The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wtb: George Benson gb-10
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 1:49 am    

I know this is a shot in the dark on b0b's
Steel Guitar Forum, but I'm looking for a 1970s or early '80s GB-10 or other Benson model. Blonde preferred but sunburst might work too. Thanks, steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 28 September 2004 at 02:50 AM.]

Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2004 10:21 pm    

Hi Steve, hope all is well. I have a matched set of Ibanez AS200 and AF200 or (AS2000 and AF2000) SB. The Ibanez are built better than anything in this price range. The AF is more like across between the Benson and L-5. I bought them thinking I was gonna get back to playing guitar than had 2 car wrecks in 2 months and couldnt hold one for 2 yrs so they are new. no more than an hr on them. Stay safe over there and I either want a Panda when you come home or REAL Chinese food!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2004 8:48 am    

Hi, Steve, wish I still had my Benson to sell you! The one I had was one of 7 prototypes given to George, and I believe is pictured on several of his album covers. He gave it to Phil Upchurch, who sold it to Don Mock, who sold it to Steve Freeman and eventually it came to me. Fantastic guitar... I used to wonder if it even appreciated my playing after all those talented fingers had been on it! Unfortunately, I had to let it go. Sure wish I could afford to collect. How's China?

steve takacs

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2005 2:03 pm    

rsing to the top

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2005 9:27 pm    

Hi Steve,
George Gruhn has one right now for $1600. www.gruhn.com

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 4:14 am    

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33043&item=7302621622

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

steve takacs

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 4:57 am    

Paul & Basilh, I contacted both sellers and found out Gruhn only offers a month holding period, so that's out. Am still waiting to hear from the EBAY seller. Can't come up with half of the funds until June. I was hoping to buy from a Forum member, but that is looking doubtful. Appreciate your help. steve t

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2005 4:51 pm    

Hi, Steve,
I have an early '79 GB-10, Sunburst, with factory road case. Original issue, signed by George, etc. I'm not really eager to sell it, but I could be tempted, since I'm not using it much these days.

Incidently, the one pictured on the Gruhn website appears to be the cheaper Korean version that was produced in the nineties (maybe it still is, I don't know). It lacks many important features of the original, like a spruce top, ebony fingerboard, ebony bridge with decorative inlay, and multiple bound fingerboard. The original also has "George Benson" inlaid in pearl at the bottom of the fingerboard, and a signed label inside.

It's confusing because both versions were sold at the same time, but I think there was some designation in the model number that differentiated the two. GB-10JS or something like that indicates the cheaper one. Ibanez still offers a model that is similar to the orignal spec. I'm not sure whether the cheaper Korean one is still sold, or whether the "original" style is still made in Japan.

I remember seeing the Korean version selling new for considerably less than Gruhn is asking. The originals bring much more. Let the buyer beware.

[This message was edited by Jerry Gleason on 28 February 2005 at 05:54 PM.]

steve takacs

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 3:15 am    

Hi, Jerry, Thanks for the info... Will you let me know if you received my email. It appears to have bounced back, but you may still have gotten it. steve t

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 01 March 2005 at 03:59 AM.]

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 10:13 am    

Steve, I didn't receive your e-mail. I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced back. Try my comcast account, jazzplayr@comcast.net.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 2:07 pm    

Hi, Jerry, Just sent an email to your Comcast address; please let me know if you received it. I won't be able to answer for a while since I head for work in the next hour. Thanks, Steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 01 March 2005 at 04:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 01 March 2005 at 04:28 PM.]

steve takacs

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2006 7:44 am    

bumping from oblivion... steve t

steve takacs

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2006 4:45 pm    

Bumpo ...still looking for the GB-10 Thanks for responding, guys. steve t

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2006 5:04 pm    

Steve, check www.gbase.com, then do a search. There's usually some listed there. And I second the motion-try to get the Japanese one if you can. Also, unless you're just set on the JB, take a look at the Fender D'Aquisto Elite - a single humbucker, great neck, and they probably came from the same factory. MOst were made around 1984 and they came in natural and sunburst - great value for the money.
Skip

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2006 1:43 am    

Steve, there are 2 GB 10s on E-bay right now.

