The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day's set up on steel and strings
Tom Ensink

The Hague, Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 2:46 pm    

Hi Everybody:

What was Jimmy's set up on steel and strings, especially on Bud's Bounce and Steel Guitar Rag.

Are these solos played on E9th?

Thanks everybody.

Tom

[This message was edited by Tom Ensink on 16 June 2002 at 03:46 PM.]

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2002 7:36 pm    

This may have been discussed previously and I believe it may have even been an 8 string D9 tuning.

Try checking with Herb Steiner or Ricky Davis; they'll surely know more...

Also, Jimmy Day published a couple of booklets of tab for E9 tuning that covered several of the songs on that CD. Don't know if they are still available. Again, Herb or Ricky may know more.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2002 8:50 pm    

I know some; but Herb Steiner and Jim Loessberg know ALOT more on this subject.
I do know it was Jimmy's D-8 Permenant Sho~bud and I belive it was tuned down to Eb9th or D9th.
Are you trying to figure out the Open String stuff Jimmy Did?? if so; than listen to that open note your hearing and the texture of the string and I bet you can come up with it....and it's open tone.....and you will find your answer by tuning that note on your guitar down a half or whole tone and that will solve the open tuning issue......but the copendant Jimmy used; I can't seem to remember, but I did know at one time.....but try e-mailing Herb Steiner or Jim Loessberg.....if they don't chime in here.
Good luck; and ain't that just a cool sweet tone Jimmy got???
Ricky

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2002 12:19 am    

Tom, go to " tunings " at the top of the Forum. It gives Jimmy's E-9 set up. It is a bit strange.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2002 1:21 am    

Hello,

I believe the set-up was an 8-string D9th and an 8-string C6th with 7 pedals and no knee levers. The D9th would have been the same as the bottom eight strings of a standard 10-string tuning. I'm not sure which eight strings were used on the C6th. Herb will know.

The solo on "Bud's Bounce" sounds like C6th to me and all of "Steel Guitar Rag" sounds like C6th.

Best wishes,

Jim

Tom Ensink

The Hague, Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 1:25 pm    

Thanks Guys for your replies.

Herb, if you have a chance to give an answer, please do so.

Gee, that's three players (Ricky, Jim and Herb) from Austin. Must be one hell of a steel town. I should go there and pay a visit some time.

And Ricky, tell Dale Watson that he should come to the Netherlands really soon. His fans miss him already. And you should join the Europe tour again, if you have a chance.

(Was that you, Ricky, playing on South of Round Rock Texas or would that be Herb?)

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Tom

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 2:27 pm    

Hey Tom; that was Scott Walls playing on that cut.....and three years before I joined Dale. Herb Played on "Leave me Alone" on the "I hate these songs" project; and you should check out what Herb played>Awesome> and I have to try and play what he played every night....heck my fingers are hurting just thinkin' about it again.
Oh and Scott is in Austin too.....and there are more.....we are giving San Antonio a run for their money in the Steel guitar department.....which they have many more and each one can play their a$$es off.....dang those guys.
Dale is coming over in Septemeber pal...and if it pays good and is easy.....then I'll come too......yeeee haaa.

Ricky

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 6:44 am    

Tom
I'm replying as per your request, but Jim Loessberg has said everything I would have said, so I refrained from contributing.

I don't offhand recall what song it was, but when I heard Jimmy play an open-string lick in Bb with an obvious open D note, I knew it had to be D9 tuning. Jimmy smiled when I told him of my "discovery."

Yes, Austin has some good players lurking around. As to top-shelf Austin steel players past and present,... though I'd exclude myself from the list... we also have Marty Muse (Derailers and Robert Earl Keen), Bert Rivera (Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Famer), Jimmy Grabowske (legendary 50-60's picker and future Hall of Famer), and the under-appreciated Lynn Frazier (who wrote all steel parts for Best Little Whorehouse in TX).

Additionally, Jim Murphy is a part-time area resident due to his gig with Asleep At the Wheel.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 7:09 am    

Since Herb so graciously "excluded" himself from the list......I'm now "including" him........so there...
Herb you are an icon here pal; we love you.
Ricky