The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'll Come Running?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Oct 1999 1:41 pm    

I would very much like to have this tab critiqued. I rarely care about the "correct" way to play something but I am very curious to know if some of my solutions to this are correct (or even close). I have it in my head that this is Lloyd Green. Am I even right about that?
Some of this is based on just the way it sounds rather than what would otherwise seem to be the most 'efficient' way.

2nd string L is D#>D
2nd string LL is D#>C#
4th string R is E>F

Bar 6, rather than writing as a repeat of 5 is written as an alt. way. Can't decide.

1----------------------3----------------------------|------------------------------10----------|
2---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
3-----------3-------3-------------------------------|---------------10b--------10b-------------|
4--3-----3-------3--------3-------------------------|-10---------10---------10--------10-------|
5------3------3---------------3a---3----------------|--------10a--------10a--------------10a~10|
6----3---------------------------------3~~gliss to10|----10b-----------------------------------|
7---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
8---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

1---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
2-----------------------------10L------10L~10LL-----|---10L-----10L-----10L------10L-----------|
3--10b-------10b-------10b-------10b--------------10|-----------------------------------10b~~10|
4---------10--------10------------------------------|-10------10------10-------10-------10c~~10|
5-----10a--------10--------10--------10--------10---|------10------10-------10-------10--------|
6---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
7---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
8---------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

1-15----------14----------13-----------------------|15-------14------13------12~~11--12--13-12-|
2-15----------14----------13-----------------------|15-------14------13------12L~11L-12L-13-12L|
3------------------------------------10~9-10-10b-10|-------------------------------------------|
4------------------------------------10~9-10-10c-10|-------------------------------------------|
5-----15----------14----------13-------------------|---15-------14-------13--------------------|
6--------15b---------14b---------13----------------|-----15b------14b------13------------------|
7--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
8--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

1--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
2--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
3--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
4-10------10-------10-------10------10-------------|----6R-----8R----10R----8R---6R------------|
5-10a-----10a------10a------10a-----10a------------|----6a-----8-----10-----8----6a------------|
6----10-10----10-10----10-10---10-10----10-10-10~~~|----6------8-----10-----8----6-------------|
7--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
8--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

alt. bar 3

1----------------------------------------------------|
2-----------------------------10L------10L~9L--------|
3--10b-------10b-------10b-------10b--------------9b-|
4---------10--------10-------------------------------|
5-----10a--------10--------10--------10-------9a+L---|
6----------------------------------------------------|
7----------------------------------------------------|
8----------------------------------------------------|
1 2 3 4

alt. bar 8

1------------------------------------------------
2------------------------------------------------
3-----3-----3b-----5b------3b-----3--------------
4-----3-----3c-----5c------3c-----3--------------
5-----3-----3c-----5c------3c-----3--------------
6------------------------------------------------
7------------------------------------------------
8------------------------------------------------

Block 'til you drop.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 10-02-99]

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 1999 5:44 pm    

Hello Jon ,
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the song , but I have played the tab , and it sounds great . Thats a beautiful Carter you have too .
Ingo.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 1999 9:29 pm    

Hi Jon, that was Weldon Myrick with Connie Smith doing back up vocals on "I'll Come Running". I also believe Weldon tunes his 2nd string to C sharp and raises it to D and E flat as needed.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 10-02-99]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 1999 9:57 pm    

I read someplace that Weldon's 2nd string is D natural.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Oct 1999 2:22 am    

Very interesting because I tune to D natural and raise and lower it with separate levers so the tab was actually 'naturalized' for standard E9, presuming a double lower D/C#. That descending double stop stuff in bar 5 is giving me fits trying to block clean. My palm block technique has a natural flaw on strings 1 & 2 where the pinky leaves a little gap and this is really testing me.
Ingo--this is the ride from Graham's Real Audio page on Bar Chatter. Think VERY fast tempo and VERY staccato blocking. Thanks about the guitar.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Oct 1999 5:51 am    

Jon,
The intro to "I`ll come running" are written out by Weldon himself in the book " A manual of style". I`m pretty sure its possible to get the book from Jimmie Crawford. The book includes a lot of tabs of some very difficult steel instrumentals but its very good.