Fpr what it's worth, I have 1973 Gretsch Country gent. This is the improved version with real F holes, that was re-designed by Duke Kramer and Chet Atkins when Baldwin bought the company. Some people, including Art Wiggs, who ran the Gretsch factory authorized service center, have said that this is the finest guitar Gretsch ever made (even if it was made be Baldwin.) I don't know enough about them to say that, but at one time I also had a '67, and after comparing the 2, I sold that one and kept this one.

I had a chance to compare it with a GB 10 and thought that it was the better of the 2.

There's one of these on E-bay right now too, and for a lot less money. You might want to consider buying it as an alternative.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2006 7:53 am    

Something else you may want to look at is the new Korean made Ibanez AF105. I got one a couple of months ago and it is the best quality of any import guitar I have ever seen. It plays and sound great, mine has one floating pickup, but you can also get them with two top mounted humbuckers. They sell for $550-$650 street price and that includes a well made hardshell case. Steve Laury of the old Fattburger band is playing one now and has nothing but good things to say about it, and he used to have an endorsement deal with Gibson.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2006 8:48 pm    

Darvin. Your right about the AF series Artcore Ibanez. They are the best value in an electric guitar out there right now. They make three different AF models. The newest is the AF103 double cutaway semi hollow body.

I have the $200 AF75 in orange that sounds every bit as good as any Gibson 175 I have ever played. I will probably pick up the 105 with the double built in pickups.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2006 7:18 pm    

I have a Joe Pass Epiphone I got for Christmas last year that I like alot.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 5:10 am    

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140059240481

steve takacs

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 5:05 pm    

I'd like to thank all of you members for posting. In June, when I'm back in the USA, I will check out your suggestions about the new Ibanez guitars. In the meantime, please keep those tips coming. steve t

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 12 December 2006 at 11:39 PM.]

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 10:45 pm    

Hi Steve. I have a GP mag somewhere around here with some info on the GB10.

I also have a blue book of guitars that has specs on it. Looks like there were several versions of the George Benson Ibanez guitars. GB5, 10, 10JS, 12, 30, 100. They are all similar in looks, but the GB10 appears to be the top of the heap and the most pricey.

My book states this model was made from 1978 to at least the date on my book 1997. If you would like any techincal info from the book, let me know. Best of Luck!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 6:58 am    

Hey Steve, for something that looks like the old Gibson that George played think about an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe. I have one and wouldn't part with the thing. They're around a grand or so with case. It's a large natural finish archtop with gold hardware and three (count 'em) P-90 pickups. It has three volume controls and one master tone control. You can really dial in a lot of great tones with this guitar. What's cool is that the center pickup is wired with opposing polarity to make it hum cancelling when added in. Say you're using the neck pickup only and you have a little noise like most single coil pups have, you can just bring up the volume of the middle P/U to where you can't really even notice it but it'll reduce the hum a bunch. I use mine mostly for some gigs with an Elvis impersonator for those old Scotty Moore licks. Plus for Merle Travis type finger style tones it's got it nailed.........JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2006 9:27 am    

Steve.
I'll second what Bill Hatcher says about the Artcore Series Ibanez.
I bought a new AG75 6 months ago on eBay for $239.
Absolutly the best deal going for a great sounding arch top.Workmanship and finish is unbelievable for the money.
As they say" You owe it to yourself to try one out".

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 5:56 am     Archtop guitars

This may be of interest to some of our younger guitarists. It helped me when I was looking for a jazz guitar back in 2004
We sure have a number of steelguitarists here that also play 6 string archtops. A wealth of knowledge. Stevet

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 7:51 am    

When my guitar player and myself get together he has his choice of instruments and he always grabs my arch top Samick.
Check those out, very nice! Very Happy