't had time to tab it yet. I'll tab the chromatic stuff next and then post the whole solo.

Here's the intro:
Rainbows All Over Your Blues   KEY:F

INTRO
1-8~~~~---8~~~~-----|---------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|--
2-------------------|---------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|--
3-------------------|---------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|--
4-------------------|---------|-----15##------14##--13##-|----13-------12b-11b------|---------8---7##-6##---------|--
5-8~~8##--8##~~8----|-8~~~~~~~|-----15##------14##--13##-|----13-------12--11-------|-8##-----8##-7##-6##-----8##~|~~~~~~
6---------------8#--|-8#~~~~~~|-----15#---15#-14#---13#--|----13-------12--11-------|-8#----8-----------------8#--|~~~~~~
7-------------------|---------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----------------------------|--
8-------------------|-8b~~~~~~|--------------------------|--------------------------|-8---8-------------------8---|~~~~~~
-----2----3-----4-----1-2-3-4---1----2----------3----4---|----1---2----3---------4----1---2--------3-------4-------1--2--3--4

This is the chromatic part (M9 - 16)

1---------7~~8------|----------------7~~8---|---------------------|---------------------------8----
2----8--------------|-------8b~~8-----------|---------------------|--------------------------------
3-------------------|---------------------8~|~8#---9----9---------|-9-----9------------------------
4--8----8-----------|--------------8--------|---------------------|------------------------8-------
5-------------------|-8~~8##----------------|------9----9b-----9b~|~9-----9b--------8~~8##---------
6-------------------|-----------------------|---------9-----9-----|----9------9--------------------
7-------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------------
8-------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------------
---1-----2----3---4---1------2------3----4-----1---2-----3----4-----1------2-----3-----4-----------
Meas 9----------------10-----------------------11--------------------12---------------------------

1--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------|----------------------------|
2--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------|----------------------------|
3--8#---8--7--6---3#--2#---|-1#-----------------------|------------------|----------------------------|
4--8b---8b-7b-6b--3##-2##--|-1##----3##--2##--1##-----|--1-----8~~~~--8--|-8~~~~~-----8~~~~---8---5~~-|~~6
5--8##--8--7--6---3##-2##--|-1##----3##--2##--1##-----|--1-----8~~8##----|-8##~~8-----8~~8##--8##-5##~|~~6##
6--------------------------|--------3#---2#---1#------|--1---------------|--------8#------------------|
7--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------|----------------------------|
8--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------|----------------------------|
---1----2-----3---4-----------1-----2-----3---------4-----1--2----3--4-----1-------------2----3---4
Meas 13------------------------14------------------------15------------------16------------------------

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 31 October 2004 at 11:20 AM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 11:10 am    

I see that I am not alone in my appreciation for this piece of work. In particular, the last four measures (9-12) of the solo are the part that I have never figured out. There is another chromatic bit in there as well but I don't at the moment remember where. I copied it to my woodshedding MiniDisc from a scratchy distorted old LP so that I can work with it without further trashing the vinyl.
Thanks for all the responses, we'll get this one "licked" before we're done :>) dg

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 7:40 pm    

It's noteworthy that MM9-10 can also be played like this:

1----------------8--|-----------------~~8---|---------------------|---------------------------8----
2----8--------------|-------8b~~8-----------|---------------------|--------------------------------
3-------------------|---------------------8~|~8#---9----9---------|-9-----9------------------------
4--8----8----8#-----|-------------8~~8#-----|---------------------|------------------------8-------
5-------------------|-8~~8##----------------|------9----9b-----9b~|~9-----9b--------8~~8##---------
6-------------------|-----------------------|---------9-----9-----|----9------9--------------------
7-------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------------
8-------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------------
---1-----2----3---4---1------2------3----4-----1---2-----3----4-----1------2-----3-----4-----------
Meas 9----------------10-----------------------11--------------------12---------------------------

using the F lever

------------------

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 01 November 2004 at 07:41 PM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 10:41 am    

Thanks Larry, that was fast -- you got a computer that figures that stuff out or what? I'll take a poke at it. Thirty years of playing with this thing and I finally found where to meet the other players in the world (I know about three steelers locally and two more very far away, that's not much).
Best -- Dave

------------------
Sound Man to the Stars
Pedal Steel Picker with what's left . . .
www.pdxaudio.com/dg.html

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 12:53 pm    

Quote:
you got a computer that figures that stuff out or what?
Yeah, Dave, the one between my ears.