Terry Bethel, John Hughey, Jimmie Crawford and Weldon Myrick all have a couple instrumentals tabbed out. Also includes two records (the soft ones).

Regards,

Dag Wolf

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 1999 12:40 pm    

Hey Dag. Thanks for that info. That would be the second Winnie Winston book and I keep forgetting that I want it. Thanks for reminding me.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 12:20 am    

Hey Kenny; that sounds alot like Lloyd Green on that Connie stuff. Do you have somewhere where it says it was Weldon? Both those guys did share alot of recordings with the lady; but something just tells me it was Lloyd. Ok; my brain is in a trivia fury now; who can substantiate it?
Ricky

Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 5:38 am    

Ricky, While driving in to Nashville one evening a few months ago, I was listening to
WSM and they were featuring Connie Smith. Just before performing that particular song, Connie talked for a few minutes about Weldon and that he was playing steel on that cut.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 12:00 pm    

”I`ll come running” was the song that open up the session work for Weldon. After that song his phone really started ringing.

All the best,
Dag Wolf

------------------

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 12:46 pm    

Wow; you learn something new every day. I have heard alot of Weldon Myrick; but never heard him play like that. I mean with the very ubrupt pickin' tech like Lloyd. I guess I need to search further for Weldon's stuff; cause I sure like the way that sounds. Thanks guys.
Ricky

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 1:06 pm    

I was with you, Ricky. That picking sounded like Lloyd's picking on, for instance 'Loving Machine' by Paycheck. It just feels so Lloyd. I also want to find more of Weldon's stuff now.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 1:49 pm    

I guess quite a few players used the chicken pickin` palm bouncing style during at that time in Nashville. I must agree that this playing ain`t what I connect to Weldon. He also did ”Once a day” with Connie.

Another great song he did is ”Whiskey River” with Johnny Bush. To me Weldon is Weldon on Reba`s album ”She`s single again”.

Late seventies and during the eighties Weldon were first call for norwegian country singers recording in Nashville and he caused me a lot of headache untill I got the pick-blocking down.

All the best,
Dag Wolf

------------------

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 1999 8:20 pm    

Jon; I'm gunna have to say; WOW. Your tabbing skills are most excellent and it looks to me like you tabbed that section pretty dang good. I haven't sat down with it yet; cause every time I get half way to my steel, I think how much that solo is gunna hurt my hand
During that era of music; like my friend Jim Loessburg said: "It's so hard to tell Lloyd and Weldon and Hal apart, cause they all went for that chickin' pickin' style and played it real well. I have a word out to Herb Steiner; who has the box set of Connie; and he is gunna look or allready knows who played that. Not saying I don't trust any of ya'll kind folks; but I have to know from the true masters of knowledge from that era. As I look at Jons' tab more; the patterns there look so much like Weldon Myrick; that you folks are probably totally right; but I still have never heard Weldon play that style that fast and that abrupt, it behooves me. As you all probably guess; I am obsessed with that era; and want to gain all the knowledge I can from the players that made the styles of steel guitar as we know it. I feel it is my job to carry on that tradition of the roots and not let it die; as so many steel players are trying to take the steel guitar into the modern world and progress it right off the map. Ok; I'm rambling
Ricky

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 2:41 am    

Weldon tunes his 2nd string to C# , the reason were that before he started playing Emmons he played Sho-Bud . Weldon wanted that C# note but those old Sho Buds didn`t lower very good so he started raising the 2nd string to D and D# on separate knee levers.

Weldon`s ”old style” sounds a lot like Lloyd, another thing is it that like Lloyd Weldon do not lower his 4th string E to Eb.

Ricky, I got the most of this info from the book ”A manual of style” it also contains a whole lot of history of the development of the pedal steel. If you`re in to this I strongly recommend this book. As I said in a previos post you can get it from Jimmie Crawford.

