The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chromatic fills and licks
Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 12:22 pm    

Hey guys,could you give me one or two real nice licks or fill to use on country stuff? I am workin with a singer who really liks them,and I want really impress him!
Dave Frye ShoBud S12 Ext E9th

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 3:14 pm    

Dave
Heres a chromatic lick I learned a few years ago from Jeff Newman. Jeff calls it THE KILLER of which it is. Play this lick slow & they will throw you out of the band but play it up tempo & they will bragg about you all night You must hear this lick in your head before you try it. Do it very slow at first & then speed it up when you have it down. Keep the A&B pedals down all through the lick.

Example: Key of F

2 7 6~~~5 5 4
4 8~~~7 7~~~6 5 5~~~4

5 4

Rick

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 5:56 pm    

I love that lick of Buddy's from "Honkytonkitus". I wouldn't reproduce it here though, as he has it tabbed out in his "Intros and Turnarounds" (the first one).
Great chromaticism for raising eyebrows. Now, if I could just get to play it smoothly..
-John

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 7:21 pm    

Buddy Cage has gotten a lot of mileage out of several variations of that lick, both ascending and descending. Listen to the New Riders arrangement of "Hello Mary Lou" (on the "Panama Red" album as I recall) -- 'course he played it like a bat out of hell and clean as a whistle.

It's one of those fun licks that makes you feel like you're on the edge of a cliff and then you resolve it at the last minute.

LTB

Dayton Osland

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:18 pm    

Thanks for the info on Buddy Cage. "Hello Mary Lou" is one of my goals in life and I have never even been able to come close to figuring out what he is doing.

I got a peddle steel because of Buddy Cage, Bobbie Black and Ralph Moonie. Buddy used to "steel" the show with the NRPs.