I find it much easier to figure out how to play stuff than to tab it out. BTW, do you need the first 8 bars of the solo? If so I'll work on it tomorrow.

------------------

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 6:36 pm    

Thanks, that part I have down - it's a pretty clever riff. Looking over your tab I realize what I had earlier suspected, that one of my impedements to this chromatic riff has been the lack of an Eb to D (2 string) lever. This was one of the first pieces that I learned from when I first started on this thing years ago. I had a little ShoBud Maverick with no levers at all -- learned to kinda fudge some of the quicker E string changes and be VERY careful not to hit it when it was a wrong note -- raise the B to C#, move up 3 frets and DON'T HIT THE E STRING!
I have played on a late '70s Pro I for the last 15 years and still don't have the third and fourth levers - wanted them bad but there's lots to learn without them yet and my other (real) profession is REALLY expensive (and my wife really smart when it comes to the old dead presidents). Still lookin' for that 3+4 rig but the old Pro I is so pretty, sounds great and doesn't weigh a ton so I just keep on pickin'.
If I get a chance to figure out where the other chromatic riff is I'll post the measures. Thanks, I appreciate the help.
dg

------------------
Sound Man to the Stars
Pedal Steel Picker with what's left . . . www.pdxaudio.com/dg.html

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 02 November 2004 at 06:37 PM.]

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 8:02 pm    

Sheesh....
I had it figured like this;

1-------------|-------------------10~|~11--11------11----|-11-----11------------8-
2----8--------|--------9L-9----------|-------------------|-----------------------
3-------------|----------------------|-------------------|-----------------------
4--8---8-8R~9R|-------------9~10-----|-------------------|--------------------8--
5-------------|-8-8a~9---------------|-------------------|---------------8~8A----
6-------------|----------------------|-----11B-----11----|~11B----11-------------
7-------------|----------------------|----------11----11-|-----11----11----------
8-------------|----------------------|-------------------|-----------------------
9-------------|----------------------|-------------------|-----------------------
10------------|----------------------|-------------------|-----------------------

R meaning half tone raise
L meanng half tone lower

[This message was edited by John Steele on 02 November 2004 at 08:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by John Steele on 29 November 2004 at 06:25 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 6:25 am    

I like your way of playing M11-12 better, John. The one I found was just the first one that occurred to me. The lick in M10 is one that I play a lot and I've always done it all on one fret, using the F lever and the 1st string (like in the 2nd example).

The B pedal is much easier to use than the Bb lever for M11 and 12.

For people copping licks:
Listen for the pedal slurs and determine the interval -- half tone, whole tone, tritone, etc. Try it on several strings, taking advantage of the pedals or levers that move the proper interval.

Thanks, John. Even though both work (the Bb lever and the B pedal), your way is probably how Buddy did it -- I think.

------------------

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 11:44 am    

Larry, cool...

Lloyd Green uses a similar lick in his version of "jukebox charlie" from the Revisited album, which has crept into my vocabulary:

D
1---------------------5---|-----
2---------5L~5------------|-----
3-----------------------5~|~5B--
4---------------5~5R------|-----
5-------------------------|-----
6--5B-5B------------------|-----
7-------------------------|-----
8-------------------------|-----
9-------------------------|-----
10------------------------|-----

All eighth notes.

As far as measure 9 goes, I guess there's a dozen or more ways to do it. Only Buddy knows for sure I'm sure I hear him drop the last note down at the end, before he lands at the 8th fret at the beginning of measure 10, so I just supposed he must have been somewhere above that.
Thanks for making look at that, guys. That solo is a bundle of joy. Anyone who thinks steels are necessarily sad and weepy ought to listen to that!