And thank you for keeping the old style that I love so much alive!!!

Dag Wolf.

------------------

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 10-06-99]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 5:13 am    

Wow Dag; sounds great. Where would I get one of these books? Thanks for the info and well appreciated.
Ricky

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 5:45 am    

Ricky,
I think Jimmie Crawford address is:

Pixenbar music
112 South Valley Road
Hendersonville, Tenn. 37075

Maybe someone on the Forum can confirm this.

Good luck,
Dag

------------------

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 6:19 am    

Tom Bradshaw lists this book on his website as well as Winnie Winston's First book. This link is on the forums internet links page.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Doug Dietrich

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 10:30 am    

Many years ago I had a series of 4 tapes that I think I ordered from Tom Bradshaw that were put out by Emmons School of Steel Guitar. They featured 4 instructors with a year of instrumentals - 13 each-1 a week with tab. The 4th instructor was John Hughey featuring many of the songs he did with Conway Twitty. The bonus song on the tape of Hughey was him playing an instrumental version of I'll Come Runnin'. It was only a couple years ago I learned that it wasn't Hughey on the Connie Smith original but was in fact Weldon. But John could also sure play that style when he wanted to.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 2:16 pm    

It was indeed Weldon, but Hughey cut it with Conway on one of his early 70s albums. Gets very close to Weldon's original, while putting his own signature stamp on it.

(if the singer in my band knows that Conway did it, he's gonna want to do it onstage. Yikes!)

I saw Connie Smith a few months ago, and she described the song as just a throwaway that she came up with on the road one time. A throwaway that is, til Weldon came up with that crazy run... at which point it became the song that she used to stump steelplayers that were trying out for her!

Jack Smith was playing with her that night, and he did a great job with it.

Look up some early Connie records for more of Weldon's hotpickin genius. 'Connie in the Country' comes to mind. His ride on "Y'all Come" is phenomenal. There's also some more of that quick pickin on the Area Code 615 albums, which was an allstar band of Nashville's finest (Buddy Spicher, Charlie McCoy, Weldon, etc.) He was also featured steeler on some Chet Atkins albums.
Weldon is mentioned in the Moe Bandy thread on Bar Chatter. I haven't heard any of that stuff.

BTW- what year was "I'll Come Running" recorded?

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 1999 7:15 pm    

If I may add some fuel to the "fire", The confusion of who is it, Weldon or Lloyd? About the time "I'll Come Rinning" came out, Lynn Anderson recorded a song called "Promises Promises" that used Lloyd Green and the steel work in comparison was quite similar in the phrasing. I am guilty of gettin' the two songs confused.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 1999 5:23 pm    

Ok; I found out from the "Great one"; and it was indeed Weldon Myrick that played the steel on that Connie Smith song. I'm not saying I doubted anyone; but that style stumps me sometimes as to who it was. Anyways; all I can say is "WOW", what a steel part.
Ricky

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 1999 6:33 am    

playing more regularly than anyone on the opry, weldon played this kinda stuff all the time. more than anyone else he has blown my mind with the ease with which he lays out speed pickin', chicken pickin', fiddle riffin' licks. all this to be slapped in the face at the end of his opry career!

Anders Lindby

Island of Gotland in Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Oct 1999 8:43 am    

The tab sure looks great,but for those of us
who never heard it.

Is this the correct version?
here on Real audio pages
The forum is getting better and better,thanks

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders Lindby on 10-09-99]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Oct 1999 9:59 am    

In my opinion the single biggest flaw of standard steel tab is that it is virtually meaningless if you don't already know what the music sounds like. Definitely DO listen to the ride as provided by Graham on his great site.
As I told Ricky privately, I am hoping that someone will come forward and say "I don't think that's how he's doing it. It should be like this..." because A) I am hardly an experienced tabber and by all rights there should be errors and B)Ricky ain't kidding, my hand hurts just thinking about that 5th bar double stop descending stuff. Somebody tell me there's an easier (accurate) way. Please. Mr. Myrick, sir, are you out there?