-John

[This message was edited by John Steele on 03 November 2004 at 02:08 PM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 12:50 am    

Thanks to everybody who jumped into this string for all the insight and enthusiasm. I haven't been able to get that song out of my head for a week now and that's an OK thing. Guess I have to find some more hardware for the old Pro I and start working on the many and miriad chromatic scale options that you all have pointed out. I read in an early '70s interview with Buddy that he changed his copedant constantly, maybe even every few weeks. That'll keep me guessing how HE did it but you're right John, that IS a bundle of joy - after hearing that song when it first came out I HAD to get my first PSG and it changed my life forever. For the better, that is . . . .
Best -- Dave

------------------
Sound Man to the Stars
Pedal Steel Picker with what's left . . .
www.pdxaudio.com/dg.html

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 4:22 pm    

I imagine that we can close this one out, b0b, it seems to have petered out anyway...

------------------
Strung Out on Great Sounds
Dave Grafe - email: dg@pdxaudio.com
PDX Audio
Music

1978 ShoBud Pro I E9, 1960 Les Paul (SG) Deluxe, 1963 Precision Bass, 1954 Gibson LGO, 1897 Washburn Hawaiian Steel Conversion

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 1:51 am    

Hey Dave; I'm the Boss here..ha.. and I say leave it up....as ya never know who might pop in and need more ask more want more: It's good stuff.
Ricky

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 6:17 am    

Great stuff! People ask about it quite regularly...

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 11:06 am    

Sorry Ricky, that very thought came to mind in the middle of the night, kept me awake for hours! I am happy to know that I am not the only one that finds this particular performance to be such a classic, learned heaps from it in my early days with the PSG, I'm still getting a good strctch out of it now and then - found a new full-chord chromatic run a couple of weeks ago as a result of this discussion. It's a doozy and kinda tough to execute but works great, I'll try to tab it out and post it soon.

------------------
Strung Out on Great Sounds
PDX Audio
Music

1978 ShoBud Pro I E9, 1960 Les Paul (SG) Deluxe, 1963 Precision Bass, 1954 Gibson LGO, 1897 Washburn Hawaiian Steel Conversion

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 4:27 pm    

Here it is...

1 |-------------------------------------------|-------1
2 |-------------------------------------------|-------2
3 |-------------------------------------------|-------3
4 |-------------------------------------------|-------4
5 |-8---8##--9##-10##--13---13##--14##--15##--|16##---5
6 |-8---8#---9---10----13#--13#---14#---15#---|16-----6
7 |-------------------------------------------|-------7
8 |-8---8----9#--10#---13b--13----14----15----|16#----8
9 |-------------------------------------------|-------9
10|-------------------------------------------|------10

The beat counts didn't paste right so I deleted them, they don't really matter in this case anyway. Is this a new trick to anyone else? It's a bit clumsy for me right now, in a year or two I'm sure I'll breeze through it.

Best -- Dave

Oh yeah - standard E9th neck!

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 22 November 2004 at 04:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 22 November 2004 at 04:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 22 November 2004 at 04:32 PM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 11:17 pm    

Or you can close it out like this:

1 |-------------------------------------------|-------1
2 |-------------------------------------------|-------2
3 |-------------------------------------------|-------3
4 |-------------------------------------------|13-----4
5 |-8---8##--9##-10##--13---13##--15##--13----|13-----5
6 |-8---8#---9---10----13#--13#---15#---13#---|13-----6
7 |-------------------------------------------|-------7
8 |-8---8----9#--10#---13b--13----15----13b---|-------8
9 |-------------------------------------------|-------9
10|-------------------------------------------|------10

------------------
Production
Pickin', etc.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2004 6:36 pm    

Ok, who's got the lick figured out right after he sings "a bounce on my trampoline" ?
Beaut...

Think Buddy was in a good mood that day ?
-John